Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in/near Seattle seal gas tanks??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 05:50 PM
LT-1 Larry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone in/near Seattle seal gas tanks??

Dropped my gas tank last night to fix a leaky neck seal and I think I'd like to get the whole tank sealed. I'm pretty impressed with reports on the POR-15 system, but I'm not sure I want go through the mess of doing it. Has anyone had a tank professionally sealed? If there's someone in or near Seattle who does this, I'd like to contact them.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:09 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 279 Likes on 146 Posts

I sealed the tank on my '66 with the Eastwood kit. It has held up fine, (3 years now) but in retrospect I wish I would have just bought a repro tank for $200. The kit was $60 or so, and other cleaners and paint about another $30. It was time consuming, and a mess. If you send it out to be professionally done, it will cost more than a new tank.
Just my $.02

Rich
Old 06-25-2005, 09:56 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

look in the yellow pages for radiator repair, in my area they fix gas tanks also...
Old 06-26-2005, 02:56 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
look in the yellow pages for radiator repair, in my area they fix gas tanks also...
Most radiator shops here in CA will coat inside for $100 to $125 - i thinks it's a urethane coating. Wish i had done that as my original tank had a just a few tiny rust pits where the water condensed and settled to over 30 yrs. Spent $250 for new tank but inside is still unprotected. Also replace the filter sock and all seals.
When i removed the filler neck to swap/replace i found the original cork gasket all cracked up and could not possibly have sealed - just lucky its at the top of tank. Also made my own filler neck drain seal nipple out'a 1/2" brass tubing flared at 1 end (no i'm not getting kinky - thats what its called) as the stock piece is plastic juck and the vendor replacements also bust right up. Made an extra for my forum friends so if your year C3 needs one just send me a PM with address. U will know what i'm talking 'bout when u get there (if ur car uses 1).
BTW who cares what the fuel tank looks like on the outside? Sone one gonn'a crawl under to look? Spare tire carrier in the way.
cardo0

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone in/near Seattle seal gas tanks??

Quick Reply: Anyone in/near Seattle seal gas tanks??