Moving to PA

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 03:12 PM
gerry c
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to PA

HI Folks,
I will be moving to NE PA in a couple months (house set to close in mid feb... moving around the first of may) and am looking for info regarding smog laws, vechile check laws in PA.

I will be taking my '81 Corvette with me and getting it back on the road. Because of California smog laws and insurance costs, I have not had it registered for about 15 years. I have started it and driven it a couple times a year though, so it is not like it has been completely sitting all that time.

I want to dump the compu-carb and the distributor and go with more "normal" systems at first. It is a four-speed so I do not have to worry about transmission interface (i.e. lock-up control). Later I plan on building a 400 to put in it or maybe convert to a big block, but keep all the original parts so it can be returned to stock (which it is now, except for wheels).

If anyone can help me with information, I can be contacted off list at gerry@ouracres.com.

Thanks
gerry
Old 01-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I live in the Allentown area and used to live in Clarks Summit (just outside Scranton). My73 has antique plates which entails a one time registration fee and no inspection or smog check. I believe the rule is 25 years and older so you should qualify. There are restrictions such as mileage ( I think 2,500 or so miles per year) and the car can not be used as a daily driver which yours is not. Another option is classic plates which is a little less restrictive but I would suggest antique since you never have to register again.

Hope you like the cold and snow living in NE PA. I lived up there during a record year for snow in 1996. I'm from Atlanta although I have lived in PA twice now. I don't mind the snow but after a few months of being stuck indoors it gets old. Good luck with the move.

Jim
Old 01-08-2006, 04:05 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

it will just have to pass emissions laws for PA, they are much less strict than CA.
you should have no problems with what you are looking to do.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:32 PM
gerry c
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank the folks that replied to me. PA is pretty much an unknown for me as far as vechile regulations.

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
I live in the Allentown area and used to live in Clarks Summit (just outside Scranton).
We are buying in the Montrose/Forrest Lake area... not far from Clarks Summit.

My73 has antique plates which entails a one time registration fee and no inspection or smog check. I believe the rule is 25 years and older so you should qualify. There are restrictions such as mileage ( I think 2,500 or so miles per year) and the car can not be used as a daily driver which yours is not. Another option is classic plates which is a little less restrictive but I would suggest antique since you never have to register again.
I checked out the PenDOT site and think the antique may be the way to go. Once I get past the original smog equipment visual inspection, off will come the compu-carb and distributor (for a start) and then looking for a complete replacement for the engine... . I plan on keeping all the stock parts in case someone wants to restore in the future.

Hope you like the cold and snow living in NE PA. I lived up there during a record year for snow in 1996. I'm from Atlanta although I have lived in PA twice now. I don't mind the snow but after a few months of being stuck indoors it gets old. Good luck with the move.

Jim
The winter cold will not be new to me, we often get night-time lows in the twenties here. I am planning on three trips to move everything, towing a car each time and maybe shipping one other besides the wife driving one on one trip.

Gerry
Old 01-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Gerry,

If you go with the antique plates, there should be no smog visual inspection. I would leave all of your smog stuff on until you get your plates, but I did not have to have the car inspected at all.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:38 PM
GreyGhost
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gerry,

If you go with the antique plates, there should be no smog visual inspection. I would leave all of your smog stuff on until you get your plates, but I did not have to have the car inspected at all.

You will have to join us for the cruises we do in the Lehigh Valley and Philly area. We are not to far south from where you will be.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Hopefully Ed T will reply. He has a few opinions on PA in winter.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 284 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Regardless of the type of tags you chose, if you drive less than 5000 miles a year, there is no emission inspection. I chose the classic tags which allows greater driving flexibility - cruises, to work on occasion.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to PA

Quick Reply: Moving to PA