Sponsored by:

Now I understand why "Rice" works...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:05 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was a kid I had lots of motorcycles. No one bought Harleys because they leaked oil, were heavy and ugly and a good *** bike could beat them. Oh yea, and the *** bikes cost lots less. Harley went on the ropes, had to borrow money from Uncle Sam, and came out of the darkness as one of America's best-oved brands. Now they sometimes sell for list-plus and for some models there is a waiting line. The *** makers try to copy the look of the "ugly" Harley. Few brands in America are more loved than Harley Davidson. The big three need to take a lesson from them.

.........think about it........
Old 04-05-2006, 01:22 PM
gdm78vette
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

When I went with Japanese in '91 one of the cars I bought was a Suzuki Swift GT. 100 HP, 5 speed. Very small, fast enough and cheap to run (no $70 fill ups!).

On a trip from Montreal to Toronto one weekend when the car was still almost new I was driving along at my usual 120 kph when I was passed by a Corvette doing maybe 140 - 150. Not being able to resist I stepped on it and kept pace with the Vette for the next 50 miles or so (speeds up to 160) until he exited the highway. As he was slowing in the exit lane I passed and he gave me a nod as well as a bit of an incredulous look.

I drove that car for 10 trouble free years.

That's two reasons why rice works!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:25 PM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

lets see..... I was -12 when my car was built. yes, thats a negative 12.

its just that those little honda's are so readily available for next to nothing. throw in some NOS and cut off the exhaust and it'll move pretty good (for a little while).

I still hate 'em. always did, always will.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:32 PM
mkflanagan
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan27
hey, I'm obviously a vette proponent, but I wouldn't own an american car if it was given to me other than a vette. (or something from the muscle car era)

socially they are embarrassing in my circles. they are thought of like trailer homes, chewing tobacco and nascar.

also, i agree that since the 80's they have been for the most part unrliable turds.

sorry to say, but it will be japanese cars for my daily drivers until america can step it up and produce cars actually worth the reputation of being called #1 again.

just my 2 cents...
Nascar?What the hell is wrong with nascar?Are you saying it is "socially inappropiate" to enjoy nascar or are you saying it something that only us slow taliking southern idiots enjoy an sunday from the comfort of our doublewides.nascar is the fastest growing sport in america,any nascar race on any sunday draws more fans than the superbowl.Bryan i'm not trying to flame you but you talk like your to good to drive a new american car,we should all be driving new american cars instead of BMW's and Mercedes.That's what is wrong with this country today,we keep giving our entire lifes to other countries and not taking care of our own.....that's just my .02 worth.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:34 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stingr69
Get the attention of todays kids with some competition, loud noises, and loud graphics and the cars will sell themselves down the road.-Mark.
Were the big three late to the punch with the youth market because they were too busy pushing trucks? I think partially so. Ford tried to appeal to the youth with the Focus SVT (failed), DCX has the Neon SRT that is semi successful but it's a 4 door, and GM arrives dead last with the Cobalt. I would like to drive the Cobalt SS next to a Honda Civic Si and see what the difference is. I know from history that the Civic will hold it's resale value higher and longer.

Most Asian cars don't come "tuned" from the factory, but they are a good basis because the aftermarket has them covered so well with appearance and performance parts. The aftermarket pretty much ignored the big three with tuner parts in comparison. The lack of aftermarket parts for Cavaliers, Sunbirds, etc. had to influence young gearheads away from American cars.

High insurance rates are another reason that young people could not drive F bodies and Mustangs, most Asian cars have affordable rates.

If the youth market of today grows up with the mind set that Asian cars are cool, or influenced by parents that drive Asian cars, that's what they will buy.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ll take an 80s caprice any day of the week…you could beat the **** out of those cars and they always drove home.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:25 PM
JPhil
Burning Brakes

OK - here's why rice *currently* works.

- Cheap used cars are available
- The body styles are "cuter" and sportier than than most 15-20 yr old US cars
- Most of them are 4 or 6 cyl which means economy (remember, when you are a teenager all you have money for is gas, new wheels and a chrome exhaust tip

Back before the early '50s, the cheap, commonplace, small cars were Fords. They were light, easy to work on, parts were easy and inexpensive to get including speed equipment. More well-to-do Americans looked down their noses at the po' folks who drove Fords.The guys hopping them up were pushing automotive technology and development beyond the current levels, and much of their work was later incorperated into production cars. Anybody know Zora Arkus-Duntovs history?
The ricers of today are the same story...And yes I whine about them too.

John
Old 04-05-2006, 02:28 PM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey, I'm obviously a vette proponent, but I wouldn't own an american car if it was given to me other than a vette. (or something from the muscle car era)

socially they are embarrassing in my circles. they are thought of like trailer homes, chewing tobacco and nascar.

also, i agree that since the 80's they have been for the most part unrliable turds.

sorry to say, but it will be japanese cars for my daily drivers until america can step it up and produce cars actually worth the reputation of being called #1 again.

just my 2 cents...
oh i dont know, I got the chrysler 300 m new in 99 and i love it, great highway car, good around town, runs like a champ it was the motor trend car of the year that year too
Old 04-05-2006, 02:42 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure about rice but my 89 Buick sedan ... yeah I know - old guy car ...
has over 250k miles and still runs pretty good (aside from the exhaust smoke).
Now, I am driving some rice (CRX) due to gas prices.
I have been eyeing a late 80s Firebird that my inspection guy is selling,
but with gas going up ... I might stick with the Honda.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

America has always been about doing it better for a lower price. As soon as someone starts to get a bit better at it, all the pseudo-patriots start wanting to ban imports, etc. Sounds a bit like a Soviet-style planned economy to me...

Disclosure: I've owned a 65 Rustang, an 84 S-10 Blazer (biggest POS ever, but it would always keep moving), a 91 Talon AWD, a 90 Talon AWD, and the 77 Vette. The Talons could run circles around the Vette in stock trim, and do it with less fuel. The Rustang was probably the most reliable of them - only once did it not start for me.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:39 PM
redc3
Melting Slicks

just my 2 cents...
you my friend are whats wrong with this country. while i do agree that american cars have been better, you can read any report anywhere and see that the new us iron is as or more " RELIABLE ", as the overseas stuff. some really good americans are proud of chewing tobacco and nascar, and are embarrased of snobs like you. last time i checked we are all americans. ask yourself how many of our soldiers came from your embarrassing trailer parks or inner cities??? im actually embarrassed that someone like you drives a vette because you dont love the vette, you only love the prestige you " believe " it brings you. i hope when you are e-mailing you friends in your " CIRCLES" that you remember to turn the spell check on. or maybe you left it off to blend in with us yokels.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:41 PM
surfshark
Pro

Originally Posted by stingr69
Good thread guys.

Think about this too. If the car wars of the 60's were being waged again today with loud graphics and loud exhausts (who ever the manufacturer is), the kids of today would lust for the power and prestige associated with owning one of the battling vehicles. Marketing works!

GM gave up (along with the other guys) on the performance car market when they squeezed out the last bit of profit from an already saturated market segment and went on down the road with the new, more profitable and larger truck trend. Follow the $$$.

We now sell big-a$$ trucks to loads people who (arguably) do not realy need them. They just pay big bucks for a highly optioned $$$ truck then use them to get to work and back because of "marketing". Margins now are higher on loaded down trucks than they were on performance cars. Sad but true.

If you market a product to a large, well heeled segment, it will sell, but you first need to have a financialy capable, sizeable market segment to begin with. Get the attention of todays kids with some competition, loud noises, and loud graphics and the cars will sell themselves down the road.

JMO

-Mark.
I'm guilty of driving one (SUV) so my child and family doesn't get squashed by one, but SUV's and big trucks seem to be the basis of US auto manufacturers these days. Remember the gas crisis of the 70's and Detroit was building big gas guzzlers while the Japanese were already building small gas-sipping automobiles? I wonder when we're going to get caught flat-footed again? Each time gas has approached or surpassed the $3.00 a gallon range, I see so many used big trucks and Expeditions, etc. on the side of the road for sale.

Last edited by surfshark; 04-05-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ahoover
Were the big three late to the punch with the youth market because they were too busy pushing trucks? I think partially so. Ford tried to appeal to the youth with the Focus SVT (failed), DCX has the Neon SRT that is semi successful but it's a 4 door, and GM arrives dead last with the Cobalt. I would like to drive the Cobalt SS next to a Honda Civic Si and see what the difference is. I know from history that the Civic will hold it's resale value higher and longer.

Most Asian cars don't come "tuned" from the factory, but they are a good basis because the aftermarket has them covered so well with appearance and performance parts. The aftermarket pretty much ignored the big three with tuner parts in comparison. The lack of aftermarket parts for Cavaliers, Sunbirds, etc. had to influence young gearheads away from American cars.

High insurance rates are another reason that young people could not drive F bodies and Mustangs, most Asian cars have affordable rates.

If the youth market of today grows up with the mind set that Asian cars are cool, or influenced by parents that drive Asian cars, that's what they will buy.
Insurance is cheaper on an early 4th gen F-body than any Honda, by the way.

My first car was a V6 '94 Firebird with nearly 100k miles. Traded it in 6 or 7 months after owning it for a '95 Z28 with 66k miles and a 2 year warranty. Insurance wasn't that bad for either of em. Camaro got totalled in November of 2004 and I got my '81 vette. Now here's the funny thing, never once did I have to take my Firebird or my Camaro to a shop to get fixed. Got a refund on that warranty, too. Now my Vette... wow, lotsa stuff been done to it. Honestly, though, less problems with my 25 year old vette than people with newer *** cars.

The "reliability" of *** cars is a myth, in my opinion. I've seen just as many American cars run just as long just as easily.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:07 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree with kalway
Old 04-05-2006, 06:13 PM
IMA 66
Melting Slicks

Sorry i will take my 84 Trans Am over any rice bucket out there. I never had any real problems with it until i kileld it lol before it i had an 85 firebird and an 84 Monte Carlo. After the Trans Am(actually at the same time) i had a 73 SS 4spd Nova and a 96 1500 5 spd Sport truck. All American never had problems with them. Loved them all and would take them anyday over a Honda Civic. Besides no power they are death boxes, pregnant roller skates jsut waiting to get crushed by a nice size American car. Problem with rice boys is they have never driven anything that has torque and do not understand that is waht gets you moving and what puts that big hand on your chest pushing you back when you step on the loud pedal........ps obligatory pic lol i made sure not to include the one with my mullet

Old 04-05-2006, 06:36 PM
bryan27
Racer

regarding some previous posts:

#1 i truly love my vette. i've turned almost evry bolt on it and it's priceless to me. there is almost no prestige in it compared to my other cars. i just love the car.

#2 i'd love to buy american cars, if they start producing cars worth owning. it's truly sad that we are the best country in the world and our products aren't standing up to our bada$$ reputation.

#3 i might be feeding japan, but hey i work hard for my dollars and spend them wisely. i'd much rather feed america, but the big three have to show me a product that i want to spend my hard earned money on first.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:52 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Some of the best cars I've ever owned were rice.

Some of the worst cars I've owned, or been exposed to, were Detroit made.

Get notified of new replies

To Now I understand why "Rice" works...

Old 04-05-2006, 07:01 PM
classiczx
Drifting

I can't believe some people still try to argue that rice cars aren't as reliable or as good as their rep and that domestics are really the best but somehow americans got brainwashed...

There's always been overwhelming pressure to buy 'american' and plenty of japan bashing througout the years so imports had to live up to their rep in order to succeed so the idea that its a myth is ridiculous.

The Big American 3 reluctantly ADMITTED they had to improve because of their competition.

Anyway... Ford has become an importer with Mazda and Jaguar and Chevy imported Camaros and plan to import future Camaros from Canada etc. etc. etc.

Buy American today and you'll either be buying Foreign built American cars or American cars assembled with imported parts.

SO THE MOST SENSIBLE THING TO DO IS JUST BUY WHAT YOU LIKE.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:05 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

I have owned 4 different American cars ( 3-mustangs and my vette) and 2 Japanese cars (2 toyota tacoma pickups) My American cars always had(have) one problem or another. I have been left on the side of the road more than once. My Toyotas have never had a single problem in about 150,000 miles between the two of them....Nothing, not even the smallest hicup in over 7 years.

One of my best friends bought (in 2001) a 2001 Chevy Astro at the same time as I bought my 2001 Tacoma.....I have over 75,000 mile on mine....0 problems, runs like new....He has about 35,0000 on his, and it has been in the shop for MAJOR repairs (replaced engine once) 3 or 4 different times......He just traded it in on a Chevy Suburban (and took a loss on the payments of his Astro)...He has already had to REPLACE THE MOTOR on his Suburban....WTF!!!!

Now I love all the muscle cars (especially Corvettes) of the older generation....I even really liked my 88 Mustang GT...but when it comes to buying a new car I can't think of more than 1 or 2 American cars that I would spend my money on.....This has nothing to do with loyalty to America or anything else other than the fact that from my personal experience new(er) American made cars have a serious reliability issue......That being said I would love a new(er) Viper
Old 04-05-2006, 07:11 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg
You know when you suddenly have one of those epiphanies that make you realize you're older than you once were? Like the one where the girl asks her dad "Was Paul McCartney really in a band before Wings?"
Paul who?

Quick Reply: Now I understand why "Rice" works...