Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior still hot!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 05:13 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Just a suggestion on your heat shield shape.

With your current shape, won't that capture radiant heat from the sides of the pipe and direct it up into the tranny tunnel?

Would a better design be just an inverted U with the peak over the centerline of the pipe? The peak would act as a trap for the heat and keep it from the interior until it was blown aft by the draft.

We seem to be running in many of the same threads. Same car, same threads I guess....

Cheers
Old 08-15-2005, 05:47 PM
BLVette75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CMYC4GO
My 76 used to get like a brick oven inside. The OEM heatshielding was crap. I ordered some space age stuff from JC Whitney, pulled up all the carpet, and went to work. Covered everything that was coverable with this stuff, and it was a difference of night and day. I forget what it's called, but supposedly it's used by NASA. It came in a big roll (enough to do 3 Corvettes) and if I remember right, it was about $80 for the roll.

Thats cheaper than Ecklers kit.... I will look at JC Whitney... thanks for the heads up.

BLVette75
Old 08-15-2005, 07:02 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SLVRSHRK
Just a suggestion on your heat shield shape.

With your current shape, won't that capture radiant heat from the sides of the pipe and direct it up into the tranny tunnel?

Would a better design be just an inverted U with the peak over the centerline of the pipe? The peak would act as a trap for the heat and keep it from the interior until it was blown aft by the draft.

We seem to be running in many of the same threads. Same car, same threads I guess....

Cheers
That is an excellant suggestion !! I can reshape it and mount it with muffler clamps to maintain the air gap without shield contacting pipe...(just got done removing it).
Thanks...
I noticed that too...good learning experience here,and I hope I have helped some others as well...
Rich
Old 08-15-2005, 07:08 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by SLVRSHRK

Cheers
Noticed you have the L-82 4 speed....do you have the 3.70:1 rear ?
Rich
Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 PM
82Vette'ster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rihwoods
.....Tried a short cut by tacking shield to pipe...
From the photo the shield looks to be fairly dark. You'd get little better results if you spray it with high temp aluminizing or make it more reflective some how. White on the side that faces the interior will also radiate less heat. Just .02

I'm working on several of the suggestions here in this thread, as you know it gets a little warm here in AZ.

Last edited by 82Vette'ster; 08-16-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:47 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

[QUOTE=82Vette'ster]
Originally Posted by rihwoods.....Tried a short cut by tacking shield to pipe...[/QUOTE

'From the photo the shield looks to be fairly dark. You'd get little better results if you spray it with high temp aluminizing or make it more reflective some how. White on the side that faces the interior will also radiate less heat. Just .02 "

I'm working on several of the suggestions here in this thread, as you know it gets a little warm here in AZ.
I'm going to paint it.May even add thermotec to pipe side.

Arizona set some heat records this year....was following weather in Phoenix...
Rich

Last edited by rihwoods; 08-15-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:27 AM
rtpilot
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indy Year 25
I bought this heater control manual shut off valve at Autozone. I have not installed it yet, but I think it will look like it belongs. This is part number 84707, it cost $11.99 (last summer). I believe they have a couple sizes.

I just installed this last week. Made a great difference in the cockpit. And the valve is barely visible.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:58 PM
carnutbob
Heel & Toe

Default Vent seal restoration

A problem I discovered with my '69 is that the soft foam that seals the vent doors down in the kick panel area is completely gone. It looks impossible to remove the flap doors without drilling the rivets that hold them together. Any ideas?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:45 PM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carnutbob
A problem I discovered with my '69 is that the soft foam that seals the vent doors down in the kick panel area is completely gone. It looks impossible to remove the flap doors without drilling the rivets that hold them together. Any ideas?
Doc Rebuild sells a replacement kit for the vent doors. Just got it myself, $11.50 does both sides if you have an earlier vette. Instructions look pretty straightforward. Aparently you will have to drill the old rivets and then peen in the new rivets that some with the kit. Only problem is Doc has a 20 buck min order so you'll have to order some other item you need as well.
ESU
Old 11-25-2005, 09:48 AM
carnutbob
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks for the tip on Doc Rebuild

I wasn't familiar with Doc Rebuild, but I like that they have some things that I haven't seen anyone else selling.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:56 AM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carnutbob
I wasn't familiar with Doc Rebuild, but I like that they have some things that I haven't seen anyone else selling.
Have them send you a catalog, their website is about 4 yrs out of date. Friendly service and good tech people also.
ESU

Quick Reply: Interior still hot!!!