Sponsored by:

floor seat belt retractors don't fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:41 AM
GuinessGary
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default floor seat belt retractors don't fit

Hi to everyone. This is my first post on the forum although I have been reading it for a few months and enjoy the many topics that are discussed. I really need some advice and I'm sure someone can help. I have a 76 with a 75 frame and new floor pans bought from Paragon in Michigan. The guy that did the work did not instal the seat belts(originals) when the car came back. I have tried every possible way to make the floor retractor fit.The hole that is there matches a hole in the frame but when I bolt the retractor in, the seat can't go in, the retractor is to high. There is a square dip in the pan where the retractor fits but it doesn't when you align it with the hole made in the pan and frame. I don't remember where the retractor fit before the new frame. The entire floor and carpeting were really rotton I will try posting pics later tonight. to hot out there now Thanks for any advice. Gary
Old 07-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If it will fit without the hole aligned, drill another hole or pound out the pan where you need it a little lower. Just a suggestion.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:30 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Welcome aboard!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

My 75 retractors don't bolt to the frame. There is a reinforcement welded to the rocker channels for this purpose. I thought there was no change in 76, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Ed T
be sure to put a plastic spacer between the floor & the retractor. this will allow the retractor to swivel and not rust fast to the floor.
This is a great idea. Where were you when I put mine back in? I don't think I want to pull everything out again just to add the plastic spacers. Good idea though.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:31 PM
GuinessGary
Instructor

Thanks for the great pics. I see how the retractors fit but I have a hole in the pan to the frame to bolt them in. Obviously not right from what I see from the pics.When I lay the retractors in the way you showed me, they do allow the seats to fit over them. Now what, I would have to drill a hole in the pan but where would I get the weld nut and reinforcement? It seems that bolting to the frame is a lot safer but I know they can't. There must have been an area stamped on the new pans that were thought to be the seat belt bolt holes why else would the guy that put the pans in do this. I should talk to this guy but he's so hard to get a hold of. I wonder if any C3's with a harness are bolted to the frame. Thanks again, pictures say it all. Gary

Last edited by GuinessGary; 07-26-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:28 PM
RC73
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would help if you posted a pic of the top area and bottom area so we could see what you have to work with like the pics ED T posted.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:32 PM
GuinessGary
Instructor

Here are some pics that were taken yesterday. As you can see we have applied and sound deadner and a heat shield to the floor pans. The seat retractor can only be bolted in as shown. Your advice in how to fix this problem is excellent. Hope this helps with showing the problem. Thanks, Gary
Old 07-26-2005, 06:00 PM
JRS 73
Intermediate

You should be able to rivet a reinforcement plate to the bottom of the pan. That is what I did for a seat frame bolt. Great advice above on the plastic spacer. When I put in my seatbelts only one had the spacer, the other doesn't. I hope it doesn't cause me too many problems down the road.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:13 PM
GuinessGary
Instructor

I know what I will be doing this weekend. Thanks for excellent advice. The vette came back with all the interior removed except the dash.All the nuts, bolts and screws were in a bag. Looking at your pics now tells me what looks like" handles", are made for. The hole that the retractor is bolted to must be one of the holes for which are the guides for the belts. I will look for the other in the frame. This vette has been gone to the vette doctor more than its been in my garage. We never thought we would buy an older vette and look where it has taken us, but it's been a lot of fun and $$$. Just starting to do the interior, the carpet is first on the budget but will need to also put the interior trim pieces in the rear deck. I will probably need help with that too since I haven't seen the car together since last November. Thanks a million. Gary

Get notified of new replies

To floor seat belt retractors don't fit

Quick Reply: floor seat belt retractors don't fit