Sponsored by:

Autocross..

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalway
I'm glad they've got pretty nasty laws against street racing, personally. It's stupid to race where there's a high potential of fatalities and injuries. I do wish they'd make more efforts to make San Diego more race friendly, though. We need some tracks and strips to keep people from being idiots on the roads.

I always tell people to take it to the track if they want to seriously race, and if someone wants to race me I tell them to meet me at a track. Usually they don't end up showing.
I wholeheartedly agree. If San Diego would just realize that, "Hey, people WANT to have an outlet to go race!", they might not have the problem of street racing that they do right now.

Give people a place to go that's a good quality track/auto park, and you'll see less street racing. It's like a blowoff valve...

I'm all for the track as well. If I get someone who tells me that their car can run 12's, I usually ask for the time slip, ESPECIALLY if it's some kid who's driving a Civic or Integra. Most of the members of my Saturn club are also members of RASR (Racers Against Street Racing) and abhor street racing. It's illegal, it's unsafe (prepped tracks with medics on call in case there's an accident are going to be safer than on an uneven, unkept street with things like other cars that might pull off of a side street), and if you're caught, you can have your car impounded and lose your license for a minimum of one year.

*sigh* Unfortunately, I don't think the County will ever get it into their heads that we need a quality auto park....
Old 02-16-2006, 01:26 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

So how am I gonna know who you are in the crowd? You going to have any definitive clothing on?

That's not gonna be hard. Just look for the only C3 running in autocross.

San Diego's autocross racers are significantly lacking in the C3 Corvettes. Most of them are C4's and C5's.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:32 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

So how am I gonna know who you are in the crowd? You going to have any definitive clothing on?
Just look for this....

and I'll be wearing a blue long sleeve NCM shirt/wranglers...a white Johnny B's Burgers & Beer ball cap...
Old 02-16-2006, 01:49 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sprzout
I wholeheartedly agree. If San Diego would just realize that, "Hey, people WANT to have an outlet to go race!", they might not have the problem of street racing that they do right now.

*sigh* Unfortunately, I don't think the County will ever get it into their heads that we need a quality auto park....
This is an old problem here...in 59-60...there was a drag "protest" on El Cajon Blvd because some drag strips had been shut down...another forum member and I were there....and we got tear gassed...think Carlsbad/Ramona was the last of the 1/4 mile strips...here is a pic from the "protest"...happened when they closed Hourglass...

This pic was in the newspaper...two chicks in a Corvair...

Last edited by rihwoods; 02-16-2006 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rihwoods
This is an old problem here...in 59-60...there was a drag "protest" on El Cajon Blvd because some drag strips had been shut down...another forum member and I were there....and we got tear gassed...think Carlsbad/Ramona was the last of the 1/4 mile strips...here is a pic from the "protest"...happened when they closed Hourglass...

This pic was in the newspaper...two chicks in a Corvair...

Yeah, I know the drag strip/race course is an age old argument for San Diego. Too many people have complained about noise, and "those durned kids!"

There's 2 things I want to say about racing:

1) Much as I despise it, NASCAR is one of the biggest moneymakers in the way of spectator sports; it's bigger than IRL, WRC, Outlaw racing and off road racing as well. That translates into tourist dollars every year that San Diego could have, but won't because they don't want to put in a good track due to noise and traffic. OOOOH.

2) Barney? Andy? I didn't realize that san Diego had become Mayberry!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:22 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

The next thing we are about to lose is autocross at Qualcomm...then there will be no adequate facility to run events..except small parking lots...maybe....there is a search on..doubt city would toss anything in with the Charger deal...
Old 02-16-2006, 09:39 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Austin, we used to have about 8 local low-speed auto-cross venues. Due to the legal *****, and noise sensitive old ladies, the company parking lots we used to use suddenly were not available. Not even 1 injury in over 15 years of auto-crossing and we don't have a single lot available anymore. At most events, we would have 100 participants, so it was not for lack of interest. Now to find an event, it's a 200 mile round trip to Waco....GGRRRR!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Just look for this....

and I'll be wearing a blue long sleeve NCM shirt/wranglers...a white Johnny B's Burgers & Beer ball cap...
Alright then! We'll be looking and cheering for you! Once I get my '81 up to snuff it'll be wasting tires at autocross as much as possible... Until I get a Triumph GT6 (which won't be for AWHILE) then I'll have to use that since they're so much smaller.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Roscoe
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Have Fun & good luck
Old 02-16-2006, 07:45 PM
79inSD
Racer

I actually thought of running the 69...but the 78 is more nimble...difference in power,etc...I'll give it my best shot...only issue is no one shaves tires in my area...and I will be entering "stock" class..

You want to borrow my tires they are nice an worn . I will try to make it out there to watch. Are you going to be there all day?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:11 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Thanks for the offer...but I'll tough it out....Yes,I will be there all day...
Rich
Old 02-18-2006, 09:35 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Raining...crap....I'll go Sunday anyway....will help set up and hope it clears.....this pic is from 1980....we used to operate timing/scoring out of that old school bus....

Old 02-18-2006, 09:53 AM
JohnS_77
Melting Slicks

I autocrossed the 77 for the first time last summer. It was the first time in a rear wheel drive car for me. What a blast! It actually cornered pretty flat with the 4 new Bilsteins and HD rear spring.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:22 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnS_77
I autocrossed the 77 for the first time last summer. It was the first time in a rear wheel drive car for me. What a blast! It actually cornered pretty flat with the 4 new Bilsteins and HD rear spring.
Did you get the Bilstein Sports ?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Raining...crap....I'll go Sunday anyway....will help set up and hope it clears.....this pic is from 1980....we used to operate timing/scoring out of that old school bus....

Psshh...I went and did the SCCA Tour 2 years ago when it was pouring BUCKETS out there. Had to work the last run group and spent the entire session dodging cars that were hydroplaning and getting DNFs due to the wet weather; shoot, when I did my 2nd run on the following Sunday, I nearly took out the gates due to a puddle right near the finish that I danced across. The announcers felt bad that I got a DNF, but thanked me for taking the DNF and not trying to save it. Had I saved it, it would have put some minor front end body work into my car, and damaged the timing gate lights...

But hey, if it's wet, great time to really learn what your car's limits are. You know that you can always push it a little further than what you could in the rain, and for the most part, most drivers have a limit far lower than that of the car.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:46 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

If wet,I won't run....risk is collecting a light pole....or K rail barrier...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:55 AM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you do yesterday?

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross..

Old 02-20-2006, 11:26 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by CrossedFlags77
How did you do yesterday?
Got a DNF on 1st run cause I missed a gate on back half of course...2nd/3rd runs clean but off pace(first time out in 22 years)....was only C3 out there...Vette did fine...I was "rusty"...

The blue vette spun out of 1st turn....track was slick after rain...

My next event is April 15....It will be an "all Corvette" autocross....
Rich

Last edited by rihwoods; 02-20-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Sorry I could make it out to cheer for ya. Got back a lil later than we thought and I ended up working on my vette (had to fix the starter solenoid and rejet the q-jet). By the time we would have been ready to come down it was like 3 or 4 so we decided we'd have to pass this time . I'll, hopefully, be racing with ya in April! We're doing my ball joints and possibly tie rod ends this weekend so my front suspension is almost ready for some abuse. I'm going to order some new rear shocks and POSSIBLY a new rear spring. The sidepipes will definitely be hooked up by then so I'll at least make a bunch of noise, if nothing else.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:56 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Sorry I could make it out to cheer for ya. Got back a lil later than we thought and I ended up working on my vette (had to fix the starter solenoid and rejet the q-jet). By the time we would have been ready to come down it was like 3 or 4 so we decided we'd have to pass this time . I'll, hopefully, be racing with ya in April! We're doing my ball joints and possibly tie rod ends this weekend so my front suspension is almost ready for some abuse. I'm going to order some new rear shocks and POSSIBLY a new rear spring. The sidepipes will definitely be hooked up by then so I'll at least make a bunch of noise, if nothing else.
Vettes R Us is putting that one on...scroll down link:
http://www.corvettesofsandiego.com/events.htm

Noise restrictions are 93 db...I have a dosimeter if you want to check your exhaust..let me know when you are ready...
Rich

Quick Reply: Autocross..