Header back dual exhaust systems/kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 07:46 AM
stingray_jim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header back dual exhaust systems/kits

Hey all,

Getting ready to button up my engine swap and need to match up an exhaust to my hooker super comp headers. I am looking for a 2 1/2 inch system with turbo mufflers. Does anyone sell a kit to match to headers? I can cut some (I am adding flex reducers) but don't have the ability to bend tubing. I see a bunch of stock replacment kits that match to original equipment manifolds but nothing for headers.

Any guidence would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to get reemed at a local muffler shop to bend a few tubes.

I've got a 68 4-speed with a 383 stroker.

Thanks

Jim
Old 02-02-2006, 12:21 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I'm installing headers on mine now. I haven't found any sutups available thru catalogues etc to bolt up to the collectors. I am going to an exhaust shop.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Entropy
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I'm headed to my local exhaust shop. I haven't seen any kits that bolt up to headers. Mainfolds yes, headers no.

trw
Old 02-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Go-Gone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the chambered exhaust kit and then went and picked up two of those cheap flexable exhaust repair sections. Used that to connect the header reducer to the kit. I had intended it to be temperary until I could get to the exhaust shop to do it right. Been under ther for 3 years now and hasnt leaked.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:50 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

The flexi stuff is also available in stainless ... & not terribly more expensive either ... so long as you're talking no more than a couple feet total.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Ed Blue 03
Racer

If you consider having it done it's worth shopping around, since it is a custom system you'll get lots of different recommendations and prices. I have a 73 with a 350 and had a 2 1/2" exhaust system made by a local shop to mate up with Hooker headers. They gave me good advice on the mufflers (Vortex), very pleased with the sound (a little loud, but I like it). They also were proud of the fact that they used heavy gauge pipe.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:42 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Hooker has a kit w/o mufflers. You can get it thru summit. should mate up to your headers nicely.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:21 PM
stingray_jim
Advanced

Default Dual chambered exhaust - how loud ?

Since I last visited I am now thinking using dual chambered exhaust. A buddy told me to call Allan's Vette exhaust. Anyone here can tell me just how loud an under system set up like this might be?

Thanks. I know it is all relative, but can you still talk to the passenger? Hear the radio and the engine. How does it sound vs. side pipes.

Thanks so much for the help.

Jim
Old 02-02-2006, 09:25 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had problems getting pipes from my collectors to the chambered exhaust made. My '76 should only have a 2-1-2 exhaust w/cat. Muffler shops would not make the pipes for me, once they saw the car. Got them made by taking a profile of the pipes I wanted to the shop. Told them it was for a '47 Ford hot rod.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by stingray_jim
Since I last visited I am now thinking using dual chambered exhaust. A buddy told me to call Allan's Vette exhaust. Anyone here can tell me just how loud an under system set up like this might be?

Thanks. I know it is all relative, but can you still talk to the passenger? Hear the radio and the engine. How does it sound vs. side pipes.

Jim
Mike Allen has forgot more about Vettes then most people have ever known. Just got my 2-1/2" dual set up from him (with dual cats) because I still have to pass emissions. My last single system came from him too, never had a problem with fit. He might be able to set you up with something that will bolt right on. He does have a web site, try a search.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by stingray_jim

Jim
ear piercing loud
http://home.comcast.net/~corz69/114_1481.AVI

95db at idle at the rear of the car (back about 10 feet)

Get notified of new replies

To Header back dual exhaust systems/kits

Quick Reply: Header back dual exhaust systems/kits