Sponsored by:

Whereabouts of Can Am Widebody

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 06:11 PM
smrtmblues
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whereabouts of Can Am Widebody

I am hoping to find the owner of this Can Am Widebody. Its last known registration was in Kentucky sometime in 1988-89 and was used for SCCA type racing in the late 70's. If any of you know of this car, please send me a PM.

I am interested in this car, because after talking with a previous owner, it may have some chassis engineering ideas that I can use on my '69 Can Am.

Thanks, STB.

[IMG]Can Am 01.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]Can Am 02.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]Can Am 03.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-19-2005, 06:18 PM
smrtmblues
Advanced

Well...that didn't work too well. I'll try again.

http://www.greenwoodcorvettes.com/Ot...silverleft.jpg
http://www.greenwoodcorvettes.com/Ot...silverrear.jpg

Originally Posted by smrtmblues
I am hoping to find the owner of this Can Am Widebody. Its last known registration was in Kentucky sometime in 1988-89 and was used for SCCA type racing in the late 70's. If any of you know of this car, please send me a PM.

I am interested in this car, because after talking with a previous owner, it may have some chassis engineering ideas that I can use on my '69 Can Am.

Thanks, STB.

[IMG]Can Am 01.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]Can Am 02.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]Can Am 03.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-19-2005, 10:18 PM
454Can-Am
Racer

Let's see some pic'cs of your car !!! I see you got the pic's off greenwoodcorvettes.com , so e-mail Mike Guyette thru the site and hopefully he can help put you in touch with the owner. Rick
Old 12-20-2005, 10:14 AM
smrtmblues
Advanced

Thanks Rick. Mike and I have exchanged emails on this car and it was the previous owner that provided the pictures that Mike posted. I am in touch with the previous owner and he is looking for the car as well, so if any of you may know its whereabouts, several of us could use the information. I am interested because if it is still in existance, and the chassis hasn't been changed, has some engineering ideas that I may use on mine. You can see pictures of my project at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/810541. Thanks, Marv.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:28 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I don`t want to burst anyones bubble but thats no SCCA racer it`s a street car, and if you look at the rear it says "built by the house of glass" which means someone bought those body panels (which were available from MANY sources) and slapped them on a car. I also don`t remember ever seeing a REAL Greenwood racer or street car with recessed rectangular headlights, the race cars would have had the GM designed "Lemans" plexiglas covers and aluminum buckets with round lights. The magic pieces Greenwood developed are no longer available (although I do know where there is a brand new genuine Greenwood 5-link rear suspension) The rest wasn`t rocket science most of it was re-design by GM engineers and is in the Chevy power book.
...redvetracr

Last edited by redvetracr; 12-20-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:02 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I took these photo's at Riverside International Raceway,Riverside,CA...

This was a mix of classes running.....Corvette was in GT class...roll cage and all...
Rich
Old 12-20-2005, 11:56 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Here is one that ran in the IMSA 6 hour GTO race at Riverside 1979.....note head light covers...

Photo from RIR archives...

Note:The roll bar or cage tells more than this. All SCCA race cars after 1972 had a roll bar number and logbook assigned to it. If the car is supposed to be real and claim to have some long history, then there should be a number. After you find the number, check the local SCCA region to verify the number as to its validity.

Last edited by rihwoods; 12-20-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:36 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

This may be more "recent" engineering....

Old 12-20-2005, 04:14 PM
smrtmblues
Advanced

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I don`t want to burst anyones bubble but thats no SCCA racer it`s a street car, and if you look at the rear it says "built by the house of glass" which means someone bought those body panels (which were available from MANY sources) and slapped them on a car. I also don`t remember ever seeing a REAL Greenwood racer or street car with recessed rectangular headlights, the race cars would have had the GM designed "Lemans" plexiglas covers and aluminum buckets with round lights. The magic pieces Greenwood developed are no longer available (although I do know where there is a brand new genuine Greenwood 5-link rear suspension) The rest wasn`t rocket science most of it was re-design by GM engineers and is in the Chevy power book.
...redvetracr
redvetracer: While I appreciate that your knowledge of the racing world is much more vast than mine, I still hold to what the previous owner is telling me about the vehicle. I may be wrong about the SCCA part of the equation as I haven't verified that part with him, however the vehicle did see many races after it was built.

Please allow me to further explain what I know: The House of Glass was the owner/builder's shop in Louisville where he did custom Vette work at the time. This car was put together from a Vette that was totalled and was rebuilt with the necessary safety equipment, suspension and weight/balance to horsepower ratio. The suspension is set up with coil-overs all around and although the rear wing doesn't look like it in the referenced pictures, it is adjustable. The headlight housing was custom fabricated before any kits were available. You are right in that this car is not a "REAL Greenwood racer". It was never intended to be a Greenwood replica, but the body panels were purchased from the colaborated effort that John Greenwood and Ralph Eckler had put together at the time.

I was hoping not to debate this vehicle with anyone, so...if we could please come back to my original request: Has anyone seen or heard of the whereabouts of this car? Thanks, Marv.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Greenwood79
Pro

Marv..We will keep an eye open for ya. Mike Guyettes a great guy!! Met him at Carlisle last year and we exchange emails here and there.

Andy
Old 07-31-2020, 11:31 PM
thecompound
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vette ID

I just purchased a restoration project, It’s a 1968 Vette with an Eckler Can Am kit.

Im trying to learn what I can about this car, When was it built, How many were built, was it built in house at Ecklers. Ive added some photos of the car and the inspection sticker if that helps . Im pretty sure its an old kit..

Thanks Michael Keller

760-214-7502

Old 08-01-2020, 01:23 AM
davidchristopher
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I know you're new, but- resurrecting a 15 year old thread is not the way to go. In the future, start a new thread instead.

Especially since in this thread, the OP - from 15 years ago - didn't get a clear answer.

Get notified of new replies

To Whereabouts of Can Am Widebody

Quick Reply: Whereabouts of Can Am Widebody