Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

WANTED: '56 - '57 Corvette project

Old 06-15-2014, 08:22 AM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 288 Likes on 121 Posts

Default WANTED: '56 - '57 Corvette project

I'd like to buy an entire '56 - '57 rear body tub (firewall back) or a '56 - '57 Corvette project car. I could not be more serious.

Thanks,

Jerry Bramlett
Mobile, AL
(251) 478-4003
jerrybramlett@comcast.net
Old 06-15-2014, 08:18 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default To George in Florida

Thanks for the tip about Ron's '57 in Colorado. We talked today and he sent me pictures. Unfortunately, that particular Corvette body is beyond my own repair skills. It would take a lot of patience to put it back together again and have everything properly aligned.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Patrick67
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
I'd like to buy an entire '56 - '57 rear body tub (firewall back) or a '56 - '57 Corvette project car. I could not be more serious.
Maybe this one would work for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Base-Convertible-2-Door-1957-corvette-/221468801549?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339091ba0d&item=221468801549&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 06-18-2014, 05:36 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Nice car.

Originally Posted by PTighe
Maybe this one would work for you.

Chevrolet Corvette Base Convertible 2 Door | eBay
Patrick, I'm trying to get more info out of that seller. Thanks for the tip.

Jerry
Old 06-20-2014, 08:02 AM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Patrick, I'm trying to get more info out of that seller. Thanks for the tip.

Jerry
I haven't been able to get this eBay seller to return my calls or post/send more photos. I don't believe it's a scam ad, but I do think the seller has decided he won't furnish the info I need to bid with confidence.

So I'm still looking.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:05 AM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I'm still looking.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Incidentally... I don't mind buying the remains of an entire car with only a notarized Bill of Sale, but I must at least know the VIN of the vehicle to make sure the title is not already registered somewhere.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Incidentally... I don't mind buying the remains of an entire car with only a notarized Bill of Sale, but I must at least know the VIN of the vehicle to make sure the title is not already registered somewhere.
I think that this one is very interesting. If I had the garage space . . .

http://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/195...&bodytype=ALL&
Old 07-04-2014, 02:56 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default You're right!

I really thought my search was over when I saw that ad a few weeks ago. I called the NY dealership and found out the car is still in Fresno, California.

The sale went sideways when I asked for a photo of the VIN plate. It didn't have one. They could only sell that car with a CA state-issued VIN. That's a deal-killer for me.

I believe the crusty frame under that car is the original. I'll bet it still has the original VIN stamp visible on it. If the car had been offered with a CA title based on the frame VIN stamping, I'd probably have made the purchase as-is.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I really thought my search was over when I saw that ad a few weeks ago. I called the NY dealership and found out the car is still in Fresno, California.

The sale went sideways when I asked for a photo of the VIN plate. It didn't have one. They could only sell that car with a CA state-issued VIN. That's a deal-killer for me.

I believe the crusty frame under that car is the original. I'll bet it still has the original VIN stamp visible on it. If the car had been offered with a CA title based on the frame VIN stamping, I'd probably have made the purchase as-is.
Wow. That's a tad pricey for no VIN, isn't it?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:12 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Hard for me to say.

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Wow. That's a tad pricey for no VIN, isn't it?
I could forgive a lost or stolen body VIN plate on a '53 - '59 Corvette if the frame still had the original VIN stamp and the owner had a clear title bearing the same VIN. Otherwise, there could be another Corvette out there wearing the missing VIN plate and a having a title to match it. The last thing I want to buy into is a court battle over a car title.

As far as the N.Y./Fresno '57, I haven't seen the current title or most recent bill of sale. I don't know the original VIN of that particular Corvette. All the selling dealer would tell me is that the "best they could do" is give me a CA-issued VIN plate with a "matching CA title" if I bought the car.

It could be that the frame is original and the VIN stamp can still be read. If so, I'd consider buying that '57 if the dealer had a CA title bearing the original VIN found on the frame. Of course, I'd first check to make sure there isn't already a '57 running around with the missing VIN plate and a matching title!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:36 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I could forgive a lost or stolen body VIN plate on a '53 - '59 Corvette if the frame still had the original VIN stamp and the owner had a clear title bearing the same VIN. Otherwise, there could be another Corvette out there wearing the missing VIN plate and a having a title to match it. The last thing I want to buy into is a court battle over a car title.

As far as the N.Y./Fresno '57, I haven't seen the current title or most recent bill of sale. I don't know the original VIN of that particular Corvette. All the selling dealer would tell me is that the "best they could do" is give me a CA-issued VIN plate with a "matching CA title" if I bought the car.

It could be that the frame is original and the VIN stamp can still be read. If so, I'd consider buying that '57 if the dealer had a CA title bearing the original VIN found on the frame. Of course, I'd first check to make sure there isn't already a '57 running around with the missing VIN plate and a matching title!
Jerry;

How would you know if there was or was not another car running around with the same VIN.

NMVTIS will only tell you something if that VIN has had a "title related transaction" (sale, total loss, title branding, etc.) since 2010.

If all that has happened to the car since before 2010 is annual registration, that info will not get reported to NMVTIS.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:11 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by emccomas
Jerry;

How would you know if there was or was not another car running around with the same VIN.

NMVTIS will only tell you something if that VIN has had a "title related transaction" (sale, total loss, title branding, etc.) since 2010.

If all that has happened to the car since before 2010 is annual registration, that info will not get reported to NMVTIS.
I'm counting on the Alabama DMV to tell me. The Mobile Police can only verify that a VIN is or isn't reported stolen. They told me to go to the DMV to find out if a VIN is registered in another state. I'm going to try that next week. I'm not familiar with the NMVTIS.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm counting on the Alabama DMV to tell me. The Mobile Police can only verify that a VIN is or isn't reported stolen. They told me to go to the DMV to find out if a VIN is registered in another state. I'm going to try that next week. I'm not familiar with the NMVTIS.
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System. A national database created by the Department of Justice to prevent things like washing titles, duplicating titles, etc.

I am not sure that AL DMV will tell you all that you need to know.

The issue of 1953 029 only came about because the State of Indiana was reporting their title info to the NMVTIS. So, when the FL car showed up, this VIN was already listed in the system.

The problem is that while all states were required to start reporting by Jan of 2010, they were not required to submit all of the info in their system prior to Jan of 2010.

So, bottom line is that if the VIN shows up as being registered, that is confirmation that it is in use. If it doesn't show up, that is NOT confirmation that it is NOT is use.

An old project car, sitting in a barn for the past 20 years, with a 20 year old title (or DMV registration) may not show up in the system, but could still be perfectly valid.

The safe bet is to get a car that has a VIN tag AND clear paperwork.

Good luck on your search.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:43 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

National Motor Vehicle Title Information System. A national database created by the Department of Justice to prevent things like washing titles, duplicating titles, etc.

I am not sure that AL DMV will tell you all that you need to know.

The issue of 1953 029 only came about because the State of Indiana was reporting their title info to the NMVTIS. So, when the FL car showed up, this VIN was already listed in the system.

The problem is that while all states were required to start reporting by Jan of 2010, they were not required to submit all of the info in their system prior to Jan of 2010.

So, bottom line is that if the VIN shows up as being registered, that is confirmation that it is in use. If it doesn't show up, that is NOT confirmation that it is NOT is use.

An old project car, sitting in a barn for the past 20 years, with a 20 year old title (or DMV registration) may not show up in the system, but could still be perfectly valid.

The safe bet is to get a car that has a VIN tag AND clear paperwork.

Good luck on your search.

PS: I am aware of two 1957 Corvettes, in two different states, both with the same VIN. One of these cars has the original VIN tag; one has the original frame. The car with the original frame has a repo VIN tag. The owner was able to get a repo VIN tag because the owner had paperwork indicating that he was the owner of the car.

Neither car, as far as I know, has had any title related work done since Jan of 2010. Prior to 2010, this information was not shared from state to state.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:49 AM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks.

I really appreciate your explanation.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is one:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...tte/1001171137
Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks.

I just paid a deposit on a '57 in Florida that I'm going to pick up next week. I sure appreciate all the helpful tips I received from Forum members during the last three weeks.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I just paid a deposit on a '57 in Florida that I'm going to pick up next week. I sure appreciate all the helpful tips I received from Forum members during the last three weeks.
Congrats Jerry. Enjoy.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:01 PM
denneys69
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Jerry, One just hit on E Bay. Phone Dave @ 607-857-6467.
Good luck, Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To WANTED: '56 - '57 Corvette project

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WANTED: '56 - '57 Corvette project