Sponsored by:

OT Daughter is contemplating massage therapy school

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:50 PM
my72vette454
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default OT Daughter is contemplating massage therapy school

My daughter called today and tells me she is thinking about going into massage therapy. There is a college near where she lives, its called utah college of massage therapy. Its a 7 month course and they advertise a 97 percent placment after graduating. The cost Is eleven thousand dollars which seems like alot for only 7 months of class. Anybody know anything about this line of work?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

One night in Bangkok
Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 PM
LittleJake
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pay my massage therapist a ton of money. $100 bucks an hour. This girl has her own studio and travels as well. She rakes in the cash.

Have your daughter after graduation get with some of the local gyms (Golds, Powerhouse, etc etc) and pass out some flyers and give free massages to the managers if she can set up shop inside and give massages to anyone who wants one after they work out. A guy I know did this here locally and he is making a ton of cash.

Now if your daughter is hot she can even ummm well we will just leave it at that.

psssttt you can send me pics and Ill let you know lmao (JUST KIDDING!)
Old 03-29-2006, 10:31 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It seems every kid who isn't/doesn't want to attend college chooses to become a "massage therapist". I know several and no, they're not rolling in dough. It seems this is the new "court reporter" career of choice among kids these days...

Spend the $11k on college.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:07 PM
rastadr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not that im biased as a dentist, but dental hygienists in this neck of the woods can make 45k plus working 4 days a week in an imaculately clean environment. a hygienists career can be easily performed until her mid to late 40's although children and wealthy husbands usually cut the career off in the young 30's. massage therapy is extremely strenuous work and takes its toll physically. most seccessful massage therapists have alot of massage therapists as patients. send her to hygiene school and pray she gets hooked on dentistry and goes on to dental school.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Two words "happy ending"

Seriously though if she needs and help with clients I'll sigh up.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:15 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Happy Ending?

Edit, you beat me to it.

11gs seems like a lot for that type of work but what do I know.

Last edited by gq82; 03-29-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:25 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

My therapist is wonderful & totally legit. She only chages $45 an hour & is worth every penny, but it is not an easy job. She pinched a nerve in her back & couldn't work for 6 weeks, therfore no income. $11k sounds kind of high. Is your daughter interested in healthcare? Medical Techs can make good money. These include Nuc Med, CT, MRI, Echo, Lab, etc.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:27 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

Head her toward physical therapy. Our clinic directors average 90k. A physical therapy tech is probably 40K and plenty of demand for either.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Blue 74
Instructor

My wife is the receptionist at a local "Stress Relief Clinic". 5 massage therapists working in the office and she makes as much as any one of them. Sometimes more. The only therapist making any money there is the owner. She is pulling 60 % of the other girls fees. (they keep all the tips).

A full body massage is going for $110 for an hour. From that the therapist gets 40 percent. That would be great if it was an 8 hour day and every day was full. But neither is true. Tax also has to come out of the 40 percent. Not very big weekly checks. The advertisements for the schools don't tell all.

Plus those therapists work hard. A full body massage for an hour leaves them worn out. Then turn around and do another one. Not an easy job. Lots of folks want a real massage not just someone rubbing lightly over their back.

I would not advise anyone to get into it for the money.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:35 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't do it. Get her a real education.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:10 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

$11K seems like a hell of alot of money. I don't know how it works over there in the USA.....before handing over that sort of cash do some research and see the credentials of the course and other courses out there.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:03 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 2 friends out here that went to the local MT school and are doing great, they are both totally legit and if you even ask about the "Happy Ending" they will hurt you! Amazing how strong these girls hands are.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I work part time at a PT clinic. Massage therapy can be a good line of work if she gets some of her own private clients. It is like any other line of work, when you work for someone else they keep most of your money. It is a very hard line of work, the girls where I work, work very hard. If she REALLY wants to be a MT then tell het to go for it; but she needs to understand it is very hard work. That being said if she strives out on her own and gets a private business built up she can make 500+ a day cash. That is very good money.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:28 PM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Sounds like alot of kids these days.Want the easy way out, not thinking long term (long term to a youngster is about 1 week down the road). It seems to me this is not a career. I can't imagine enjoying that type of work for more than a millisecond. She will get burned out quickly.
Make her come up with the $11k and see how much she really wants this type of "education".
I'm paying for my son's college education right now. He knows he must perform or he's one his own.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:34 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

there's other chools that have better rates and teach the same stuff..... it's a matter of how much u really want to learn about it..... u can do the classes and get the certificate but in order to be well at it, you have to learn the rest that the schools don't teach.......

the college i went to was around 20,000 for 2 semesters.... it was a 5 year b.a. architecture...100,000..... luckily i had scholarships but i still ended up paying around 25,000..........

have her come up with a few thousand as a down payment.....

b
Old 03-30-2006, 02:11 PM
TonyQT
Pro

My wife is a massage therapist. Going on 8 years now. She used to be a respiratory therapist for a big Philadelphia hospital. Making good money. One day she drops the bomb. “I want to quit my job and be a massage therapist” Being the “good” husband I am, I said “go for it”. Best move she ever made. She has her own business. She sees around 20 to 25 people a week. Makes her own hours. Makes great money, and the best part is I get a massage at least once a week. If your daughter really puts her time in, I see no reason she can’t make a good living at it.

Get notified of new replies

To OT Daughter is contemplating massage therapy school

Old 03-30-2006, 02:18 PM
my72vette454
Racer

Hey thanks for all the comments everyone, the thing I worry about with her is that she isnt outgoing at all and not really a people person. I found a neighbor that went through a massage course and really enjoyed the classes but when they started doing clinics she found out she didnt like it. She finished the course and did some massages but she still didnt like it and finally gave it up. She says you need to be outgoing to be sucessful at it. So maybe its not a good way to spend 11 grand. Daughter number 2 was headed to do the dental hygene thing but the wait was longer than she wanted to get in the course so now she is going to be a medical assistant. As far as physical therapy goes, that profession doesnt seem like it would be quite as physically demanding as a massage therapist, is that correct?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:28 PM
kona
Drifting

Spend the money wisely buy her a Vette.

Kona
Old 03-30-2006, 03:12 PM
71rdster
Drifting

My oldest son wanted to go to cooking school rather than regular college. 24k for 10 months, and from everything I read, he would still be lucky to get a minimum wage kitchen job after that. Working as an assistant chef in a good restaurant is pretty brutal work too. Not as bad as digging ditches though. He seems to have found another career path in radio from working as a student dj.

Quick Reply: OT Daughter is contemplating massage therapy school