Sponsored by:

ot-maybe- health insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:09 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobRace10
When you retire from work here you usally lose your employer sponsored insurnace. My wife worked for the county goverment and we actully get free insurance for life now that she retired at 54 (she put in 30 years) but that is very unusal these days. I know the local officials would like to get rid of that program, but it would require a lot of court battles to pull it now. Medicare has typically taken over the insurance at 65 if you paid into it as most of us have, but they recently made changes and I'm not up on those.

Going without insurance can ruin you. My wife had a bicycle accident (broken arm, broken rib and small lung puncture) bills were $45,000, I had a stint put in $35,000 for a 20 minute procedure and an overnight in the hospital. Just imagine a big surgery or hospital stay.
So most do have something after retirement then?? Just curious. My uncle was diagnosed with Cancer in September 2006. he has been in a hospital ever since. I guess in the US his entire fortune may have been wiped out. he is 77 years old.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:43 PM
dfellinger
Instructor

On June 24th of this year, I fell 2 stories off a ladder, was life flighted to a trauma center. I broke my left hip, right wrist, my back in 4 places, broke 5 ribs and collapsed a lung. Was 7 weeks in the hospital and rehab. Total cost to the insurance company $183,000. Total cost to me $250.00. YOU DO NEED INSURANCE.

Last edited by dfellinger; 02-23-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Rander
Instructor

As a Canadian I’m finding this thread very interesting to read. I won’t say our system is “prefect” because it certainly is not.

I’m just wondering, if you didn’t have insurance or major assets. What would happen?….. Is there anything to prevent insurance companies from terminating your coverage after a major claim?

In the Province of Ontario, all health care is provided essentially without fee…NO it’s not free, the costs are recovered through employment taxes. Years ago the cost was split between employers and employees but today 100% is paid by employers as a percentage of payroll.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:12 PM
jw72
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m just wondering, if you didn’t have insurance or major assets. What would happen?….. Is there anything to prevent insurance companies from terminating your coverage after a major claim?

No insurance companies can't cancel you after a claim.
Low income =insurance Medicade.
Children who parents make more, but don't have it through their employer get insurance=insurance (none for the parents)
Disabled=insurance,Medicare
65=insurance,Medicare

Most people get it through their employer.
The problem is middle income who are between jobs or work for someone who does not offer it. They have to buy it on their own and many choose to roll the dice.

Others who choose not to buy it are young and think nothing will happen to them or older (under 65) and can't or afford it.
The system is not perfect,If people think it is expensive now wait until it's free. I live just noth of Mexico and they seem to LOVE it.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:04 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

so i received my letter stating that i was refused health insurance coverage due to my knee........ i had surgury over 2 years ago and i still wear a brace for my own purpose....so now i really fu-ckin pissed off because wtf am i to do....... talk about some bullshyt....... it's not like i have been in the hospital alot or had crazy sicknesses/etc...... can they reject me for such a small issue?/......i'm gonna call them tomorrow and asked them why they rejected me and ask to talk to a head cheese or something...... any suggestions?

b
Old 02-26-2007, 11:09 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe you can get them to insure you if they exclude your knee

Quick Reply: ot-maybe- health insurance