C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just want to thank the previous owner......

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:06 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default I just want to thank the previous owner......

For phucking up everything he touched on this car. I want to thank him for painting the firewall and everything else in the engine bay with cheap crappy paint and he did it right over the grease and dirt. I want to thank him for painting the brake booster with aluminum paint. I want to thank him for the crap interior that looked great until you cleaned it and the paint started to come off. I want to thank him for the 5 coats of paint on the body that took me 1 month to get off. The only thing decent on the car was the motor. But I changed it anyway, I put in a 383. I figured that if I had to replace everything else I might as well do that to. And I really want to thank him for relieving me of 11 grand for a car that looked great until I started to get into it.

Please join in and thank the previous owner of your car.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 PM
demoke
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry bro, I feel your pain. Karma is a witch though.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:25 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Caveat emptor.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Caveat emptor.

Thats right.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

You bought it. Why complain now.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:23 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

i thought at first this was a feel good thread.i suffered through the same type of repair work, and feel that if my hand was not there it is messed up.no sense at this point to dwell on it as we now have the cars we always wanted.good luck on the rest of your repairs.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by paul 74
You bought it. Why complain now.

I'm not complaining. I am just thanking the previous owner for phucking this car up.

And I didn't start this thread as a outlet for my frustrations. I started it as a place for others to put their thanks to the previous owners of their cars.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
danthony
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Thats right.
Ditto.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

I want to thank the previous owner for keeping the car 99% stock. The next owner will thank ME for taking good care of it and making it faster!

Les
Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 PM
bozzman3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Old car guy for buying my vette and never driving it!Thanks old guy for changing out my speed o with a 120 mph one that's correct looking for the car!Thanks 2nd owner of my car for never driving in the rain and treating my car like one of your kids!Now I got to do what I wanted to do!Anything thats screwed up on my car I did!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

if i get hosed i generally keep it to myself
Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Mine sounds like it went the other way. I thank the previous owner for being truthful, and showing me all the bad spots, and letting me know what all was missing. Also for the extra parts, books, info, and leads on where to get parts that I needed.
I`d thank him for the offers to help put the front clip on, and his phone calls to other local Corvette club members who ALSO offered any help, any time!
Fortunately, I bought my first Vette from a real "Corvette enthusiast", who also owns a couple BEAUTIFUL coupes, a 67, and 69.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I have some thanks like the original poster.
Thanks for using a coat hanger on the neutral switch to keep it always on. Thanks for bottoming out the car and crashing the oil pan into the oil pickup tube starving the top end of oil. Thanks for taking out the original seatbelts, and then buying after market belts, but tying them to the seat hoops instead of bolting them down safely. Thanks for repainting the car, which looks nice, but then you put the 454 emblems in the wrong place, so that the previous hole location can be seen at the correct angle. But most of all thanks for selling me this great car so I can restore it to what it should be.

kdf
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by dtamustang
if i get hosed i generally keep it to myself

Everybody gets hosed at least once in life. It dosen't bother me because I can fix it and pay for it.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by kdf1986
I have some thanks like the original poster.
Thanks for using a coat hanger on the neutral switch to keep it always on. Thanks for bottoming out the car and crashing the oil pan into the oil pickup tube starving the top end of oil. Thanks for taking out the original seatbelts, and then buying after market belts, but tying them to the seat hoops instead of bolting them down safely. Thanks for repainting the car, which looks nice, but then you put the 454 emblems in the wrong place, so that the previous hole location can be seen at the correct angle. But most of all thanks for selling me this great car so I can restore it to what it should be.

kdf

Thats how I feel. The car being a mess gives me an reason to make it the way I want it.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

unfortunatly i get hosed from time to time..........my dad always told me its a "character builder"..........i have my fair share of character
Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to the PO of mine for disassembling it completely and throwing out any part which had no core value, keeping only the original bare block, allowing his young daughters to "protect" it both inside and out using gray spray bomb primer and no masking tape anywhere. Also for losing almost all of the original trim and hardware during his stewardship, and for neatly stacking the suspension (in its entirety), the block and transmission under the jackstand supported shell in a dirt floored garage for several years causing all manner of oxidation, grime and cobwebbing. But mostly I thank him for talking himself down from his $500 asking price to $450 and also paying the back taxes on it and getting the title in his name for a "clean" transfer of ownership... and spending a Saturday getting it back on wheels using bent nails and assorted wooden shims so I could roll it on a trailer. And throwing in the 4 jack stands!

It should be on the road by spring.

Get notified of new replies

To I just want to thank the previous owner......

Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

And the seller wants to thank YOU for not looking the car over very well...and for not noticing all the crappy things he did to hide the 'flaws'...AND for buying it "as is"--for ca$h money!

We really do feel bad for you. But, we can't really find much fault with the seller. It is the buyer's responsibility to check out what is purchased. It is the seller's responsibility to convince you that "this is the car for you"! So, he was just doing his job, and, apparently did OK.

Good luck with the repairs....

P.S. You are FAR from alone.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
I'm not complaining. I am just thanking the previous owner for phucking this car up.

And I didn't start this thread as a outlet for my frustrations. I started it as a place for others to put their thanks to the previous owners of their cars.
The next owner may think you p++++d it up by removing the origonal engine and replacing it with the flavor of the month engine !

Bill
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
And the seller wants to thank YOU for not looking the car over very well...and for not noticing all the crappy things he did to hide the 'flaws'...AND for buying it "as is"--for ca$h money!

We really do feel bad for you. But, we can't really find much fault with the seller. It is the buyer's responsibility to check out what is purchased. It is the seller's responsibility to convince you that "this is the car for you"! So, he was just doing his job, and, apparently did OK.

Good luck with the repairs....

P.S. You are FAR from alone.

A few things you really can't check out. Like 5 coats of paint. The only reason I found that was because I wanted to replace the rear bumper. Once I got into that I saw how thick the paint was. And being I have been painting cars for 35 years I realized that was no good. Interior looked good until I started to clean it. To be honest the car was a real nice driver. But once you dug into it, it needed work. But someone could have lived with it and driven it the way it was.

Quick Reply: I just want to thank the previous owner......