C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Vette is not in the shop 24 hours yet....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

like the old shifter wasn't shot
more likely a bad trans

Last edited by Matt Gruber; 07-14-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Pauld
Any news yet on the car Len?

No, no news, I've been working long days. I'll call tomorrow AM. I told him he could have the car for the week.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

....especially if its your 17yr

Well bobs77vet, I've got a 15 yr. old that getting his drivers license in several months and for some reason he seems to be willing to do anything to help me get this car back on the road after 15 years of storage. I'm down to just a couple of things but due to the cash flow situation, and a vacuum leak that I just can't figure out, he's so frustrated that it's not on the road yet. And he says it has nothing to do with him possibly wanting to driving it when he gets his license. Go figure........lol

Frank
Old 07-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Well bobs77vet, I've got a 15 yr. old that getting his drivers license in several months and for some reason he seems to be willing to do anything to help me get this car back on the road after 15 years of storage. I'm down to just a couple of things but due to the cash flow situation, and a vacuum leak that I just can't figure out, he's so frustrated that it's not on the road yet. And he says it has nothing to do with him possibly wanting to driving it when he gets his license. Go figure........lol
Frank

Don't for get the secret switch
Old 07-14-2005, 11:51 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JugHead I also feel the new shifters are of questionable quality. Years ago there was HURST and then there was arggggggggg Mr. Gasket. The only way to go if you wanted a shifter to work and work correctly was with a HURST. Every single Mr. Gasket shifter I ever messed with was total junk. And well since Rm. Gasket purchased HURST . You can rebuild the old shifters to like new performance. .
Old 07-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

I'm hoping I don't need it Bangkok Dean, but I maybe have to rethink that since you've put so much emphasis on it.

Frank
Old 07-15-2005, 09:52 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr

Frank
i have had a great time with my son on this...we started this when he was 15 as a father/ son project and eventually the car will be his....keep the kid engaged in it, it is a good diversion from some of the things kids shouldn't be doing.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:57 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=bobs77vet]you know when they can't even start the car it just sends shivers down my spine [QUOTE]

I had a simiar experience with a "smog only" station in CA. These guys are strictly smog techs. not even allowed to perform adjustments by law so as to keep the system "honest"

My car passes, and while I am inside paying, I see the guy pull the car out of the garage and struggling to get the key out of the ignition. He eventually just leaves it (in the middle of a city) and when I get in, duh, the car is in 1st gear and the key is turned halfway. Guess he had a little trouble with the reverse lockout. So much for "trained technicians."

The great thing about this forum is all the great mechanics here who may or not be "trained technicians," not all the "trained technicians" who aren't mechanics!
Old 07-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

keep the kid engaged in it, it is a good diversion from some of the things kids shouldn't be doing.

Sounds like a good plan bobs77vet!
Old 07-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I called the shop on Friday and he has re-wired the starter wires but the starter won't turn. It works fine on the bench but once he has it bolted on it turns slowly then nothing. I'm going to take over a new starter on Monday. He's going to swap out the positive battery cable too.

This was work that wasn't planned. I took the car to him to fix the locking shifter. I've always had starter wiring problems. It just so happened that it died in the parking lot of his shop. Better there than out on the road somewhere.

He said he wasn't expecting to get into the starter and wiring problems but will get the car back on the road. He has two other cars in the shop that he must get finished by Tuesday for a show.

I told him to let me know if there is anything that looks out of place or unsafe. Well he did. He said my side exhaust pipes were re-welded at the manifold/pipe juncture, and done incorrectly. I bought the pipes "used." That's why the pipes are sitting so low. They should actually be tucked up under the covers. There is a visible gap between the manifold and pipes. Thats why I'm getting the popping and back firing in the pipes.

Last edited by Jughead; 07-17-2005 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

All I can say is Boy these cars are fun.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:54 AM
007-8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something about your mechanic doesn't sound right. Did he try jumping the starter solenoid? Did he try an alternate ground stap from the starter? Also, if the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe have a gap, there will be exhaust noise, but not back fire or pop. If back firing and poping, then it sounds like raw fuel is getting into the exhaust. Which would mean you're carb is runnig rich. Open exhaust cars don't back fire or pop. I could be wrong, I don't call myself an automechanic, however something sounds fishy with your mechanic. I might think about finding a secound opinion.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:55 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

That was a good catch on the exhaust....
Old 07-17-2005, 08:15 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 007-8
Something about your mechanic doesn't sound right. Did he try jumping the starter solenoid? Did he try an alternate ground stap from the starter? Also, if the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe have a gap, there will be exhaust noise, but not back fire or pop. If back firing and poping, then it sounds like raw fuel is getting into the exhaust. Which would mean you're carb is runnig rich. Open exhaust cars don't back fire or pop. I could be wrong, I don't call myself an automechanic, however something sounds fishy with your mechanic. I might think about finding a secound opinion.

Hmmmm, good point...... with a visible gap it should be very loud and you should have noticed it

Of course, now that the car doesn't start you can't check for exhaust noise or leaks

I assume he wants to fix the exhaust first and then install the new starter ???
Old 07-17-2005, 08:21 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

The gap is visible when you push up on the side pipes. There was no gap or so I thought when I put them on. He said I could tighten them & tighten them and eventually they'd work themselves loose. With the way (angle) the flange tip is welded there's just no way for the junction to remain sealed. The pipes are just too heavy. Never had side pipes before so I didn't notice the difference.

No he doesn't want to replace the pipes. I think I'll get a set from Sweet Thunder.

He's saving me time by doing the work. Right now I just don't have any free time and probably won't for the next month.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

ouch Get ready to bend over....I think this one might hurt!

Tell him to throw in a copy of the RamJet Scan SW when you get the price

Bullshark
Old 07-17-2005, 09:06 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullshark

Bullshark
I agree this is a blank check for him. It is really going to hurt when you get the bill. Playing with wiring is something you can do yourself without getting shafted.

Get notified of new replies

To My Vette is not in the shop 24 hours yet....

Old 07-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bullshark

Tell him to throw in a copy of the RamJet Scan SW when you get the price

Bullshark

I don't know about the $$. I'll find out more on Monday when I drop off the starter. I think if he wanted to scam me he would have insisted that HE get the starter and then add his %.

I'm not the best at describing situations and events. I think I'm a pretty good judge of character and I think this guy is being straight up with me.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:26 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Good morning Len whats the latest on your car?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:34 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Due to work & family constantly interfering with my Vette time, I'll drop off the starter tomorrow morning. I ordered a new +positive batt cable too and that'll be here tomorrow too. The neg is BO'd.

So far he said I'm only into him for about 1 hr labor.

Quick Reply: My Vette is not in the shop 24 hours yet....