Sponsored by:

Journey of New Interior--Lots of pics 78 SA

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:07 PM
airck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Journey of New Interior--Lots of pics 78 SA

Wanted to share a few pics of my winter project. This started with simply wanting to put a CD player in. Next thing I know I have the whole interior apart!

Once I took the guage cluster out, I found lots of cobbled up wires, two with exposed copper. So, while I was at it I took the console bezel out to repair the wires.

Got a used bezel on ebay cheap and cut it for the CD, preserving my original. A little paint and its good as new.

Also "While I was at it" I put down some B Quiet, and then layerd that with reflectix. Then I put the newly painted bezels back in.

After some input from forum members, I decided to add component speakers in the rear, along with an amp and of course new carpet.

Had the steering wheel recovered at Al Knoch.

Re-dyed almost everything, straightened both seat frames, painted both seat frames, painted the rear deck shelf, tracked down some electrical annoyances, put the 4x6's in the kick panels as they did not fit the dash, replaced all bulbs etc. I must thank all of you on this forum for they help! This is my first corvette, and I'm loving every second of tinkering on it. I'd never even installed a stereo before this, so I'd say I'm proof that with help from all the Vette lovers on this forum, there's no need to be afraid to tackle a project. (Unless it involves a birdcage!)
Old 03-27-2007, 07:51 AM
airck
Advanced

Now it's almost done, passenger side is in, carpet for the driver side is next.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:13 PM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice,
I did my pace car 2 summers ago...man what a project. You didn't go thru the hassle of removing the entire dash....smart cookie.
Mike
Old 03-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Looks good. What size are the rear speakers & what's the brand name I like them.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 AM
airck
Advanced

They are Clarion SRS1686 ProAudio component speakers. 6 1/2. They fit the factory mounts with the adapter, but unfortunately you can see the adapter. The tweeters are easy to mount though and directional. I replaced the cardboard-ish panels there with some 1/4 inch mdf and used the factory mounts.

Originally Posted by Jims79
Looks good. What size are the rear speakers & what's the brand name I like them.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Looks good!!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 PM
airck
Advanced

Originally Posted by 78pacer
Very nice,
I did my pace car 2 summers ago...man what a project. You didn't go thru the hassle of removing the entire dash....smart cookie.
Mike
Thank goodness I didn't have to. It's in pretty good shape. I did take out the easy stuff like the glove box liner and the ductwork. Gave it all a bath, looked for problem wires and stuff, and then put it back together. I spent plenty of time upside down under there though, and all I can say is I'm glad I'm little!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:19 PM
BLUSHRK
Racer

she's purty.

Get notified of new replies

To Journey of New Interior--Lots of pics 78 SA

Quick Reply: Journey of New Interior--Lots of pics 78 SA