Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

SPAM / SCAMMER on Ebay - 1954 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:50 PM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C1 of Year Finalist
Default SPAM / SCAMMER on Ebay - 1954 Corvette

FYI... This guy is trying to get someone to buy this but is demanding Google Wallet and over explaining his story in an email and text communication with him. SUSPECTED FRAUD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Roadster-Chevrolet-Corvette-/331115263412?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d1801f5b4&item=331115263412&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
DO NOT BUY!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 AM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNVettGuy
FYI... This guy is trying to get someone to buy this but is demanding Google Wallet and over explaining his story in an email and text communication with him. SUSPECTED FRAUD

Chevrolet Corvette Roadster | eBay

DO NOT BUY!
I am not saying it's not a scam, but I am wondering why you feel it is? Isn't he offering potential buyers a test drive and inspection?

Last edited by ktchir; 01-29-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 AM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Hi Ktchir

I have asked numerous times for the VIN and other info. Here was his lastest response:

Matt,
First payment will be $4,900. I will do my best to walk you through the process. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Lincoln, NE for a new start. The Corvette is in my possession, ready to be delivered to its future new owner. The deal is handled by Google Wallet so I don't have much to do about it. With Google Wallet, you get free delivery, at your place in 4 to 5 days. In addition, you get 5 days to try it out before buying it, and if you don't like it, you can send it back at my expense. I want to make it very clear, that Google Wallet will hold your money, and I won't be receiving a single dollar unless you call and tell them to release the money to me. For more info on how it works, I can ask Google Wallet to send you an email with more details on how to buy it. They will contact you shortly, as soon as have your personal details. This way you also get proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from Google Wallet with all the transaction information, please reply with your whole name, address and phone # and they will contact you right away.
Thank you,
Antonio Baker

I have seen a lot of scammers out there and this is exactly how they start. They ask for Google Wallet or MoneyGram and try to over-prove how safe he is.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 AM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Anyone offering to take your money and free shipping so you can't test out is a scam. He states that in his listing but will not give me any info on test driving and VIN. Keeps responding with 'what the process is'.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:56 AM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ktchir

I have asked numerous times for the VIN and other info. Here was his lastest response:

Matt,
First payment will be $4,900. I will do my best to walk you through the process. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Lincoln, NE for a new start. The Corvette is in my possession, ready to be delivered to its future new owner. The deal is handled by Google Wallet so I don't have much to do about it. With Google Wallet, you get free delivery, at your place in 4 to 5 days. In addition, you get 5 days to try it out before buying it, and if you don't like it, you can send it back at my expense. I want to make it very clear, that Google Wallet will hold your money, and I won't be receiving a single dollar unless you call and tell them to release the money to me. For more info on how it works, I can ask Google Wallet to send you an email with more details on how to buy it. They will contact you shortly, as soon as have your personal details. This way you also get proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from Google Wallet with all the transaction information, please reply with your whole name, address and phone # and they will contact you right away.
Thank you,
Antonio Baker

I have seen a lot of scammers out there and this is exactly how they start. They ask for Google Wallet or MoneyGram and try to over-prove how safe he is.
I agree it looks suspicious, perhaps someone near the vehicle could check it out before its labeled as a a scam,,,just sayin'....
Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 PM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ktchir
I agree it looks suspicious, perhaps someone near the vehicle could check it out before its labeled as a a scam,,,just sayin'....
I have tried. I told him I would fly out to look at and he kept saying 'the process is for you to pay me $4900 and then Google Wallet will let me know the location'. It is a scam.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 PM
54-4-9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI, this car is discussed on the NCRS board as a scam. It is owned by an NCRS member and it is not for sale. The s***bag who is listing it on ebay hi jacked photos of the car.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 PM
jbar1
Advanced

If that is the case and it is a known scam by NCRS members, I would think that the owner would personally contact eBay and inform them of the scam so someone else doesn't get burned.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:06 PM
54-4-9
Advanced

I am not familiar with how ebay works but the owner of the car in addition to numerous NCRS members have contacted ebay and let them know........ But the car is still listed. Perhaps someone more familiar with ebay can elaborate ? I'm just passing along info hoping nobody gets scammed.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:29 PM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 54-4-9
I am not familiar with how ebay works but the owner of the car in addition to numerous NCRS members have contacted ebay and let them know........ But the car is still listed. Perhaps someone more familiar with ebay can elaborate ? I'm just passing along info hoping nobody gets scammed.
I too have reached out to ebay. Who knows. You would think they would want to protect their ebays buyers protection. In fact I don't know if their buyers protection protects buyers from no rating sellers.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Just tell the YoYo that you only pay CASH upon inspecting and driving the car. RUN FOREST RUN and save your $$$$$
Old 01-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

No one lets you test a car for 3-days . If someone gets stung by this guy they deserve it. TNvetteguy you were right on the money. You dont have to hold your hand over a candle flame to know its hot.

ITS A SCAM
Old 01-29-2014, 07:16 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Buyer protection

Be warned... there is no such thing as "buyer protection" for a car this old. Ebay will not help. They are just a broker, you are on your own with cars over 10 years old. Even when provided with proof of fraud, ebay will not get involved. You are on your own. I have been there.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:04 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

My '57 fuelie has popped up on ebay at least 4 times in the last 3 years. I informed ebay and they were pretty quick in taking it down.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 AM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 712 Likes on 369 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
No one lets you test a car for 3-days . If someone gets stung by this guy they deserve it. TNvetteguy you were right on the money. You dont have to hold your hand over a candle flame to know its hot.

ITS A SCAM
I have seen these adds all over and the same response. Ship the car to you for inspection.

SCAM SCAM SCAM
Old 03-15-2014, 06:07 PM
The_pakettle
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My personal policy.

Whenever I sell anything on E-Bay or other internet services, I only accept Russian cashiers checks or personal checks from out of state.
The scammers have tried to buy some of my power tools using that line about sending someone to pick up the tool and they give me a check for over the amount and I give them cash back.
My experience has been much the same as others here, as soon as I tell them that I want cash in hand, they go away.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Hoggg
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live by Lincoln, NE. Let me go visit the P#@!k!!!!!!!!!!

Hogg
Old 03-27-2014, 03:10 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Old 03-28-2014, 10:31 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Ktchir

Matt,
First payment will be $4,900. I will do my best to walk you through the process. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Lincoln, NE for a new start. The Corvette is in my possession, ready to be delivered to its future new owner.
What does the Corvette, and in my possession mean?

This is the funny part; the guy states the Corvette is in his possession, but not specifically which Corvette. These guys think their lawyer-speak makes them not criminals due to lack of details, making nothing they say criminal, nor taking money for a sale of something they don't own as commission for the possible dealer transaction if they can convince the real owner to sell to them and then hand over to the buyer. This is sociopathic behavior.

Get notified of new replies

To SPAM / SCAMMER on Ebay - 1954 Corvette

Quick Reply: SPAM / SCAMMER on Ebay - 1954 Corvette