C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, Rust Bullet, POR-15??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:07 PM
uabfan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, Rust Bullet, POR-15??

I am in the process of repairing some rust on my windshield frame. I have already check my body mounts, rocker channels and frame and they all seem fine. There are a few small holes rusted through the windshield frame but not enough to cause any structural issues nor enough to convince me to start cutting out portions of the birdcage, so I have decided (at least for now) to repair the rust. Any opinons on the 3 products listed in the subject line? It looks to me like any of them will work fine.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:16 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

i have only used por-15 and can not speak about the other two. it sounds to me like you could buy a por-15 starter kit and have everything you need to complete this job.

aside from painting on rusty metal. i used it to paint my headlight actuators. one of them had tiny pin holes in it causing it to leak. two coats of the por -15 sealed it up. it is kinda thick...

good tech support too.

good luck
Old 06-22-2005, 12:22 AM
bbeck
Pro

I've used por-15 and like it..
Old 06-22-2005, 12:58 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

POR makes a product that comes in a tube that is just a thicker form. I use it to repair some small holes in a floorpan. I have also used the regular POR and the whitecoat. All work as advertised but I think the stuff in the tube will do the trick for your purposes and then paint the whole thing over with the rust encapsulator.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:49 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you leave the holes in the frame, your windshield will likely leak and your problems will continue. Talk to someone with a MIG welder. If the holes are small, perhaps they can weld the holes closed, grind down the excess and you're good to go. You'd be amazed at how much can be done with one of these things.

I've had good results with POR-15. It's tough stuff. There's a slightly less expensive alternative call Chassis Saver. Same stuff and also good quality but about $5 a quart cheaper.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:01 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LemansBlue68
If you leave the holes in the frame, your windshield will likely leak and your problems will continue. Talk to someone with a MIG welder. If the holes are small, perhaps they can weld the holes closed, grind down the excess and you're good to go. You'd be amazed at how much can be done with one of these things.

I've had good results with POR-15. It's tough stuff. There's a slightly less expensive alternative call Chassis Saver. Same stuff and also good quality but about $5 a quart cheaper.
I repaired some small holes like this - and I have only used POR products.
From what I have read on the forum, all three of these products
should produce similar results - as you suspected.
POR-15 is now available at my local parts store ... so call around, as you
might find it locally.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:58 AM
kdlp
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I've used both the Eastwood and POR-15 products with great success. The "Rust Encapsulator" and "Por-15" seem to me to be identical. (On the other hand, I'm no chemist) As to which is better in the long term, I can't say. The car hasn't hit the road yet and the paint is just months old.

I have done my complete frame with POR-15 and did several of the steering pieces and suspension parts with "Rust Encapsulator". They both go on easily (by brush), they both level well (no brush marks) and I topped them both with Eastwood's Chassis Black.

Bottom line, I think you have two great products from two great companies. It's really a matter of which you can get for the least $$$ and with the least hassle. In the Pacific Northwest it pays to shop around a bit... there are huge price descrepencies between retailers on the POR products....

Good Luck,

kdlp
Old 06-22-2005, 08:34 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Just about my whole chassis and suspension with Rust Bullet. when I replaced my door pillars and windshield frame, I painted them with Rust Bullet also.

I find it to be a great product but the car is not out yet so durability is still in question.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:27 AM
gedge456
Intermediate

Default Rust Encapsulator, Por -15

One of the magazines I subscribe to did a test between Por15 and rust encapsulater. They used both products on a hood that was pretty rusty and then sat it out to weather. They said encapsulater was the better of the two. Article was in Auto Restorer Nov. 2003. Keep us posted on the project, my windshield fame may need the treatment too.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:13 AM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gedge456
One of the magazines I subscribe to did a test between Por15 and rust encapsulater. They used both products on a hood that was pretty rusty and then sat it out to weather. They said encapsulater was the better of the two. Article was in Auto Restorer Nov. 2003. Keep us posted on the project, my windshield fame may need the treatment too.
If I remember correctly that article is posted on the Eastwood website.

Rick B.

Get notified of new replies

To Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, Rust Bullet, POR-15??

Quick Reply: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, Rust Bullet, POR-15??