Sponsored by:

Rinky Dink Flowmaster Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 12:15 PM
8T8T2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rinky Dink Flowmaster Noise

Have had Flowmaster 50's on a couple of yrs. now. Always sounded good until last week. Car is a collector now so I removed the cat. and put in test pipe. Now the car sounds like I of those over-seas things with the oversized muffler. Just idling not bad but when you get on it sounds real raspy, tinny and obnoxious, almost like a baffle inside the mufflers had come loose. All heat shields have been removed hoping that's what was making the noise but no help. Now I'm kind of embarrassed to drive her. Exhaust is a 2-1-2 stock set-up. Anyone had baffles break loose inside Flowmasters?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:31 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I had Flows on one of my Mustangs which were making the same sort of annoying noise, and when I removed the mufflers and tailpipes, what was left of the baffles was inside the tailpipe!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:48 AM
8T8T2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hard to believe that flowmaster's wouldn't hold up. There's only about 5000 mi on them but it sure sounds like something's loose and vibrating inside. Guess I won't know for sure till I remove them. I've got to go with a dual system. Been checking around with muffler shops and they won't touch it unless she leaves there shop with cat's on, which really jacks the price up and now the possibility of new mufflers to boot. Been thinking of Mid-America dual system but hear a lot of bad with very little good about there system. Guess I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:56 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Maybe there's nothing wrong with the Flowmasters... maybe it sounds raspy because you removed the converter...

There are several "bolt on" true dual systems out there - you don't need a muffler shop to install these.

I'd suggest (example MidAmerica) 603-840 or 603-842 stainless dual setup and to inspect and re-use your Flowmasters. They have a warranty - if there are loose baffles i'd contact them and ask for a replacement.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:02 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 8T8T2
Have had Flowmaster 50's on a couple of yrs. now. Always sounded good until last week. Car is a collector now so I removed the cat. and put in test pipe. Now the car sounds like I of those over-seas things with the oversized muffler. Just idling not bad but when you get on it sounds real raspy, tinny and obnoxious, almost like a baffle inside the mufflers had come loose. All heat shields have been removed hoping that's what was making the noise but no help. Now I'm kind of embarrassed to drive her. Exhaust is a 2-1-2 stock set-up. Anyone had baffles break loose inside Flowmasters?
Whack the muffler with a two X four.If baffle is loose,you will hear it...then get some Dynomax Ulta or Super Turbo's...

Get notified of new replies

To Rinky Dink Flowmaster Noise

Quick Reply: Rinky Dink Flowmaster Noise