Sponsored by:

urgent help needed..'68 convertible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 07:20 PM
c3 in hawaii
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urgent help needed..'68 convertible purchase

I have seen this '68 convertible around the corner from where I live, it has never been moved and always covered up. I tried to locate the owner in the past but was not able to... Well I drive by today and I see the owner outside cleaning it up, I asked him if he was interested in selling it, (thinking he would say no). Well he told me that he had just listed it, it is all original, 327, 4 speed. from what I can tell there is no significant rust in the usual places, top is in good condition but missing back window, interior needs to be redone, he says there is an electrical problem the keeps killing the battery, has original paint but is in very bad shape.. He can't even get the car started, last time it was driven was dec 2003. All in all the car is complete but needs total restoration... he is asking $8000.00 for it...Would this be a good deal to pick up and restore, or the cost to restore would be too high, I have been following up on this forum and realize '68 is the hardest parts to find...Any comments on this is appreciated.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a chrome bumper vert without rust. I would try to move him down a grand and jump on it. I had a 68 a couple of years ago and you can find the parts you need if you look hard enough. I sold my 68 because it had hit something very very hard at some point in time. after owning it for a couple of years I just got tired of nothing fitting correctly and sold it to another forum member. He loves the car and is very happy. Just remember, It cost less to buy one that is already restored.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,980 Likes on 4,800 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

if can detrime that all the hard to find 68 parts are there and in working order, 8K is a good price
Old 02-17-2006, 08:12 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I love '68's because of all the one year only details. 8k might be in the ballpark or a little high. My neighbor bought a '68 coupe a few years ago in the same condition you are describing. We did the engine, clutch, a full rear end rebuild, springs, new front suspension and steering, new calipers, exhaust, vacuum system, and full interior and made the transistor ignition work. He drove it the next summer with the ratty paint and then we stripped it and painted it. Added all new chrome, as well as rebuiling the headlights and all the parts needed on this project were available. However, we had to replace the windshield frame and the headlight reinforcement which were major jobs. With parts, materials and sweat equity he has added 21k to the purchase price of the car. If your a do-it yourselfer, a car in this condition is a good hobby. The transmission and rear end are a gamble since you can't drive the car. The big question is; is this the right car for you at the right price? Someone will fix that car someday. Before and after shots below.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:30 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking at this car as an investment or a car you can make money on, RUN.
Look at the example above pay 8K for it throw 21K at it and you are in it for 29K and 1000 hours in labor. Better to get a job at McDonalds it will pay better. You can find a nicely restored small block chrome bumper vette for $29K and spend your time driving it.
If you like working on cars, don't mind investing the time, and get enjoyment by doing a restoration then go for it. It all depends on what you want the car for.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:32 PM
c3 in hawaii
Pro

Actually you're before pic looks to be in way better condition than this one.
but I went back to take a better look at the car again, put in a new battery, won't crank...nothing, The only thing that happens is the key buzzer goes off, I did notice that the drivers door is binding, and needs to be lifted to close. no noticeable rust on the cowl. He states that the clutch was redone just before he stopped driving it. The only item replaced was the alternator and tires. odometer doesn't work but speedo does. the only thing good in the interior is the dash pad. The lowest he will go is 8K. It may be over my head on this...think so?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:40 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

How can we comment without pics? Get some asap!!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:45 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

c3 in hawaii,

Like Buggsy said, if you get enjoyment and satisfaction by turning wrenches and can do most of the work yourself then by a project. If you want to get in and drive it in a couple months, buy one ready to go. You need considerable patience to tackle a project.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:19 PM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What color is the car? I am just wondering because I might have seen it before.
Anyway based on your descriptions 8k is too much.
Did you see the 82 for 9k and the 79 for 4k in the www.islandpreviews.com?
Do you still have your 76 and 78?
Old 02-17-2006, 09:28 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

For $8k, I'd take the described car in a heartbeat!!
Old 02-18-2006, 12:54 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

BUY IT

Get back with us with some pictures
Old 02-18-2006, 01:09 AM
c3 in hawaii
Pro

Originally Posted by DMONSVETTE
What color is the car? I am just wondering because I might have seen it before.
Anyway based on your descriptions 8k is too much.
Did you see the 82 for 9k and the 79 for 4k in the www.islandpreviews.com?
Do you still have your 76 and 78?
hey howzit!
The car was originally blue with black top... it's been sitting for a couple years covered up..paint is badly oxidated and spiderwebbing, would have to strip it down and do alot of glass work, fiberglass seems really dry and almost brittle like. I think a little too much project for me to attack right now.. maybe at a lower price I may grab it.

I saw those two also, actually went to look at he '79, car is bad off, major rust in the birdcage, radiator suport is a gonner.. radiator wired up to stay in. wouldn't start, headlights don't work, power windows both broken, interior thrashed...and he won't go lower than $3500.00... GOOD LUCK..

Yes I still have the '78 and '76, I just about stripped the interior out of the '76 and ordered everything to replace, need to rebuild suspensuion than it's off to paint.. Anyone else on the forum interested in the '68 I can give you the details, I will try to see if I can get pics later.

Last edited by c3 in hawaii; 02-18-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:17 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It totally depends on how much you do yourself. If you're counting on restoring it to trailor queen status and have someone else do all the work, the seller would have to give it to you and you still might end up upside down in the deal. If you want to buy it to restore yourself, not include your sweat equity, but get your money back in parts cost if you had to sell, then $8K isn't bad for a small block '68 vert (at least in my neck of the woods). I looked at a lot worse for a lot more before buying mine, and that was years ago. I just totalled my receipts in parts and supplies and have roughly $13K above what I paid for my '68 427 'vert. I rebuilt EVERYTHING (engine, trans, suspension, diff, etc.)!! Figure a small block rebuild will cost less than a big block but everything else is about the same.

I think if I sold mine now I'd get my investment back plus about $0.50 an hour for labor.

Here's some resto in-process shots:

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/lemansblue68

and a couple of "after" shots:

Gotta update my site soon.

The white stuff in the background is snow for you Hawaii fellows!

Last edited by LemansBlue68; 02-18-2006 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:22 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c3 in hawaii
hey howzit!
The car was originally blue with black top... it's been sitting for a couple years covered up..paint is badly oxidated and spiderwebbing, would have to strip it down and do alot of glass work, fiberglass seems really dry and almost brittle like. I think a little too much project for me to attack right now.. maybe at a lower price I may grab it.

I saw those two also, actually went to look at he '79, car is bad off, major rust in the birdcage, radiator suport is a gonner.. radiator wired up to stay in. wouldn't start, headlights don't work, power windows both broken, interior thrashed...and he won't go lower than $3500.00... GOOD LUCK..

Yes I still have the '78 and '76, I just about stripped the interior out of the '76 and ordered everything to replace, need to rebuild suspensuion than it's off to paint.. Anyone else on the forum interested in the '68 I can give you the details, I will try to see if I can get pics later.

Thanks for the info. Are you really looking to buy another Vette?
Did you see this one?
http://classifieds.thepostpig.com//c...uery=retrieval

Get notified of new replies

To urgent help needed..'68 convertible purchase

Quick Reply: urgent help needed..'68 convertible purchase