Sponsored by:

the '78 project car is home :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:11 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Default the '78 project car is home :)

well, about an hour or so ago the flatbed backed into the driveway with my new project car, the '78.
It's a very low milage car, with only 9,389 original miles!
Unfortunately, she has been negleted and not used for quite some time. In the last 3 years she has probably only been driven twice, the last time just over a year ago than parked and not touched since. worst, she has been parked outside for at least the last two years, if not more.
The interior is in overall pretty good shape and very little needs to be done there. The frame is super solid and looks great with barely even any surface rust at all.
The two main problem areas are the engine compartment which needs a MAJOR freshening up and the paint which needs a complete new paint job. At least on the paint the body is obsolutely perfect, never been hit, so the paint shouldn't be too bad to strip off the old and repaint her. Even the rubber bumpers are still fitting real nice.

As soon as she was in the garage I threw in a brand new battery. She cranked but didn't start right away (no big surprise) so I hit the carb with some starter fluid and she cranked a bit more than fired up. A bit of white smoke thru the exhaust at first than it cleared up and run clean with no smoking. I'm betting the white smoke was the starter fluid.
She run fine if I hit the gas a bit but doesn't want to stay running real well at idle plus the accelerator linkage is screwed up because if I push down on the accerator pedel it doesn't come right back up by itself, I need to pull it back up with my toe under the pedal. Actually, I think it may be the rod or something else because if I rev it directly from the inkage on the carb she returns fine.

Got to check operations on everything. All rear tailights work, all blinkers work, brake lights worl, PW and PDL work, radio works and power antenna, guages all work except for the clock (another big surprise ). The headlights wouldn't come up so I'll have to check out the vacuum system but the WS wipers work fine along with the rear defrost and the entire heating and AC system.
The weatherstripping all looks good.

Tires and brakes are brand new, done last year when it was driven once - it had gone to the service shop than returned home and has sat since and during that service, among other things they put on new brakes and new tires so both only have basically about 20 miles on them.

car came included with the standard body colored t-tops AND a second set of the smoked glass/mirrored t-tops plus a car cover, and the best part........... full documentation from the previous two owners including the original window sticker, service records, old registration forms, original warranty info, etc.

the last time the car was registered was in '97 and it's only had 2389 miles put on it since '97! The last title was listed at 7000 miles.

It's going to be a fun project to bring this low milage girl back to her deserved glory.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:43 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like a good project, do you have any pictures? good luck and dont spend too much money on it Peace,,,Moosie
Old 02-25-2006, 04:51 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Moosie

here are pics from when I initially went to look at the car in Dec.
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page127/...5/page105.html

oh, forgot to mention she is also an L82 motor car

I'll have a local shop do the paint work but all the rest i'll do myself so costs should be relatively minimum (as if ANYTHING to do with Corvettes is a minimal cost )
Old 02-25-2006, 05:03 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you changed all the fluids before you fired it up. If not do so now. If that car sat outside for the better part of 2 years without being driven you got a whole lot of moisture in the oil, gas, brake fluid etc.

Someone who drove it 2500 miles in 9 years did not spend a whole lot of time maintaining it.

It is always my first move no matter what the prior owner tells me. At least I know then what is in there and when it went in. Also I know the quality of the fluids. They are so important to prevent wear and tear on the mechanical components. In the long run it is very cheap maintainence.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:13 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

i checked just to be sure there WERE fluids in there before starting here.
She isn't leaving the garage anyway until the whole engine compartment is redone and of course that will include all fluids being changed. I just wanted to see if she would start at all which she did so that makes me happy. Now that I know she starts, I can tear her down
Old 02-25-2006, 05:43 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep us posted on the work
Old 02-25-2006, 06:16 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by comp
keep us posted on the work
If you look thru the rest of my website you will see the projects I've done on my '65.
I'll be photo documenting everything on the '78 as I go along also and posting it up on the site.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:31 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Great project! I like the blue cloth interior, that's what I have in my 78SA. It's a shame someone would let such a low mile Vette get in that overall condition, tho. If you need any more detail pics just let me know.
Mike
Old 02-25-2006, 06:53 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a great project. Enjoy
Old 02-25-2006, 07:14 PM
79 vette head
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

have fun with the new ride... and thanks for the info on reflextix i picked it up at loews 2 rolls like you said $36.00 if you dont mind me asking what did you pay for the ride $$$
Old 02-25-2006, 07:31 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

is the back window the original stock setup..... looks like a greenwood kit....might just be the shadows/lights/angle that makes it look a bit more angular than rounded..

b
Old 02-25-2006, 08:23 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BarryK
She run fine if I hit the gas a bit but doesn't want to stay running real well at idle plus the accelerator linkage is screwed up because if I push down on the accerator pedel it doesn't come right back up by itself, I need to pull it back up with my toe under the pedal. Actually, I think it may be the rod or something else because if I rev it directly from the inkage on the carb she returns fine.

The headlights wouldn't come up so I'll have to check out the vacuum system
That headlight problem is likely a vacuum leak and this will also cause a poor idle.

The acc pedal linkage runs through a plastic sheath which connects to the actual carb linkage. Mine became noisy and started to bind....a little WD40 squirted from both ends cured that problem.

Sounds like you have some very minor issues but overall a very solid car to restore.

Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:30 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Mike, the pics you sent me before are going to be great and a huge help, thanks!

thanks Mark!

79, glad I could be of help on the reflectix, have fun on the carpet install. After helping my biddy with the new carpet in his '79 all I can say is i'm THRILLED and RELIEVED the carpet is in good shape on my '78 because I'm not looking forward to ever doing a carpet job again!

onagwst, nope, not a greenwood kit, just all stock.

gq82, yep, I figured it was a vacuum issue also. I started the car later for my wife when she got home (she was real excited and couldn't wait to see the car) and the headlights started working. went up and down fairly even and fast too, and the accelerator started working a bit better so I think it's definitely a vacuum issue and restarting it managed to build more pressure in the system. Seems everyting works, just needs a lot of major clean-up and tweaking.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:35 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Guys, the more I study the engine bay the uglier it's looking and I'm seriously considering that the easiest way to clean everything up and make it look good again is to just pull the motor out and work on it out of the car and that will also allow me a lot more room to work on cleaning up the bay in the car also.
i've never pulled an engine out although i came REAL close on my '65 back in Nov.

my question is, on a '78, L82 with auto trans who has pulled the motor out of their cars themselves? Is it easier to pull it out with the tranny as one piece or easier to pull just the motor and leave the tranny in place? I'm trying to think about both the pulling and the reinstall. If I pull just the motor and leave the tranny in how much harder is it to reattach the tranny from under the car on jackstands (no lift) compared to reinstalling both units together?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Looks nice. My vette should have looked the same way 20 yrs ago, before someone painted it white. I wonder if the dealer added the spoiler?
Old 02-26-2006, 10:06 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks nice.

Considering the amount of disassembly required to remove the engine, I think you can do a lot of detail work by removing accessories which will open the area up quite a bit, instead of pulling the engine. This would allow you to clean and refinish as required.
However, to answer your question, I would leave the trans in the car and pull the engine only. To do both as a unit, you'll need a cherry picker that has more than average height and boom length to get them up and over the front end without damage. Boom length is the big issue either way with your car to prevent bumper damage.
If you plan on driving the car regularly though, a good detail might be best considering it's going to get dirty.

Have you thought of the parts you should check or replace as a preventive measure since the car has been sitting for so long?

is that a "Code Alarm" keypad on the dash? I haven't seen one of those since the '80s!

Last edited by crazywelder; 02-26-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:20 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

ahoover
I'm not fully decided on pulling the motor but having just finished the engine and engine bay in my '65 I realized it would have been MUCH easier with the motor out.
On the other hand, never having pulled a motor out before it doesn't seem like a lot of fun pulling it and than reinstalling it, but I'm just trying to figure what is going to end up being the easiest in the long run for the entire job.

nope, until I start taking things aprat I'm not sure what parts are going to need replacing or will just clean up fine or what. I'm going to tear it apart than figure it out I guess.
The biggest problem I have is that i'm used to the much more simplistic system in my C2 and not used to all the vacuum system stuff, emmision control stuff, etc.
Well, at least I don't have computers and such to worry about!

yep, that is an old Code Alarm system. The ironic thing is that years ago when I was in the car audio indistry I used to be a factory rep for many different companies and Code Alarm was one of them. The first couple of years I was reping them they still had these old keypad alarms! No matter, it's getting yanked out anyway.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barry, nice project car. With the low miles that's a barn find. Enjoyed the web site also.
Thanks and keep us posted on the 78.
Jim
Old 02-26-2006, 01:06 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

thanks Jims

actually, it was more a "driveway find" than a barn find.

a lot of evidence of mice though. lots of mice droppings on the intake and even one of the service records from a couple years ago mentioned finding and having to remove a mice nest from the air intake snokel......... luckily I haven't seen any chewed wires so I guess if there were any the service place repaired them at the same time.

keep checking the website from time to time and you can follow the progress as I work on her

Get notified of new replies

To the '78 project car is home :)

Quick Reply: the '78 project car is home :)