Sponsored by:

t-top fitment question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:27 AM
lg4vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-top fitment question

The glass t-tops on the 80 vette we got a couple of months ago don't seem to fit right at the rear, where the pin goes into the body to hold them on. The pin hits the body about a half inch or so too far out from the hole it's designed to fit in. I can get it to fit by putting some force into it, but I worry about the tops cracking. Both sides are the same, with the driver's side being a little worse.
I could really use some ideas about this one.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

New weatherstripping? New weatherstripping can hold up the tops until it takes a set.

Glass tops fit about 1/4" above the halo panel at the rear of the tops. They do not fit flush like the fiberglass tops.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The passengers side on my 79 does not fit properly either. The tops are the M1131 blue mirror tops that are supposed to be fragile, so I'm afraid to play with them.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1436983
If you find a solution please post it.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:03 AM
lg4vette
Instructor

I did try the fiberglass tops from our other 80, and they fit fine. The weatherstripping doesn't look to be in too bad of shape on the glass tops, I don't think anyway. I just can't figure out why they don't fit better. I have to push on the edge so the pin will fit into the hole in the rear. I'm afraid I'm going to crack them one of these days.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:11 PM
bkerlee
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05

The tops on my '79 are a snug fit -- more snug if they've been off for a while. The weatherstripping expands, and they require quite a bfiot pressure to put them on. I don't feel like they're going to break, though.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Steve COSD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tops are adjustable. If you have the painted tops you will have to remove the liner then you will see the bolts that hold the part that goes into the body called a spade. I have seen the spades bent on some tops. The best thing to do if there bent is to replace them. Also there are shims made that mount under the spade to achieve proper fit. I would put some masking tape on the edges of the painted surfaces so as to avoid any paint damage.
Good Luck
Steve
Old 07-23-2006, 09:55 AM
lg4vette
Instructor

Steve, on glass tops, what is the method you'd suggest to adjust them? I'm not sure how to go about doing it.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Mike1966
Intermediate

Having the same problem on my 79. The seals are supposed to be new per the previous owner, but appear loose. I am planning to take the weatherstripping off and see how the tops fit. If they fit fine without weatherstripping, I am going to replace the weatherstrip.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:57 PM
lg4vette
Instructor

The "ears" that go towards the inside of the car, and the pin that fits into the front on the t-tops fit great, it's the darn pin that slides from the back of the tops that doesn't fit right. It's way too far towards the outside of the car. Is this included in what can be adjusted? Thanks for the help.

-Pete
Old 07-23-2006, 11:26 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

I believe the switch assemblies (are actually switches for the factory
alarm) that the pins slide into are adjustable. Loosen the three screws
that hold the switch assemblies in place and try to move them to align
with the pins.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Steve COSD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lg4vette
Steve, on glass tops, what is the method you'd suggest to adjust them? I'm not sure how to go about doing it.
It seems adjustment on C3s are a compromise. On the glass tops remove the cap that covers the spade. Slightly loosen the adjusting bolts. Now look down on the rear portion of the top and try to align it parralell to the body. Do this for both tops. The space between the tops should be about a quarter inch when your standing in front of the car and looking down the center of the tops. As far as the height of the tops this is where the shims come into play. Sometimes with new weatherstrip you may have to add shims. You may have to adjust the tops more than once to get a good fit.
Good Luck
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To t-top fitment question

Quick Reply: t-top fitment question