value on '71 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:22 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Default value on '71 LT1

hi guys

I normally try to avoid posting questions this vague but i can't help it this time.

Local to me is a '71 LT1 for sale. I need to get some rough. general ideas of the value of the car or LT1's in general since I haven't followed LT1 market prices.
So far the only info I know so far without seeing the car in person is:

1971 LT 1
4 Speed
T Tops
Approx. 58,000 Miles
Rebuilt Carb
Needs brakes and inspection.
Garage kept

A fellow corvette club member who knows the owner said the car has sat in the garage for the last couple of years without being used at all which is why the owner is now selling it.
Acoording to him and the the owner (they are friends) it's a no-hit car as far as they are aware.
body and paint is suppose to be in good condition except for some paint spidering at the rear (spidering indicates to me either the original paint or an older repaint in lacquer).
Frame and birdcage are supposably solid.
i have no idea on the motor to know if it's original or not at this point.
interior is suppose to be in very good condition.

I'm going to try to arrange seeing the car in person in about 2 weeks if I can and will at that time try to get as many of the casting numbers off the motor as possible to try to determine if it's the original block along with other major componets.

Any ideas on the current price range of '71 LT1's in general and also if possible what it may sound like for a possible price range on this car based on the little info I have to go by so far.

Asking price is in the range of low to mid 20's

Thanks for any help

Barry
Old 03-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't follow LT-1's very much, but check Ebay and see what they're going for. I would think in prime condition with matching numbers, they can sell for somewhere between $25k-$35k. If it needs a lot of work, adjust its value down accordingly.

C3's are all over the scale value wise. Cars like LT-1's and big blocks are a specialty within that wide scale.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:49 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

'70 to '72 LT-1's are popular cars currently, a lot of Corvette enthusiasts looking for nice examples (mostly just unmolested cars). Prices for correct, decent condition cars, not necessarily recently restored examples are 30 to 40K. Those restored ones with factory docs to back it up are high 50's to 60's, and climbing.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:15 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 03-25-2007, 08:00 AM
72 LT1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have no idea on the motor to know if it's original or not at this point
paint spidering at the rear
Asking price is in the range of low to mid 20's
With out knowing if it's a#'s matching car or not, its hard to put solid value on it. If it DOES in fact have the #'s matching engine and transmission, mid $20k's would not be out of the question, depending on options and color combo. A quality paint job, replacing all brakes/rotors/calipers and a general tune-up/carb rebuild and you COULD be looking at dropping anywhere from $6k-$10k. If its the "REAL DEAL" #'s matching car, it's worth doing. Now, if it's NOT a #'s matching car, (wrong engine, wrong transmission, bogus options, ect) IMHO, I would walk away. I'm NOT into re-stamping blocks/transmission cases to make things look right. There are too many "REAL" #'s matching 70-72 vettes out there for UNDER $30k that need nothing. Granted they may not be LT-1's, but there are a lot of 350/350 coupes and verts, along w/ a slew of base engine 4spd high option coupes and verts around. Just food for thought. P.S. I bought a solid '72 NOM LT-1 coupe 2 yrs ago. It needed "brakes and tune up/ carb repair and some tlc". The paint/body was (is) very good, although wrong color (maroon) I paid $14k for it. To date I have spent another $14k worth of parts/ repairs doing 90% of the work myself.( I did farm out $800 rear end rebuild.) I forsee another $1k-$2k being spent before its done. I hope to have car on the road this spring. I plan on driving the wheels off of it. I have to, I'll NEVER get my money back! Be carful/Be smart.

Last edited by 72 LT1; 03-25-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:24 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I know of a 72 LT-1 coupe with air, 34000 miles, all original, tons of documentation, definitely the "real deal". Asking price is 60K. Obviously this is the highest end of the scale, and it's not sold yet, but it might give you an idea of where the prices are heading.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

NADA
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...&z=48103&da=-1

Corvette magizine
Old 03-25-2007, 05:45 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

everyone
thanks for the feedback.
yes, I fully realize that i really asked the question prematurely as a lot of the value will be determined after I can find out if it's the original motor/trans etc but I was just hoping to get a general range of what current LT1 prices were ranging in and I think you guys answered that for me for which I thank you.
Obviously there is no way I can begin to make any decision on the car until I personally check it out to see the true condition of the body, frame, birdcage, numbers on the motor, etc.
At this point it's simply an availabe "opportunity" but nothing to get my hopes up about until I can see what i'm dealing with as a complete picture.
I'm well aware of how easy it is from experience to drop $$$$ in a project car and at the moment i'm not prepared to handle another full project as I still have plenty to do on my "To-Do" lists on my '65 and '78 but if the car is in overall decent condition, it does have the original motor/trans, and all it really needs is a carb rebuild and brakes as it's being represented so far than the price sounds like a bargin. If it needs much more than that chances are i'll let it pass for now since as I've mentioned i'm not able to take on a 3rd project at the moment because of both space and budget concerns.

Once I see the car I'll post what I found and ask for help on the numbers as I don't have a '71 NCRS judging guide to know what number SHOULD be on the car but i'll write everything down when i see it and than ask for help identifying those numbers as correct or not from any of you that has the info and it willing to help me decipher them

thanks again!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:40 AM
ccryder
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Barry...

The LT-1 sounds interesting, hopefully you will find it to be fairly correct.

Since owning 2 of these, I have been keeping track of the market for these cars and have collected some of the details that make an LT-1 special.

71 LT-1's
Pros: nice performer, 9.5:1 compression, fiber optics, TI ignition

Cons: Not many ordered with options, getting more difficult to find, prices going up, harder to document (vs 72's)

1948 built (+8 ZR-1'S)

Coolest Colors: Classic White (of course!), Bridgehampton or Mulsanne Blue, War Bonnet Yellow, Ontario Orange, Nevada Silver & Sunflower Yellow (2 rarest colors)

Best options: Tilt/tele, Deluxe interior, Alarm, Optioned Axle

Costs: 18-25K (needing work) - 35-45K (all done). Add 10-15K for a Convertible

The standard power team package for an RPO LT-1 was as follows:

Engine suffix = CGZ for 350/330hp
Block = #3970010

Heads = #3973487

Intake manifold (Aluminum) = #3959594

Carburetor = Holley 780cfm, R4801A, #3989021

Distributor = #1112038 TI

Alternator = #1100950

Transmission - Standard for the LT-1 option was the M-21. Last letter of the build date sequence stamped on the transmission should be a "B" for M-21. If the owner optioned the car with an M-20 it should be an "A".

Rear Axle - Standard for the LT-1 option was the 3:70. The build date sequence stamped on the rear axle should include "AB" for a 3:70. If the owner optioned the car with a 4:11 it should be an "AC".

Hopefully this helps...

You will have to let us know what you find.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:27 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

ccryder

thanks for the numbers info. it will be very handy to have that already in hand when I go look at the car.

Get notified of new replies

To value on '71 LT1

Quick Reply: value on '71 LT1