Sponsored by:

emissions laws????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 11:23 AM
crazymanguy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emissions laws????

i have searched the posts here, as well as the WWW.....i havn't found a place listing current laws about emissions. my search started when i was talking to a friend about a new exhaust for my 78, he said that i don't need cats because the car is 25 years old or more.....i thought that if the factory installed them they had to stay. can anyone point me in the right direction??

thanks,
chase
Old 11-11-2006, 11:33 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Depends on the state. Sounds like your state does not do emissions tests after 15 years (which is common). However, many states include a visual check of emissions equipment as part of the safety check.

To be on the safe side you could use a modern hi-flow cat. It really won't hurt power in any noticable way. Or you could put on a hollowed out cat, but there's really no reason with the hi-flows being as good as they are.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:22 AM
wnjlt1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1968 and older are exempt in wisconson. it also depends if your county requires a smog inspection. if you are living in one of those counties, your going to need those cats and everything else smog related

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/im.htm
Old 11-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Just keep in mind that the emission laws are federal and not state. Thus the states do not have the authority to exempt any cars from the laws. But, the feds leave enforcement of the emission laws to the states. Some states have decided to not expend the dollars and resources in testing a handfull of older cars. So they exempt some of the older cars (20/25/30 years) from the testing requirement. They are NOT exempt from the law, just the requirement to be tested for license renewal.

Some places it may not be an issue now or never be an issue. In others the situation can change rapidly. Here we have a law that you cannot sell any car without all the emission equipment being in place and in working order. Any age, no exemptions. I have never seen it enforced but it is on the books. Some of our counties are testing and others are not. Say I live in a no testing area and have removed the emission equipment. Then sell the car to someone in a testing county. Then the car fails emissions. Techinicaly they could then come after me for selling a car illigaly.

Just be careful.

Get notified of new replies

To emissions laws????

Quick Reply: emissions laws????