Sponsored by:

Autocross..

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:34 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Autocross..

I'm going to enter an autocross event Feb 19..have not done this since 1984....I''ll run the 78 against Miatas etc....probably get my *** kicked...with their computer controlled braking,active handling......etc..
But guess what..I'll have it hung out there......
Old 02-11-2006, 11:50 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by rihwoods
probably get my *** kicked...:
count on it.

but you will look cooler with that small block screaming.

Last edited by turtlevette; 02-12-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I'll be entering some auto x's this year.. first time around the cones in something that isnt a go kart
Old 02-12-2006, 12:00 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by turtlevette
count on it.

but you will look cooler with that small block sceaming.
I actually thought of running the 69...but the 78 is more nimble...difference in power,etc...I'll give it my best shot...only issue is no one shaves tires in my area...and I will be entering "stock" class..
Old 02-12-2006, 12:02 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

...only issue is no one shaves tires in my area...
just use some worn out tires. Have fun with it and use the throttle to steer.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:03 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corz
I'll be entering some auto x's this year.. first time around the cones in something that isnt a go kart
Be sure to walk the course..and at each turn,look back at direction you will enter corner...you will be really pumped out there..good luck...
Rich
Old 02-12-2006, 12:14 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by turtlevette
just use some worn out tires. Have fun with it and use the throttle to steer.
I know you have been there...and throttle steer is a good technique...personally,I like push...so this ought to be interesting...
Old 02-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Be sure to walk the course..and at each turn,look back at direction you will enter corner...you will be really pumped out there..good luck...
Rich
I used to run karts man, walking the course is second nature to me
Old 02-12-2006, 12:27 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corz
I used to run karts man, walking the course is second nature to me
Sorry...that is cool...had my head up my butt...

Last edited by rihwoods; 02-12-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Sorry...that is cool...had my head up my butt...
I'm drunk too so im probably wording things wrong
Old 02-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

I actually thought of running the 69...but the 78 is more nimble...difference in power,etc...I'll give it my best shot...only issue is no one shaves tires in my area...and I will be entering "stock" class..

Call up East County Alignment out in Santee. The guys who work there were telling me about someone out here who shaves tires. Also, give Dave Turner Motorsports a call because they used to help a lot of the guys who raced at El Cajon Speedway get set up.

And I wish ya luck, man...AutoX down at Qualcomm is rough. The last few times I ran down there, there were some pretty good sized potholes in the parking lot, which happened to be on the course itself, unfortunately. And of course, since I was in the last run group, all of the heavier cars beat up the potholes even more, breaking up the asphalt and making it tough.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:02 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sprzout
Call up East County Alignment out in Santee. The guys who work there were telling me about someone out here who shaves tires. Also, give Dave Turner Motorsports a call because they used to help a lot of the guys who raced at El Cajon Speedway get set up.

And I wish ya luck, man...AutoX down at Qualcomm is rough. The last few times I ran down there, there were some pretty good sized potholes in the parking lot, which happened to be on the course itself, unfortunately. And of course, since I was in the last run group, all of the heavier cars beat up the potholes even more, breaking up the asphalt and making it tough.
Yeah,I know about the surface..it was much better back in the 80's...thanks for the heads up on shaving...Al Archer in El cajon used to do it..but his machine is broke...I'll just tough it out..been there recently...only thing I'm going to watch for is marbles in the turns and the angle we must hit that drainage trough....
Old 02-12-2006, 01:13 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Frickin' troughs...

2nd time I ever went around the track, I almost lost it after bouncing through that shallow drainage trough on the southeast parking lot. I ended up drifting the car through the slalom coming out of the turn over the trough, and to this day don't know how I didn't get a DNF or kill one of the slalom cones...
Old 02-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Kalway
Safety Car

Who's holding the auto-x on Febuary 19th? I might just come to watch a little because I'll be up in Orange County on the 18th for my cousin's wedding and won't be back till like noon on the 19th (staying up there overnight). I'm going to try and get my vette ready for Auto-x by march or april. I know Vettes 'R Us is holding one in April so I'll definitely be at that.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:10 AM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the best times I ever had was autocrossing last year at Englishtown. Looking forward to going there again in 2006. You really learn alot about the handling of your car....
Old 02-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 465 Posts

On a tight course those small cars setup right will smoke you everytime. If you are on a longer course with some straights you have a slight chance due to more HP. They will still probably smoke you because the autoX is all about maintaining speed. I do surprisingly well against C4 and C5 cars due to HP levels but on a tight couse I'm done. It is fun to over power the course (not the fastest way around). I was at an event last year for Porsches and a few Vettes came. I was the only C3 to be there. They all came up and thanked me for coming and said how much they enjoyed seeing the older Vette fly around the course. That was worth the price of admission. It is not always how good you are but sometimes how good you look doing it.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:12 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kalway
Who's holding the auto-x on Febuary 19th? I might just come to watch a little because I'll be up in Orange County on the 18th for my cousin's wedding and won't be back till like noon on the 19th (staying up there overnight). I'm going to try and get my vette ready for Auto-x by march or april. I know Vettes 'R Us is holding one in April so I'll definitely be at that.
This is SCCA SOLO 11 (San Diego) T.A.R.T.....my bud is president of this group....I'm going cause some old racing buddies from the 80's will be there....we used to be known as San Asebring Assoc..I just want to get three events in this year....then I'll hang the helmet up for good..

http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/schedule/

Last edited by rihwoods; 02-12-2006 at 09:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross..

Old 02-12-2006, 09:42 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gordonm
On a tight course those small cars setup right will smoke you everytime. If you are on a longer course with some straights you have a slight chance due to more HP. They will still probably smoke you because the autoX is all about maintaining speed. I do surprisingly well against C4 and C5 cars due to HP levels but on a tight couse I'm done. It is fun to over power the course (not the fastest way around). I was at an event last year for Porsches and a few Vettes came. I was the only C3 to be there. They all came up and thanked me for coming and said how much they enjoyed seeing the older Vette fly around the course. That was worth the price of admission. It is not always how good you are but sometimes how good you look doing it.
This course is large...about a mile in length...but speeds have been reduced...in the 80's we would get 85-100 in some straights...think now it is mostly 1st/2nd gear...??? ...course is rough...surface is coming apart in places...lots of little "marbles" in turns...i'll try to be smooth....
Old 02-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Good luck, man...

TART runs have always been fun; they've been pretty good about setting up the courses...

One of these days when I get the Jag fixed up enough, I'll try running that down there. The only problem with running it right now is that the rear end is so loose on it any turn over 15 mph tends to break it loose (the rear shocks and bushings are gone). I've already seen an RX-7 slide into a curb at a high rate of speed due to the "marbles" on the track, and the trick that everyone keeps telling me on winning races down there is "go slow to go fast."

And sometimes, just walking around the pit/parking lot is pretty awesome, because you can see some NICE cars (Vipers, Vettes, old Cobras, etc) that are down there to RACE. That alone is worth it, to me.

Last edited by Sprzout; 02-12-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:56 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sprzout
Good luck, man...

TART runs have always been fun; they've been pretty good about setting up the courses...

One of these days when I get the Jag fixed up enough, I'll try running that down there. The only problem with running it right now is that the rear end is so loose on it any turn over 15 mph tends to break it loose (the rear shocks and bushings are gone). I've already seen an RX-7 slide into a curb at a high rate of speed due to the "marbles" on the track, and the trick that everyone keeps telling me on winning races down there is "go slow to go fast."
I spun mine at 80 once there(Jack Murphy then)....course worker did not see coolant another car had leaked right at an exit from a high speed sweeper...it looped so fast I could'nt believe it...scared the crap out of me...
Then a year ago, I spun an 87 vette rag top on 94 east..hit K rail twice...ABS sensor failed on one wheel when I hit brakes hard...there was a 6 foot red mark there on k rail for months afterwards..my buds still razz me over that one....but it was a C4...who cares,right ?

Quick Reply: Autocross..