Sponsored by:

Decoding V.I.N# for 68/69

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Augustus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Decoding V.I.N# for 68/69

Can you decode whether a 68 or 69 model year via the V.I.N# what typr of motor came with the car.
For instance my 73 has the fifth digit in which I know is for L48
Z is for 454
Is there any way to distinguish for a 68/69 ?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 01:24 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

not by vin. 72 was the first model year corvette that included engine info in the vin. For 71 and earlier you must rely on a wide range of "subtle clues" and/or documentation to determine what was original equipment. This is all discussed in great detail in a number of threads in the archives.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:24 AM
SharkPilot
Instructor

In a word, NO.
And I would think that there are a few "restorers" that are very thankful of that fact.
All our VIN's tell us is the make, model, body style, year, plant ID and sequence number.

Have you checked the left hand top of the fuel tank for the build sheet? That will tell you all about how your car was built.

SharkPilot
Old 11-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Augustus
Racer

WOW... That's not too good then... How about if the tank sticker is not there. Would that be the determining factor in walking away from a deal?
So if the engine is gone. and no tank sticker,.... There is no really good way to determine what type of engine cam with the car. WOW..
I think the 72 and up Vette's have one up on the earlier models. LOL
Old 11-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Robd
Pro

Originally Posted by Augustus
WOW... That's not too good then... How about if the tank sticker is not there. Would that be the determining factor in walking away from a deal?
So if the engine is gone. and no tank sticker,.... There is no really good way to determine what type of engine cam with the car. WOW..
I think the 72 and up Vette's have one up on the earlier models. LOL
It really depends what you are getting the car for. If the rational is investment, walk away. If the rational is to build a nice daily driver, then the motor dosnt really matter. And if the motor is gone from the car, the matching numbers are gone for forever. In which case you can still build a very nice car out of it and should you ever want to sell, they are plenty people out there that are willing to pay for clean solid well build cars. dispite being NOM. After having to stay original on my 68, I cant wait to get something that I can go crazy on.

Get notified of new replies

To Decoding V.I.N# for 68/69

Quick Reply: Decoding V.I.N# for 68/69