Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Owners, what is your problem??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Nope, it dont have power steering. It didn`t come that way. You just need bigger arms and tools to drive that one.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Ed Blue 03
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A love for performance cars.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Crazy81
Pro

Put it back together be fore you drive it.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:49 PM
chris75stingray
Burning Brakes

-key only works in driver's door.
-you need to turn on electric fan manually
-it leaks coolant so watch temp guage closely
-turn on kill switch before starting
-if starter only clicks, try again , it 'll go eventualy
-DON'T SLAM DOOR
Old 07-06-2006, 12:05 AM
frostbitten09
Pro

Hmm
I would warn them to keep it in park because ....ITS ON JACK STANDS

O ya, pull the Ignition lock assembly out , then twist to take the key out

and wave if any vettes come in the driveway......

Chris sounds like me, My g/f loves opening and closing my doors because of the nice sound it makes...But i always tell her do not slam it and dont do it to much because i just fixed my doors(click click bang click... door being opend and closed)
Old 07-06-2006, 12:08 AM
hnkajnk
Advanced

Push the key in all the way, Then pull it out one click...it will then turn.
after the key turns wait 10 seconds for the fuel pump to catch up to itself, pump 3 times it will usually start. After it's warm, forget the three pumps. The passenger window won't go all the way up unless the engine is running, the left turn signal doesn't cancel either. There is no rearview mirror and the Frieghtliners really are closer than they appear!!! and bigger too There is no 5th gear, although you can keep trying to find it, I never have. Have fun and smile at all of the people who look at you driving the coolest car in town, My Black C3
Old 07-06-2006, 12:09 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Jughead
Me too, how about idiosyncracy's?
I like idiosyncracies better.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:44 AM
E_Tar
Le Mans Master

I just have 3 things ...

1. THe driver side power window tilts inward toward the end when youre putting it up.., so with your pinkie, push it out at the last moment , so it closes properly (loose pads on door inside)
2. Tap the accelerator once and then press once, and keep it 1/5th pushed in when starting the car..
3. DO NOT PUSH IT or DRIVE IT FAST !!!! (something bad might happen)

god I love my 77 vette...
Old 07-06-2006, 02:13 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hnkajnk
The passenger window won't go all the way up unless the engine is running
LMAO
I have the same..... um...issue.
It helps if you rev it up a bit to get the pass side window up
Old 07-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by E_Tar
I just have 3 things ..1. THe driver side power window tilts inward toward the end when youre putting it up.., so with your pinkie, push it out at the last moment , so it closes properly (loose pads on door inside)
2. Tap the accelerator once and then press once, and keep it 1/5th pushed in when starting the car..
3. DO NOT PUSH IT or DRIVE IT FAST !!!! (something bad might happen)
Hmmm and yet it looks so solid!
This is some funny Sheet
Old 07-06-2006, 09:43 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalway
An integra... Does it even have power steering? Hondas are known to not have that sorta stuff...
If that's a joke, I don't get it. The steering in my DD Integra is probably the best balance of road feel, resistance, and response that I've ever experienced. I only wish my Vette felt the same way.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:56 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

"There's no shifter boot, just a hole in the floor. That way, if the trans locks up between gears, coast to the side of the road and take the long pry bar on the back seat, stick it through the hole and move the shift levers around."

A '64 442 I had in high school.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:52 AM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Me too, how about idiosyncracy's?
How about features?
Old 07-06-2006, 02:20 PM
SLine78
Racer

The round head key unlocks the doors. The square head key is for the iginition

The speedo does not currently work, so for a rough speed estimate, double you what the tach says and add 10.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:33 AM
AndreG
Racer

Default You have it easy

Hmmmm, either folks are being less than honest or I have more work to do than most. My 69 is beautiful but is mechanically highly modified and was pieced together by me from boxes with enough remaining quirks that I would not let anyone else ever drive it. Funny thing is that despite it all in the summertime I drive it on a daily basis and don't think much of the below items anymore. It is just amazing the things that after a while you simply accept and consider as routine. Just thinking about what I would have to tell someone else the car seems pretty scary although I have no reservations with it for myself. I have to believe (I hope) that mine is not that unique having such an extensive “personality”. List would have to go something like this:

1. You require a cell phone before leaving in the car with my number. Any mechanical problem encountered whatsoever you will not fix. If I am not available the car is to be brought home on a flatbed only.
  2. Don’t think about using either top unless already installed. Both require a delicate technique to install which will result in body damage if done improperly. Takes too long to explain and demonstrate to be worthwhile.
  3. Open garage door prior to initial start for ventilation purposes. Key to use is the gold one so worn it hardly has any bumps left. It may start with pretty much any key on the ring but avoid this as it may get jammed in the column.
  4. Ensure car is not in gear because if so the car will still start and propel you violently forward into the workbench. It is always to be left in gear given the parking brake although in optimal working condition is NOT to be relied upon and if parked on a hill turn the wheels toward the curb as an additional precaution. Familiarize yourself with the temperature gauge location as you WILL periodically check this to ensure it never passes the 210 position as it should never get this hot unless something is wrong. Also, check the fuel level, it disappears very fast. You can watch it move and you will likely need more to make it back. 92 and above only!
  5. Put on seatbelt! No, there is no shoulder belt and don’t even think about fiddling with the seat adjustment. The coats behind the drivers seat are not for your weather protection or comfort, they are positioned in a special way so as to cushion the loose backrest from damaging paint on the rear hatch. Tilt lever for the column is the forward most lever, don’t attempt to adjust using the turn signal stalk as it took me several weeks to repair it after someone did just that before I bought it. Prepare for the fact that once started it will be very loud and will alarm you regardless! It is not unusual for items to shake loose from the garage walls. They may be picked up later, your immediate priority is to quickly back the car to the rear of the garage prior to completing warm up cycle so as heavy raw toxic fuel vapors on the cold start do not immediately overwhelm you or at least blur your vision.
  6. More than 1 pump of the gas peddle has in several learned occasions resulted in stack fires which are clearly visible by smoke billowing out of the hood air chamber at the base of the windshield. If this should happen, quickly restart the vehicle in hopes of sucking the fuel vapors and flame back into the engine. When doing this do NOT PUMP THE GAS!!!!! In the event this does not succeed to your immediate right in front of the passenger seat is a mounted fire extinguisher. Be familiar with it’s use IN ADVANCE of starting vehicle as when needed time will be of the utmost importance! Hood release cable handle (lower left up high) must be jerked quickly and authoritatively or the hood will only release on the passenger side resulting in a jammed position. If this occurs, forget the extinguisher, RUN! for the garden hose mounted on the North side of the garage WITHOUT slamming my door into the tool chest, I will have left it for you in the on position with the hose already unreeled to an appropriate length. Alternately if the hood release cable comes completely loose from the vehicle in your hand when pulled too hard when operated under duress also run for the hose. If needed water may also be sprayed through the side gills if the fire has spread beyond the hood. If water had to be used do not start the car afterward. Your ride is already done.
  7. Let car warm up for no less than 1 minute. There is no choke so car should be gently revved between 1300-2000 RPM where it smoothes out otherwise the plugs will foul. If the car feels rough above 1500 then you have already a fouled plug and your ride is over as they must be removed and cleaned. When the car will idle on it’s own at 700RPM (very choppy) you are ready to back out of the driveway but be advised the car is still cold and will “Pop” a few times until it reaches full temperature. When exiting driveway it must be done very slowly and at a 45 degree angle, pipes will still scrape but only just. If you get stuck somewhere on the pipes DO NOT back up or your will rip them off the car, keep going in the direction you originally were. If you have a passenger, tell them to get out until you clear. You only have 2.5” ground clearance under the pipes so drive around all speed bumps. Once entering the culdesac close the garage door as my tools may have more value to me than your existence ;-)
  8. Once at operating temperature (another minute or so) still do not “punch” it in 1st or second gear. You are likely to completely loose control of the car and crash as it will violently spin left or right just depending which way it happens to feel that day,. It will never run smoothly below 1500 RPM so do not lug the engine.
  9. Once the engine has warmed up if you smell burning it may be the floor on fire under your feet given the 4” collectors are ¼” from the fiberglass floor. A clue in this regard is that in addition to the normal excessive heat in the cabin the heel of your left shoe, as mine has, may sink in the floor and actually catch FIRE. Again note the positioning and use of said fire extinguisher detailed in step 6. Your priority is to extinguish the car before worrying about yourself. Only if flames are out and you are certain you will not need any more flame retardant may you use the remaining contents to extinguish yourself otherwise drop and roll.
  10. Don’t park the hot car on any grass. If it does not catch it on fire it will scorch it for several weeks making your friends spouse very unhappy with you.
  11. Do not touch the button on the shifter handle. It is a line-lock and is not for your use. Expect the brakes to pull to the right when braking hard. I’m on my 5th brake caliper in as many years. Horn just makes a sickening sound and is totally ineffective. If someone is backing out at you in an SUV rev the engine and they will hear you well over any horn. This is also not the time to forget how the reverse lockout switch functions and is not to be confused with the line lock button.
  12. All lights work however neither headlight will retract. Do not attempt to push them down, I will do it. If you turn the headlights on you are simply committed to keep them up for the remainder of your voyage.
  13. Don’t use the wipers when under way at any speed over 40MPH . The wiper door will blow back and pin the wipers to the windshield in turn blowing the fuse.
  14. If you open the hood, you can not simply close it, it must be lifted again higher so as the release catch on the arm disengages prior to lowering. Hood must not be slammed. Lower until 2” above the latches, hold from center and lightly drop.
  15. The speedometer reads 5 under at 35 and more like 10 under at 65.
  16. The drivers window needs be helped up and must not be lowered all the way into the door or it cannot always be pulled out.
  17. Clock does not function correctly but twice a day 12 hours apart.
  18. Car has a spare but don't think about using it as there is no jack.
  19. Doors have no springs installed so they will fly open over extending the hinge easily.
  20. When shutting down the engine. Place in gear, hold brake, slowly release the clutch until load is felt before turning off the ignition. If allowed to diesel the motor will spin backward expelling all raw fuel vapors resulting in step number 6.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:08 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean
theres no special instructions
And chickens can fly
Old 07-07-2006, 04:15 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AndreG
Hmmmm, either folks are being less than honest or I have more work to do than most.
No problem, I have it all down....hand over the keys... or should I just use mine?

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Owners, what is your problem??

Old 07-07-2006, 06:51 PM
black77c3vett
Instructor

Default now this is funny

1 pump and hit the key , role the windows down or your gonna fry, if it rains call me and i will come and get you because the wipers dont work. kinda go with traffic because the speedo doesnt work/ get a ticket and you pay it. the horn button is the rear defogg toggle switch so you can use it like a siren but dont let the cops catch you. turn the radio off or it will stay on untill the battery is dead. dont role the drivers side window all the way up. dont lock it just dont leave anything in there. dont pull all the way up to the curb, or the intersections, the front is longer than you think. if it gets dark that is what the big key is for, stick it in the headlight and pull, bothe sides.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Berserker78
Melting Slicks

If you drive in mid summer, dress light. Women, should wear a tiny bikini cause you're gonna roast. Be prepared to shower immediatley after your drive, preferably together.

Been there, done that...
Old 07-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wcsinx
If that's a joke, I don't get it. The steering in my DD Integra is probably the best balance of road feel, resistance, and response that I've ever experienced. I only wish my Vette felt the same way.
Had lotsa friends with those low end Hondas that didn't have powersteering and it sucked horribly. Especially in tight parking lots.

Quick Reply: C3 Owners, what is your problem??