Sponsored by:

I hate it went people let there vettes die

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 10:16 AM
flyC3girl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate it when people let there vettes die

Well I was helping move my sister into her first place this weekend, and what do I see next door, a 68 corvette. The car is in some bushes and under a tree, and being completely neglected, made me want to cry. I took a couple of quick shots of it.

I ran over there real quick and looked at it. Its a convertible hard top, 4 speed, body seems decent, but im sure underneath isn't pretty. I am going to have my sister try and get to know the neighbor and maybe they will sell it to me for cheap. I just pains me to see it sitting there.

Last edited by flyC3girl; 08-08-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:22 AM
grayhook
Pro

what a shame.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:26 AM
SR7D1
Advanced

Originally Posted by flyC3girl
Well I was helping move my sister into her first place this weekend, and what do I see next door, a 68 corvette. The car is in some bushes and under a tree, and being completely neglected, made me want to cry. I took a couple of quick shots of it.

I ran over there real quick and looked at it. Its a convertible hard top, 4 speed, body seems decent, but im sure underneath isn't pretty. I am going to have my sister try and get to know the neighbor and maybe they will sell it to me for cheap. I just pains me to see it sitting there.

Try to get to know the neighbor? WTF? Just go up and knock on the door ask him/her if they want to sell it?

I can't recall ever "getting to know" the owner of any of the cars I bought? Besides, everyone "knows" Mr. Franklin!
Old 08-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

What a friggin shame. I have told this story a number of times with the 64 GTO that has been sitting up the street from me for about 10 years and it has probably sat longer, Approached the guy just to see what was up and the old quote came out "Well I plan on finishing her up someday" The GTO is a BASKET case, it would need a complete frame off at MINIMUM and I would be surprised if half the frame was even left at this point.

I am willing to bet you run into the same scenario. But approach them anyway, screw getting to know them. The worst they can say is "Not for sale"
Old 08-08-2005, 10:41 AM
flyC3girl
Racer

You guys are right I should have just went up to the door. They had a lot of crap around there yard and porch. They might as well have one less thing around. Next time I got up there I will talk the people there. Don;t know why I didn't just do it in the first place
Old 08-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've all seen these types, they see 69 Vettes on Barrett-Jackson and eBay for 50,000-80,000 and that's what they think that disintegrating mess is worth.

A real shame, I'd love to have/fix up that car.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:11 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be willing to bet that car's not for sale because they're going to fix it up, "someday." I'd also bet they probably get an inquiry or two every month, on average.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Robd
Pro

what a shame, it might be a 69, I dont see backup lights in the rear exhaust filler panel. good luck
Old 08-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

They always say "I plan on restoring it"....
In my own neighborhood, there's 2.5 vettes that I know of that are rotting away on someones property. One is an 80 thats sitting on 4 flat tires ,covered in bird crap and other forms of debris. I'd bet it hasnt been moved in years.
One is a mid 70's coupe. Under some trees, covered by a tarp. The .5 vette is a front clip (inc firewall and complete headlight assemblies) of a chrome bumper vette, with a tree beginning to grow out of the engine compartment. I'll probably try and score the 80.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

I've got a similiar situation by me. Down the road from there is a 69 Z28 Camaro Black w/White stripes with stock ralleys on it sitting in a carport for the last 10 yrs. or so, 6 of those yrs. with no plates. I drive past it every day on the way to and from work, looking everytime to see if it's still there. I have a real obsession with this car and have thought several times about stopping to inquire about it, however I think the owner probably knows what it's worth because it use to have Historical plates on it. I think I may have just talked myself onto stopping there tonight and asking, what's the worse that they can say, not for sale? Or maybe they've lost interest and want to get rid of it at a reasonable offer. It's a car that I always wanted and I probably won't rest until I find out about it one way or the other and get it out of my system.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:28 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

the other story you'll hear is that car belonged to a son who died in viet nam. if you hear that, just don't even bother. those people are hanging on to a material memory. sucks for us, but a pain few can relate to.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:24 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

I ran into the samething but it was a 69 Roadrunner. It was under a tree with a canves over it. All you could see was the tail light and about 4" of the rear deck. What I found out made me want to cry. It still bothers me today. The kid was 19 when he bought the car new. When he got his orders sending him to Vietnam he parked the car and put the cances over it. By now you should know what happened. Thats right. He came home in a box and the parents never touched the car again. Being a Vietnam vet. I cry for him and his family every time I think about it. So be carful what you say before you hear the story behind the car. Ther is more sadness to this story. After setting for 35 years some a$$holes stole it last year.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Brown78
I ran into the samething but it was a 69 Roadrunner. It was under a tree with a canves over it. All you could see was the tail light and about 4" of the rear deck. What I found out made me want to cry. It still bothers me today. The kid was 19 when he bought the car new. When he got his orders sending him to Vietnam he parked the car and put the cances over it. By now you should know what happened. Thats right. He came home in a box and the parents never touched the car again. Being a Vietnam vet. I cry for him and his family every time I think about it. So be carful what you say before you hear the story behind the car. Ther is more sadness to this story. After setting for 35 years some a$$holes stole it last year.

No offense to any vet as I am one. But let's be perfectly honest here. Letting a car rot in your yard is not going to bring your loved ones back from the dead. Do their memory honor and let someone who will love the car just as much bring it back to it's former glory. You are not doing your loved ones memory any justice by letting something they cherished rot away. If you were going to do that just bury it with them.

But I DO hope that whoever the fksticks were that stole it are caught and hung .
Old 08-08-2005, 04:23 PM
BLVette75
Instructor

I agree, seeing that car sitting there rotting away seems like such a shame. I would love to own it myself....

BLVette75
Old 08-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Just up the road from me there is a late C1 setting in the front yard and hasn't moved in 10 years. The car is almost green from setting under the trees and the rear bow on the top is starting to bend upward. Setting right beside it is a chrome bumper coupe. Same sad shape. Behind the C1, is an early GTO. All 3 cars have not moved in at least 10 years. It just blows me away. I will see if I can dig up a few pics.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Daytona69
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks similar to this one I posted a couple of months ago...spotted this disaster in South Central L.A. while appraising a house

Old 08-08-2005, 08:47 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Packrats never clean house...

Get notified of new replies

To I hate it went people let there vettes die

Old 08-08-2005, 09:22 PM
BLVette75
Instructor

Default I saw another dieing Vette today

Ironically, on my way home today, I spotted a Vette in need. It was a non-chrome C3 that had four flats, purple paint was faded, side pipes rusted, hood appeared to be just sitting on top of the enigine, but not attached to the hinges...... It is obvious the car has not moved in a long time. If I am able, I will snap a photo.... However, in that part of town (Memphis), that may get me shot

BLVette75
Old 08-08-2005, 09:36 PM
jlelec
Pro

Default Old Car Values

I agree about Barrett Jackson and EBAY, people think all old cars are worth a fortune! I causes people like us that knows how much work and money goes into car restoration. What a shame!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:54 PM
matchframe
Pro

It has a Big Block hood!!

If it is original, then it could be a Tri-Power!!
I would be bugging that neighbor until they sold it to me!

www.bigdogvettes.com

Quick Reply: I hate it went people let there vettes die