Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

1965 roadster big block wanted 396

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 PM
rustnever sleeps
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 roadster big block wanted 396

Hi there everyone, new to this forum posting but have been a lurker for along time. Many thanks to the people who have posted threads who I will never contact but have read and gleaned many useful hints from this column.
I have trawled the internet and uncovered fakes, unscrupulous people and obviously cars with questionable history.
I am looking for an original, unmolested 396 Big block roadster, manual.
I dont care where it is, US or Canada etc who has got one that they are considering parting with. Coming from New Zealand we dont have a huge selection so happy to jump on a plane and touch. I dont do Ebay who can help???
Old 04-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Chuck Pelton
Drifting

Originally Posted by rustnever sleeps
Hi there everyone, new to this forum posting but have been a lurker for along time. Many thanks to the people who have posted threads who I will never contact but have read and gleaned many useful hints from this column.
I have trawled the internet and uncovered fakes, unscrupulous people and obviously cars with questionable history.
I dont care where it is, US or Canada etc who has got one that they are considering parting with. Coming from New Zealand we dont have a huge selection so happy to jump on a plane and touch. I dont do Ebay who can help???
This might work for you. Please send me a private message if you have any questions.

http://www.sleemansclassiccars.com/1965_Corvette.html
Old 04-04-2014, 08:25 PM
redsplitwindow
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 65

Go to carsonline.com there's a couple 65 396/425hp convertibles
Dave
Old 04-04-2014, 08:54 PM
rustnever sleeps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redsplitwindow
Go to carsonline.com there's a couple 65 396/425hp convertibles
Dave
Hey Dave, Thanks, there are more than a few to look at. I have opened a bunch of them up and will look at them now. Thats a very nice 66 you have by the way.Only a year out from what I am looking for, maybe you need room, better send it to New Zealand quick!
Thanks for replying to my thread. I have no idea how many different car sites you have in the US and which ones to look at etc. I was hoping I could come to some private deal where I am not competing with with 50 people hence Ebay is not me.
Bruce
Old 04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Good luck on your search! When you decide on a car, it would be wise to hire an expert to inspect the car for you to make sure that everything is what it is supposed to be.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:44 PM
rustnever sleeps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SBR
Good luck on your search! When you decide on a car, it would be wise to hire an expert to inspect the car for you to make sure that everything is what it is supposed to be.
Thats the intention!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:24 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Greetings

Rust, Greetings and welcome to the Forum. This is one of the best places to look for a Corvette. I have seen a few L78's pass through this forum. As you have seen from following the Forum there is a wealth of knowledge here.
My advice is(and that is all it is) First of all be patient. The right car will come along. The L78 is a rare car and there are many more on the road today than originally produced.
I am willing to bet that within the next 5-6 months a L78 will come along that someone here on the forum is selling or someone has found one. I also think that there is a forum member near where you will find a car that would be happy to look it over for you. I would. I love to look at C2's. Perhaps next time I travel "down under" I could stop by!!!
Again welcome, and good luck in the hunt.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:19 PM
rustnever sleeps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
Rust, Greetings and welcome to the Forum. This is one of the best places to look for a Corvette. I have seen a few L78's pass through this forum. As you have seen from following the Forum there is a wealth of knowledge here.
My advice is(and that is all it is) First of all be patient. The right car will come along. The L78 is a rare car and there are many more on the road today than originally produced.
I am willing to bet that within the next 5-6 months a L78 will come along that someone here on the forum is selling or someone has found one. I also think that there is a forum member near where you will find a car that would be happy to look it over for you. I would. I love to look at C2's. Perhaps next time I travel "down under" I could stop by!!!
Again welcome, and good luck in the hunt.
Thanks for the advice, All pretty straight forwarded. I cant believe how these have escalated in price but am getting all my ducks lined up in a row. I have found a few restamped and non authentic cars but it seems everyone is aware this happens but I suspect plenty of people get suckered in!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 PM
rustnever sleeps
Intermediate

Still looking. Anyone have an idea what I should pay someone if they find one for me. Ie a finders fee?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Still looking. Anyone have an idea what I should pay someone if they find one for me. Ie a finders fee?
Rust,

In the internet age, I'm not thinking that any one needs a finder's fee - it's not likely that anyone here would find but very few cars NOT available on line.

An appraiser's and/or inspector's fee is another thing altogether. NO way would I ship a car to Kiwi land unseen by me or other than a very knowledgeable person.

Good Luck finding your dream car. It took me over 6 months, and I am in the middle of the U.S. Eastern seaboard.

I cannot image that there are many C2s in NZ, are there?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 PM
rustnever sleeps
Intermediate

Its all food for thought! I actually dont know how many C2's there are here in New Zealand. I am going to take a guess maybe 25-30 at most. Mention the word BigBlock and I reckon you have single figures.
I had a chap offer me his services to appraise an unyet seen vehicle and he quoted at his normal hourly rate which I think was $70 per hour+travelling allowance ie if he was in the car for 4 hours thats $70x4 plus your IRS petrol rate whatever that is per mile.
I have had others quote $500 blanket fee.
One apprehension I have is "if" I found a Bigblock sitting in a garage and sent someone over to look at it, I have a better than even chance of them buying it and backdooring me. I have had that happen on a house years ago that i was keen on.!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 PM
FASTZ
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its all food for thought! I actually dont know how many C2's there are here in New Zealand. I am going to take a guess maybe 25-30 at most. Mention the word BigBlock and I reckon you have single figures.
I had a chap offer me his services to appraise an unyet seen vehicle and he quoted at his normal hourly rate which I think was $70 per hour+travelling allowance ie if he was in the car for 4 hours thats $70x4 plus your IRS petrol rate whatever that is per mile.
I have had others quote $500 blanket fee.
One apprehension I have is "if" I found a Bigblock sitting in a garage and sent someone over to look at it, I have a better than even chance of them buying it and backdooring me. I have had that happen on a house years ago that i was keen on.!!!!!!
If he is back to feeling up to it forum member Provette67 is the guy that you need to help you. He really knows these cars especially the '65 396 cars. Having restored a few and owned a super low mile unrestored '65 big block. He is also more than fair to deal with and someone that you can trust. He also knows corvette owners everywhere.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:18 AM
rustnever sleeps
Intermediate

Default re 1965 Corvette wanted

Originally Posted by FASTZ
If he is back to feeling up to it forum member Provette67 is the guy that you need to help you. He really knows these cars especially the '65 396 cars. Having restored a few and owned a super low mile unrestored '65 big block. He is also more than fair to deal with and someone that you can trust. He also knows corvette owners everywhere.
Hi thanks for the reply to my forum thread.
I have sent Provette67 an email with luck.
An another thanks for all the advice from other members and a special thanks to the people that made the time to set up this column/website. Dont know who you are but you all deserve to be thanked!
Cheers Bruce
Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 AM
1974purchase
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the link below is from the garage section under photos in the menu bar above. selecting "for sale" and indicating the year 1965 shows there is a 396 for sale. you could send the member a message and find out more about it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/gara...TESTADURO.html
Old 04-08-2014, 04:38 PM
rustnever sleeps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1974purchase
the link below is from the garage section under photos in the menu bar above. selecting "for sale" and indicating the year 1965 shows there is a 396 for sale. you could send the member a message and find out more about it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/gara...TESTADURO.html
I have sent him a message. Link doesnt work it seems, maybe vehicle sold? I am not sure but have contacted him anyway!
Thanks for making the effort to answer my thread by the way!
Regards Bruce
Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Blue 396
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you have not done so join NCRS - they offer a bi-monthy publication "Driveline" with ads by members only - you can also learn a lot off their forum . there are usually one or two 396 cars for sale many of which may not be on web sites or dealers also the 396/425 L78 was only offered with a 4-speed - so an automatic would not be the real deal
Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 PM
rustnever sleeps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blue 396
if you have not done so join NCRS - they offer a bi-monthy publication "Driveline" with ads by members only - you can also learn a lot off their forum . there are usually one or two 396 cars for sale many of which may not be on web sites or dealers also the 396/425 L78 was only offered with a 4-speed - so an automatic would not be the real deal
Automatics are only for people with no legs!
Thanks for the reply and thanks for something that no one has mentioned before or I had thought of!
Cheers Bruce
Old 04-12-2014, 04:03 PM
rustnever sleeps
Intermediate

Default 396 1965 Bigblock wanted

Still looking people but thanks for the leads so for!

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 roadster big block wanted 396

Quick Reply: 1965 roadster big block wanted 396