Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointing Bloomington Gold-Long.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 09:32 PM
GasketDude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Disappointing Bloomington Gold-Long.

Chicagoland shows used to be some of the biggest around. The vendor area and swap meets were a place to wheel and deal, drop a load of cash, and wheel out some big ticket items. It was a win/win for both vendor and buyers.

Unfortunately one had to carry that stuff a long way back to the car. But it was like a badge of honor carrying a new cowl hood or maybe some chrome sidepipes through the crowd.

Now I understand the issues vendors have getting their goods to "market". Working for a major aftermarket maufacturer for 15 years, I worked many performance shows. But if your don't bring the product, how can you sell it? And if you don't stay until the cutoff time on Sunday how can you sell it? And if the show promoters don't stop raising the prices, how can the vendors afford to show up to sell it? And if we buy everything on Ebay, who'll show up to buy it?

I went to Bloomington Gold in St.Charles, IL this afternoon. I got there just before 2pm. Was charged full price, $17, with only a few hours before people would start to pack up or leave the show car area for home. The vendor/swap meet area already looked more like a trailer parking lot then a "swapmeet". Now it's been in the mid '90's and humid this weekend. Which June in Chicagoland it's normally not this hot. But a 1/3 of the vendors had left, 1/3 were packed, and the last 1/3 were mostly t-shirt/model car/car paperwork vendors. With a few "hardcore" guys still around. I bought from them even though I probably have the stuff in a tote I've forgotten about. Though I wasn't able to get that DeWitt/Spal fan kit from who ever was supposed to be selling them for DeWitt(?) today.

Now this show is still about people and I did stop to talk to other '70-'72 guys (while trying to get inspired to get cranking on mine) happy to be there having fun. Talked with a father/son owner who had a Red '78 who had bought some interior stuff from Al Knocke (?). Another '71 guy next to them with a Tremec and other similar stuff like mine has. Neither was in the Gold group or even the Survior crowd, but they were having fun.

Are the shows here dying? What were your thoughts of this weekends show? Or other Chicagoland show? Is it just me ranting after being in '90+ weather and not being able to walk home with something cool. Or have you noticed the same thing?

Last thing. Stopped buy the Gold tent while cars were being awarded (had to stay to justify the $17). And watched those cars leave the tent and load up on huge semi-trailers to be delivered home. One guy could barely operate the clutch while receiving his Gold award! Just sad. One guy's big block '60 something died a few feet from the photo/acceptance spot while accepting their Gold Certificate. That one I can understand with the heat and all. But the Semi-trailers parked out front looked like they were staged at a NASCAR race. And people seemed to be more interested in getting their awards, just to jack up the price of their extrodinary rides. Which you have to respect the quality of those rides, but something just seemed wrong. Maybe it was just the fact that 75% of those owners were my mom's age ('60's) or something. I'm 38.

Kudo to those guys still installing Bola exhaust till 4pm. Or those guys out front at the tire shop(?) at 5pm when I left still mounting tires/wheels. You guys are really men.

Sorry for the rant,
Later.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:49 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GasketDude
Last thing. Stopped buy the Gold tent while cars were being awarded (had to stay to justify the $17). And watched those cars leave the tent and load up on huge semi-trailers to be delivered home. One guy could barely operate the clutch while receiving his Gold award! Just sad. One guy's big block '60 something died a few feet from the photo/acceptance spot while accepting their Gold Certificate. That one I can understand with the heat and all. But the Semi-trailers parked out front looked like they were staged at a NASCAR race. And people seemed to be more interested in getting their awards, just to jack up the price of their extrodinary rides. Which you have to respect the quality of those rides, but something just seemed wrong. Maybe it was just the fact that 75% of those owners were my mom's age ('60's) or something. I'm 38.
Excellent rant. You hit the nail on the head!
Old 06-26-2005, 09:50 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I've always heard some great stories and a fare share of horror stories about the Bloomington Gold Show. I've never been but it is on my must do list.
I would not be happy being charged full price with only a few hours left for the show however I would not be complaining about vendors leaving or packing up with those same few hours remaining. After a long hot weekend most vendors pack up b4 the end of the show for the usually long ride home.....and I can't really blame them.

IMHO, if you want that hard to find part you go the day the vendors are setting up, not the last hours of a show.

Quote "And people seemed to be more interested in getting their awards, just to jack up the price of their extrodinary rides."

BTW, not sure how you were reading these people's minds but a lot of us older folks (over 50) enjoy these cars as much if not more than you might think and are not in it for increased dollar value.

Last edited by gq82; 06-26-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:12 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
St. Jude Donor '05

This sounds like th same post I write every time I return from Corvette EXPO in Knoxville. Woody from BamaVettes usually writes one too.

I didn't have the internet until '99 and Ebay wasn't as big as it is today. So prior to that we looked forward to doing the shopping list at a big show like you described above. Now I just crank up the 'Puter and order or shop and compare prices on new items or look on E-bay for used ones. I guess the technology of today has taken some of the necessity of the big shows away.

Even if the Vendor is there he only has display items and will ship your purchase on his return to the shop. I bought all of my fiberglass from Vanacor until Bryan was killed and they no longer come to the shows, before that I bought from the Orr boys out of Maryville until they changed over to street rods and sold all of the Corvette molds to someone else.

I have driven 200 miles each way to EXPO twice a year for the last 20 years and anymore I usually only come home with a new ball cap or T shirt. I guess it is just a dying event like many others falling by the way because of new technology. I still enjoy going and seeing the show, but the days of good used C-3 parts are over, repo parts are available year 'round and I'm getting older...........
Old 06-26-2005, 10:54 PM
GasketDude
Racer

Your both right.

I thought getting there late in the 1 o'clock hour would have been enough time. Seeing how they're usually required to wait till 3:30 or 4pm before packing up. And my mom, who's in her early 60's, has a '59. We've been going to these shows since the early eighties (wow-30+ yrs?). She's also the governor of a local vette club and attends many events. She seems to express the same views about some of the shows as I.

I guess I would like to attend shows with my 7yr old like mom and I did for all those years. To this day I'm still conditioned to search for rear bumperets that we needed back then. Maybe it's really just a curse?

Now I've been known to buy off the internet. Bought my 17" TTII's online along with a set of mirrors that came w/the mounting hardware included (most have as a seperate item). Bought my tires from TireRack and mounted them myself. But with my everyday car, I take it to the local shops to "keep the economy going". But with the Vette, something seems to be missing that used to make it all so cool.

Could be right with that age thing...

Now I've been back in the A/C and everything seems to be back to normal. And next year I'll be back again. Just stupid that way I guess. Hopefully I can get that Spal fan setup after the show.

Gotta keep the tradition going, kid will be going if he doesn't have Soccer, Baseball, C-Scouts, etc....
Old 06-26-2005, 11:01 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Dude, The hardcore buyers are there on Thursday, the serious buyers are there on Fri and maybe Sat BUT NEVER on Sun. That swap meet was a ghost town on Fri, a little better on Sat and why waste my time on Sun?? Considering thats when the precious Gold is handed out to those trailer queens that barely run.... This was my fourth and LAST show (did you notice the gravel on the east end was basically empty??) last year it was full...what does that tell you ?? It tells me (like everything else) Bloomington is about money and there is money in having an auction NOT in having a swap meet. big Al Fierke/Chicago Corvette has KILLED the Chevyvettefest swap meet with his greed and now Dana Mecum has killed the swap meet at Bloomington.....
...redvetracr

PS: It cost me $400 for my three swap spaces, $255 for the spaces, $50 in fuel to get back and forth and the $100 I give my daughter to sit there for two days and to help me unload and load...ebay costs NOTHING but a small commission and there is no "whats your best price"?? "best price for who?? you or me!! Don`t make an offer just ask "whats your best price" and walk away!!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:06 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

PS: just in case you haven`t heard NEXT years show is fathers day weekend where YOU will have the priveledge of paying an extra $17 admission (unless it goes up another $2) to spend the day with your 7 year old at the Bloomington Corvette show...........
Old 06-26-2005, 11:55 PM
GasketDude
Racer

That's right, hardcore bargains are had on Thursday and Fridays. But this was off the shelf stuff (Spal fan kit). And had the guy stuck around another hour or so he would have had another $350 to $400 in his pocket. There were plenty of people still there saying the same thing, all ready to buy.

So YOU meaning that you/daughter won't be attending B.G.? Did you make more than $805 in sales to cover your costs?

So instead you'll sit at Jefferson (WI), in the slop, because it always rains Thursday before the shows, spring or fall. And when asked "what kind of car does this fit?" You'll answer, "what kind of car you got?" (inside joke with my swapmeet buddies). (I sold at Skip's in Lake County,IL one year (2-3 yrs ago) and walked out with $1100 in my pocket when it was all said and done. And I was selling to "make it go away"(=cheap) because we were moving to a new house.)

See that's what I'm talking about. The prices are getting out of hand. Most of the bigger vendors are skipping Chicagoland and going to Carlisle(sorry bad spelling right now). And yes, I saw the gravel area, filled with mostly the travel trailers parked there to make room for vendor spots. I missed last year, but the year before that (first year at St.Charles(?)) they had the food court up front. Which made it all look bigger than it actually was.

Seems the Carlisle(?) show in P.A. has been attracting more swapmeet/vendors than anything in Chicagoland. You may see me there next year, since I know VetteFest is going to be a joke.

What time did you leave? I probably walked right by you. What were you selling? There was a couple of father/daughter vendors packing as I hustled through there. And before you ask, mine's a '70 coupe .

Last edited by GasketDude; 06-26-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

One other BIG issue is that NOW it's cheaper and more profitable to sell on eBay and many people are just now selling over the Internet instead of paying for swap spots, 4 days hotel, hundreds of $$$ in fuel to get there, all the packing and sorting of the parts, etc.

In some cases, this may "help" those that do show as it means less vendors to have to shop there. I personally didn't spend ten minutes in the swap-spent over two hours in the car corral and most of it on the "Survivor" field, then I judged Sunday.

Bloomington Gold just renewed their four year contract with Pheasant Run and ALSO for the NEXT four years it will be held Father's Day Weekend.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:24 AM
White 68
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I hit the swap area early friday morning 9am it opened ...There were alot of vendors that still had tarps and tables covered up "" I wanted to beat the heat so I never did go back to the unopened vendors ...

I had about five items to look for and did find one of them...No slam on the vendors , but the price of items at the show were no bargains it really is easier to order on line these days.

The show seemed geared for the auction crowd ...
I,m in the market for a modded C5and only saw a few modded cars and fewer high performance shops there. ..

The special collection display was very good and had some very nice 68 , 69 big blocks best part of the show for me ...last years Callaway display was great also ...
Old 06-27-2005, 03:35 AM
Burnt71
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been to Bloomington and it doesn't compare to Corvettes at Carlisle.Completely different atmosphere. I have never felt welcome at Bloomington. Carlisle is where people who love Corvettes can get together and have a good time regardless of their income level. If I chose to have a trailer queen I probably could , I would rather have five or six C-3s to play around with - My choice. I prefer daily drivers.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:03 AM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I stopped going to Bloomington after Mecum took it over.

I was at a fairly large show (normally 5000 cars, mostly muscle) in St. Ignace Michigan over the weekend. I would have to say that the number of attendees was down around 30% over last year. There were vacancies in almost every hotel which is highly unusual.

I wonder if many of these old cars are just getting sold to collectors who don't drive them?

The locals chamber of commerce sure did have a worried look on their face.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:06 AM
mongo6901
Instructor

Not to get too far off subject, but I used to go to St. Ignace every year. Loved the drive to get there, loved the scenery. But sadly, it's turned into a bunch of rednecks bombing around in pickup trucks with 20 friends in the back and drunken idiots (who don't bring cars) having no respect for the cars that are there.

The straw that broke the camels back was having to clean a wad of chewing tobacco off the driver's seat.

But, to the subject at hand.

I may go to Carlisle just to see the sheer amount of "stuff", but other than that, I'll stick to eBay.

"I have never felt welcome at Bloomington. Carlisle is where people who love Corvettes can get together and have a good time regardless of their income level." - gearheaddroppings

Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:44 AM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by mongo6901

"I have never felt welcome at Bloomington. Carlisle is where people who love Corvettes can get together and have a good time regardless of their income level." - gearheaddroppings

Truer words have never been spoken.
Sorry, that quote belongs to Burnt71. I would love to take credit for it however.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:58 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I went Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday was the chance to buy some odds-and-ends without having to pay shipping and handling. Saturday was nice to hang out with the CF crowd. Sunday was fun to see the trailer queens.

Nice meeting all of you who were there
Old 06-27-2005, 10:13 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by GasketDude

So YOU meaning that you/daughter won't be attending B.G.? Did you make more than $805 in sales to cover your costs?

So instead you'll sit at Jefferson (WI), in the slop??

See that's what I'm talking about. The prices are getting out of hand. Most of the bigger vendors are skipping Chicago
I wouldn`t waste my time at Jefferson (I don`t like going there as a buyer and I get in free!) I also gave up on Waukesha...Greyslake is "just OK"...mostly JUNQUE!! We left Sat afternoon and did NOT come back for Sunday......As for prices of USED stuff, some of those cars are bringing $200K if not MUCH more so that makes the parts for those cars rare and therefore valuable!! I had a #351 block (Corvette 427/435 hp) there but NO buyers just a bunch of commedians asking if "six" meant $600.00....and how is it that so many are crying about a rotten bird cage BUT no buyers of a clean 71 firewall back coupe clip??
...redvetracr
Old 06-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redvetracr
....and how is it that so many are crying about a rotten bird cage BUT no buyers of a clean 71 firewall back coupe clip??
...redvetracr
That was YOU at Bloomington Howard?? Darn..if I had known, I would have said HI!! Sray454 and I were looking at it.
Was there on Friday in the sweltering heat, and went through the swap meet area twice. Pricing of used parts was a shock to me, and the "new" stuff was NO BARGAN either. All the major catalog vendors were advertised "show prices", but $5 to $7 off catalog priceing on big ticket items is no bargan in my book. You all are correct, the swap meet is NOT what it used to be. A few odds & ends were all I went home with.
This was my fourth yr going to Bloomington, and I enjoy it for many reasons. The only disapointment was that only two Forum members showed up in the designated parking area for a group picture at noon. Saw the cars...but not the guys. Sure would have liked to meet some of you. YEAH...THAT INCLUDES YOU PAUL BOROWSKI.
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Disappointing Bloomington Gold-Long.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Bloomington...

As a vendor this year in the Mega Center, I was there Fri, Sat, and Sun by 6:00 AM to make sure my booth was clean, and materials available to view by the gate opening tme of 7:00 AM. There was no needfor any one to order one of my FULL COLOR LAMINATED wiring diagrams as I had plenty of inventory on hand, I did go out of stock on a few years though.

Yes I left at 3:30 on Sunday. Why you ask? Where we the attendees? Sales on Sun were pitiful! By 1:00pm it was a farquing ghost town inside, except for the people who came inside to cool off or buy gold jewelry.

Did I enjoy myself? You bet!! Brought a case of long necks and a bottle of Skyy each day, all who inquired or mentioned the key word of thirsty was offered their choice

Will I vend at Bloomington next year? Maybe...

Was able to meet many new faces and help some Vetters with their electrical gremlins

Don

Last edited by vetsvette2002; 06-27-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I myself love both Bloomington & Carlisle for what they are. Bloomington seems to be the more "prestigious" side of the hobby, whereas Carlisle seems to be the more "fun/informal" side of the hobby. You see more prestigious/Special Collection type cars at BG, where Carlisle to me is more for fun & parts. The evening "cruising" is MORE fun at BG because there are evening cruise-ins & shows that Carlisle doesn't have. Carlisle really doesn't have those big 4 & 6 lane wide super long boulevards like BG does either. But, each show is what it is and I'll continue to go to BOTH as long as I can.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:33 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by White 68
I hit the swap area early friday morning 9am it opened ...There were alot of vendors that still had tarps and tables covered up "" I wanted to beat the heat so I never did go back to the unopened vendors ......
Those vendors were probably "out shopping" what better place to "steal" rare Corvette parts than a Corvette swap meet!!
...redvetracr

Quick Reply: Disappointing Bloomington Gold-Long.