Sponsored by:

polished or chrome TTII wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 PM
CaptainHook
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polished or chrome TTII wheel?

I'm thinking of getting a set of TTII. Like others have said, resistance is futile. The question is polished or chrome? Which one do you have and if you can do it over again, would you get the same type? Why?
I've done some digging around, it looks like polished is more durable. It won't chip or peel like chrome and minor scratches can be polished out. However, it requires a lot more maintenance to keep it shiny.
Those with chrome wheels, do you have any problem with them and how long have you owned them? Those with polished wheels, how much work is actually involved in keep them shiny?
How do they look? Is one shinier than another. I have a 71 chrome bumpter vette. Will the polished wheels look out of place in terms of color, shine, etc. or will they look exactly like my chrome bumpers. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:40 AM
wnjlt1
Burning Brakes

polished ttll's . i would not change to chrome if i had to do it over again. have had mines for a little under two years and polished them with mothers once to remove some minor scratches. the car is not a daily driver but does get driven on nice days. polished ttll's finish do not look like the chrome on your bumpers but they definetly will look great on your 71.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:17 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My polished TTs require very little maintenance. The pretty much look like chrome. I would get them again over chrome...

Old 04-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Daytona69
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My AR Hopsters are polished and like Z-man said they really require little maintenance. I have chrome wheels on my truck and think they are a PITA to keep clean...if they hadn't come on it from the factory I would have opted to not get them.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 AM
JUSBAD
Pro

You can't get chrome for the 17", they are only polished,
If you want chrome you have to get the 15".
Polished last longer, you don't have to worry so much about the pitting/flaking etc. that chrome wheels do.

Mine are POLISHED
Old 04-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Xakk
Burning Brakes

Has anyone tried to fit the TTMs on a C3 yet? From what I can tell, the 17s only come in 4.5" backspacing, but I think it'd probably fit with offset TAs. Just wondering. I like the painted centers.

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...lloy&section=V
Old 04-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

My car is not a C3 but this polished TT II wheel might be of interest.

Last edited by Paul L; 04-04-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:54 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have polished TT2s on the 72 and ZR1 chromies on the 91. I prefer the polished. I would not exchange the TT2s but if I had it to do over again I would change the ZR1s from chrome to polished.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Polished here.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:07 PM
BLUSHRK
Racer

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
However, it requires a lot more maintenance to keep it shiny.
it's worth it. Polished is the way to go, even with the chrome bumper. Keeping it clean shows u put more time into your classic auto.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:56 PM
nutseynut7
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Have polished Some polish, mothers powerball, and drill ,plus 20 min a month they stay great

Old 04-04-2007, 05:12 PM
vetteaddic
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered some 18x10 with chrome centers and polished lip .
Old 04-04-2007, 06:45 PM
CaptainHook
Racer

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the replies and nice pictures. I guess polished is the way to go.

Originally Posted by vetteaddic
I just ordered some 18x10 with chrome centers and polished lip .
That's what I was considering getting. Majority of the people here seems to like polished better. Post some pictures and let us know what you think of the chrome center ones.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
dabrogger
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my polished TTII's. I've polished them twice, both times using a Power Ball and aluminum polish. They look chrome but deeper. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 PM
CaptainHook
Racer

Just received my wheels today. They are suppose to be brand new. I didn't see any obvious signs that they are used. However, they are not perfect. I was wondering if you guys have the same problems when you received your wheels?

The first 2 pictues are the same damage (red circle didn't show up very well on the 2nd picture). I can feel the scrapes easily. Will I be able to polish this out? My guess is no.
I can see the mark on the 3rd picture but I cannot feel it. I'm hoping I can polish this out?
I got a few of the dents shown on the 4th picture and a bigger dent on the 5th picture. Will these dents prevent a proper seal and cause the air to leak?

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

who did you buy those from? they are not new wheels I would be asking for a refund or replacement wheels. If you got them from flea-bay and can't get your money back, most of if not all of the fine damage should polish out. The ding should have no affect on the bead holding air. its very high on the outside lip looks like a curb ding. not deep enought to worry about but socks that they came that way.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:20 AM
CaptainHook
Racer

Originally Posted by Jims79
who did you buy those from? they are not new wheels I would be asking for a refund or replacement wheels. If you got them from flea-bay and can't get your money back, most of if not all of the fine damage should polish out. The ding should have no affect on the bead holding air. its very high on the outside lip looks like a curb ding. not deep enought to worry about but socks that they came that way.
I did not buy them from flea-bay. I rather not mention where I bought them right now because I just sent an email to the place where I bought them. I would like to give them some time to reply. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To polished or chrome TTII wheel?

Old 04-17-2007, 02:41 PM
jester4
Instructor

The minor scuffs and blemishes I could deal with, it happens, but those knicks are massive!! Hopefully they make it right for you.

Last edited by jester4; 04-17-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:19 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I can't stand cleaning wheels. I just ordered Coys C5's chromed for that reason, I actually liked a few other wheels better but I wanted chrome

Problem with this thread is finding anyone with Chrome TT II's to get their opinion, so it seems you are going for the polished look because everyone has polished

Last edited by MotorHead; 04-17-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:07 PM
CaptainHook
Racer

So does anyone else have the same problem with their wheels or am I the unlucky one?

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I can't stand cleaning wheels. I just ordered Coys C5's chromed for that reason, I actually liked a few other wheels better but I wanted chrome

Problem with this thread is finding anyone with Chrome TT II's to get their opinion, so it seems you are going for the polished look because everyone has polished
I don't like cleaning the wheels either but I don't have to worry about them pitting and such.

Quick Reply: polished or chrome TTII wheel?