Sponsored by:

Key warning buzzer stays on

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:21 AM
airck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key warning buzzer stays on

Yesterday I went out to the garage and to my surprise my the key warning buzzer on my 78 was going off. No key in the ignition, no door open. Started the car, and it kept on buzzing. Shut the car off, and no change. Started the car again, and this time it stopped buzzing when the seat belt sign went off like it's supposed to.

The car had an old key type Chapman car alarm installed but disconnected. Today I traced all the wires and took it out thinking that it was tapped into the dash harness somewhere and grounding things out. Unfortunatley there was no change. That alarm had a date of june 15 1978 stamped on it. My build date is June 16, so the thing has been on there since it came off the lot in 78.

Could the alarm still be the culprit here? My courtesy lights don't shut off, and I don't seem to have horns (at least not where I thought it was supposed to be)

Thanks in advance for any advice. This is my first Vette and you all have been really helpful so far.

Last edited by airck; 10-02-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:00 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

The key warning buzzer is provided by using the horn relay to perform an additional task. So it is likely that there is power going to the relay when it should not be seeing it. The most likely cause is that the switch within the ignition lock (which is activated when the key is inserted) is stuck. I suggest that you shoot some WD-40 into the key slot and push the key in and out a few times to see if it starts working correctly. If it continues to stay in the "ON" mode, the switch has probably failed and the contact is continually being made. In this case, you can get the switch fixed OR you can disconnect the key alarm by disconnecting the wire from pin #4 on the horn relay (if it is wired the same as my '71).

7T1vette
Old 10-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Two things. This paper might also be a help in diagnosing the buzzer switch problem.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...rDiagnosis.doc

Also WD-40 is not a lubricant. A good lock cylinder lubricant is to take a drop of synthetic motor oil on the tip of your key and work it in and out of the lock cylinder.

Jim
Old 10-02-2006, 09:58 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

My buzzer relay is shot. It does the same thing yours does. I unplugged the buzzer relay. if your car is the same the buzzer relay (about the size of a cigarette pack) should be plugged into the fuse panel. Unplug it from the panel but do noy disconnect any of the wires that run into it. Everything but the buzzer should still work.

jim
Old 10-02-2006, 10:33 AM
airck
Advanced

OK, I know just which module you mean. I've spent hours and hours upside down in the drivers seat trying to figure the wiring out for this car. There are fuse taps, and things not working and extra wires, and that archaic alarm. I disconnect the battery at night now! My winter projects will include lots of wiring. It'll be an AIM and harness winter for me.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:03 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

If that does solve your problem temporarily consider at some point removing the module and opening it up. Its basic technology and internal parts are easily obtained from electronic suppliers. i.e resistors or olds style fuses.

Jim
Old 10-08-2006, 09:15 PM
airck
Advanced

For now, oiling the ignition seems to have done the trick. Thanks guys....
Old 12-08-2020, 12:48 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdp6000
My buzzer relay is shot. It does the same thing yours does. I unplugged the buzzer relay. if your car is the same the buzzer relay (about the size of a cigarette pack) should be plugged into the fuse panel. Unplug it from the panel but do noy disconnect any of the wires that run into it. Everything but the buzzer should still work.

jim
Resurrected thread... resurrected user while we’re at it. Ha

This worked for me, but I didn’t have to remove the box just move it. I think it was grounding out on my fuse box.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:56 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by enkeivette
Resurrected thread... resurrected user while we’re at it. Ha

This worked for me, but I didn’t have to remove the box just move it. I think it was grounding out on my fuse box.
14 years later, yikes.

Get notified of new replies

To Key warning buzzer stays on

Quick Reply: Key warning buzzer stays on