Sponsored by:

My day with my 81 C3

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 03:44 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My day with my 81 C3

Well I thought I was doing something easy, turned into a big mess. I had to move the C3 into the garage in preperation to install a new Carburetor. But first I have to move the C4 and C5 out of the way (just not enough space for all 3). C5 and C4 start up right away but the C3 is dead. This was my fault of course but the weather has not stabilized enough to get it out from under cover. Well so I think darn I can spend all day trickle charging it or I can jump start it. I move the C4 into position hook the jumper cables up like your suppose to and start the C4, get in the C3 turn the key and I get smoke coming out of the alternator. I think damn what did I do? I double check the connections all is correct and I'm frying my alternator!!!!
I think to myself this isn't going well, now I've not only got a dead battery I have a fryed alternator. So I says to myself, well that alternator has been on here a long time so I'll just get me a new one and a new battery and be done with it.
Order the alternator (course it won't be in until tomorrow). Go and start the process of pulling the battery and the alternator out of the car. The battery comes out Ok then I start on the alternator, after several trips back to the tool box to get the right socket and box end wrenches I think to myself - I better take some pictures of the connections - I don't want to screw this up when I install the new alternator. I take two pics of the wire connections and then I proceed to disconnect the alternator. Now things start going down hill.

1. Drop a lock washer - crawl around on ground finding it.
2. Drop a the bolt for the BAT connection - look on ground under car - can't find it, look under hood on frame - still can't find it. Now I'm getting pissed. Figure - OK well it will turn up later.
3. Continue to disconnect the termnal 1 and 2 connector - Connector comes out but both wires break off. Now I am really pissed! I hope I can somehow fix this - I can not solder worth SH*T never could - I always make a big mess.
4. Move on to top bracket bolt - comes out with no problems.
5. Move to lower bracket bolt - the long one that runs through the alternator. Find out these are metric - go back to tool box find number 15 metric wrench - start turning bolt find bolt and nut turn all the way through - go back to tool box and find another number 15 for back side.
6. Lean over engine bay - breaking my back to slowly get bolt off of the nut - takes forever.

So now I have the alternator out and have to wait a day for new one to come in. I start looking at the connector that plugged into terminal one and two and I call up the pictures - wouldn't you know it the way the connector is mounted on the installed Alternator they are at a downward angle and don't show up will in the picture. I am not sure what exactly was connected to terminal 1.
I think it is a brown skinny wire - the red one is heavy gage and is still attached to the connector. I need help - anybody with an 81 want to take a pic of how the wires are connected to the terminals for me? I sure would appreciate it.
Also while I was removing the BAT connector there is a bracket that gathers a bunch of vacuum hoses and routes them over to the left fender - one of these hoses appears to be cut or broken and I can't figure out where it goes - I have to take the breather off to see where it was picking up the vacuum from and then figure out where it was sending it to. I'll take a picture of that to, maybe someone can help me out there as well.

Well that was my morning - I think, I'll just sit on my butt the rest of the day and not touch anything else on the 81. LOL I had planned on getting the carb installed today - but that's not gonna happen until I can get it running again.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Sorry boss. Can't find my camera.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:44 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The small red wire goes on pin 2 and the Brown one goes on Pin 1
Old 04-14-2007, 10:45 PM
bertmeister
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope this helps.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:53 PM
M6 Vetter
Melting Slicks

Wow, sorry for you bad luck, just one of those days But hope everything works out tomorrow. Keep us posted tomorrow and maybe post some pics while you're at it
Old 04-16-2007, 09:57 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Got the new alternator and new Optima Battery yesterday (Sunday). So far the weather here in Maryland hasn't stayed warm enough or clear enough to do squat outside. Another bonus - Advance Auto Store had the pigtail for the alternator - that the connector with the thick read wire and the thin brown wire.
I got a question for all you guys that do your own wiring. What is the best way to splice two wires together and cover then professionally?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:08 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Solder and Heat Shrink it.

You may have to clock the alternator so the wires match up in the same location as original. I had to do that when I did mine.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 AM
82MDVette
Drifting

Cut the wires back in the harness the length of the pigtail wire with a couple of inches left on to play with. Strip the wires on the harness and the pigtail to expose approximately 3/8 inch of wire. Cut a 1 to 1-1/2 inch piece of heat shrink and slide it on each wire. Solder the wires together (I prefer the pencil type as opposed to the guns). Let the wires cool for a few seconds and give them a good tug to make sure it is a solid connections. Slide the heat shrink over the soldered wires and use a cigarette lighter to shrink the heat shrink. Cover the wires in the wiring harness.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Originally Posted by spedaleden
Solder and Heat Shrink it.

You may have to clock the alternator so the wires match up in the same location as original. I had to do that when I did mine.
What is "clock the alternator" ? I've never heard that expression before/
Old 04-16-2007, 01:45 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Originally Posted by 82MDVette
Cut the wires back in the harness the length of the pigtail wire with a couple of inches left on to play with. Strip the wires on the harness and the pigtail to expose approximately 3/8 inch of wire. Cut a 1 to 1-1/2 inch piece of heat shrink and slide it on each wire. Solder the wires together (I prefer the pencil type as opposed to the guns). Let the wires cool for a few seconds and give them a good tug to make sure it is a solid connections. Slide the heat shrink over the soldered wires and use a cigarette lighter to shrink the heat shrink. Cover the wires in the wiring harness.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Hvymtlc5
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Advance Auto sell the replacement alternator wiring connection with the plug..
Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hvymtlc5
Advance Auto sell the replacement alternator wiring connection with the plug..
Yes I know thanks - look 4 posts up - I picked the pigtail up with the alternator.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:00 PM
skydaddy
Burning Brakes

I should prob let spedalden chime in on this but I understand it as taking the few nut & bolts that hold the alt together - removing the bolts & turning the case so that the mounts & plug wires all line up in the correct places. Once everything is lined up - reassemble, install & hook up.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:09 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Originally Posted by skydaddy
I should prob let spedalden chime in on this but I understand it as taking the few nut & bolts that hold the alt together - removing the bolts & turning the case so that the mounts & plug wires all line up in the correct places. Once everything is lined up - reassemble, install & hook up.
Well as far as I can see the replacement Alt looks just like the one I took off. Shouldn't have to change anything - I hope.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:11 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Where can you get a good selection of heat shrink - various sizes and color?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:16 PM
skydaddy
Burning Brakes

When I replaced my alt (this time last year) I did not have to change anything - bolted right up thankfully

Hope yours does the same
Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

[QUOTE=skydaddy;1559844296] I understand it as taking the few nut & bolts that hold the alt together - removing the bolts & turning the case so that the mounts & plug wires all line up in the correct places. Once everything is lined up - reassemble, install & hook up.[/QUOTE

Hopefully the alt is set for your car. I ordered my alt from Mid America and it still wasn't right. I asked my neighbor who is a GM mechanic and he showed me. That Alt fits many different cars and clock position is the way the two prong plug is located for your cars harness.

For the alt to plug in I had to turn the case 90 degrees so the factory cables would fit without extending the wires.

Alt has 4 bolts you need to removeand pull the alt apart. Turn the rear of the case to the postion you need. On the rear of the case you will see two opening by the center shaft. You have to pull back the brushes that ride along the shaft of the alt. Once you pull the brush back insert a paper clip to hold the bruch in place. Now you need to do the same for the other side. Now you put the alt back together.

If you dont do this you will wreck the brushes in the alt and the alt will be garbage.

Most guys at a quality auto parts store will do it for you or help you.

It is no big deal, but if you have never done it. It sounds worse than it is.

Get notified of new replies

To My day with my 81 C3

Old 04-16-2007, 03:09 PM
1Z87L8
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clocking is when you remove the 4 bolts that hold the alternator
case together and spin the housing so your mounting holes
and wiring line up where you need them.

if you bought the alt for the corvette and its supposed to be set up
for a corvette it should line right up

if i remember right Lars wrote a very good paper rebuilding your alternator but i cant find my link.

anyone else have it available?????
Old 04-16-2007, 05:16 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Shrink tube ... Radio Shack will have it ... most hardware
stores ... even Walmart should have some.

If having trouble soldering, your problem is likely lack of flux.
Use any liquid or paste solder flux on the wire joint before soldering.
Flux will make it come out nice ... unless the wires are totally tarnished.
If tarnished, use some fine sandpaper to clean the wire until shiney,
and still use flux. Do not rely on "flux-core" solder to do the job alone.

-Dave (an excellent solderer for decades)

Old 04-16-2007, 05:53 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Z87L8
if i remember right Lars wrote a very good paper rebuilding your alternator but i cant find my link.

anyone else have it available?????
Just drop me an e-mail request for the paper and I'll send it out to you:
V8FastCars@msn.com
Lars

Quick Reply: My day with my 81 C3