Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

FS red 1954, Top Flight

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Default FS red 1954, Top Flight

This is chapter 2 in my attempt to thin the herd. The 54 is an older Top Flight that has been completely restored and needs nothing. It is # 2738 meaning it is a flipper car, has bullet air cleaners, and long exhaust extensions. Starts, runs and drives super. Has wide white radials as well as set of correct repo tires on original wheels. Chrome is excellent, paint has a couple of chips showing that it is a real road car, not just a pretty face. Side curtains look as new. Perhaps most impressive is the Powerglide that does not leak fluid like every other one I have had. $72.5. wemillis@gmail.com, 207-465-7038. Bill
Attached Images     
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Did you put the seat belts in before or after it took Top Flight? I have owned 3 of the 54 Corvettes myself and seen a lot of them and never seen one get Top Flight NCRS with seat belts in it. Good safty thing to ad to your outstanding looking 54 Vette. Good luck in selling it.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

After. It took TF before I got it and I'm just not comfortable without seat belts. It is probably just an illusion of increased safety but it makes me feel better.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:47 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That is an awesome car for the price. You shouldn't have any problem selling.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

That's what I thought but I still have it. I describe these early cars, especially 53-54's, as the Model A's of the Corvette world. They are fine at their speed (55 mph) but there is certainly a limited market for them. I think that this red 54 is really special but I admit that I'm biased. Thanks for the compliment. Bill
Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Bill... beautiful red '54 GLWTS.

Bruce
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking for a nice 54 driver, but you are $25K above my max price (as set by my wife). I know I will never be able to afford one as nice as yours, but I can still dream!

Anyway what does this mean: "It is # 2738 meaning it is a flipper car"?

Good luck with the sale, it is a gorgeous car!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MaineDoc
That's what I thought but I still have it. I describe these early cars, especially 53-54's, as the Model A's of the Corvette world. They are fine at their speed (55 mph) but there is certainly a limited market for them. I think that this red 54 is really special but I admit that I'm biased. Thanks for the compliment. Bill
Bill... how long have you owned this '54?

Bruce
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gr8corvette
I am looking for a nice 54 driver, but you are $25K above my max price (as set by my wife). I know I will never be able to afford one as nice as yours, but I can still dream!

Anyway what does this mean: "It is # 2738 meaning it is a flipper car"?

Good luck with the sale, it is a gorgeous car!
Sorry, that's a secret code. Seriously, it means that the Vin # is 2738 and that it has a "flipper" in the stainless trim to allow the top to raise up. On the driver's side this is around your left shoulder. Later cars had a different top style and did not have this. Many running changes in these early cars. Your budget limit should get you into one of these cars but beware that many parts are unbelievably expensive. Good luck in your search. Bill
Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StingU2
Bill... how long have you owned this '54?

Bruce
Three years which is about par for me. I have had my 56 BelAir for 19 years, the longest that I have owned any car. I know that there are guys who are worse than I am, but my 2008 is my 25th Corvette.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM
StingU2
Safety Car

Three years which is about par for me. I have had my 56 BelAir for 19 years, the longest that I have owned any car. I know that there are guys who are worse than I am, but my 2008 is my 25th Corvette.
Thanks Doc... I'll pass the info on to a friend.

Bruce
Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Did you put the seat belts in before or after it took Top Flight? I have owned 3 of the 54 Corvettes myself and seen a lot of them and never seen one get Top Flight NCRS with seat belts in it. Good safty thing to ad to your outstanding looking 54 Vette. Good luck in selling it.
NCRS does not deduct points for seat belts so why should it matter?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I agree. It really doesn't make any difference to me about points any more. I just feel better with a seat belt. In reality the results of any crash in these old things would not be pretty. As a psychologist I understand that it's a case of denial, but it makes me feel happy and content when driving around. By the way, isn't it about time for someone to buy this from me so I can move on to the next one?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Randy it don't matter to me. I know that they deduct points for all kinds of things and they want everything to be as it was the day the car came off the production like new. Me personally I would not let an NCRS judge come and judge my cars. Most (not all) think they know it all and really don't know what they are looking at any way. Look at there judging book they use. Heck they change it all the time, so that tells me they are not sure what they are looking at. This looks to be an outstanding 54 Red Corvette (1 of 100 built) and I hope nothing but the best for the seller and hopefully the new person who buys it. These 53 to 55 Corvettes are the real history of Corvette and they are easy to work on. A lot eaiser then the newer ones. Good luck with selling your 54 Vette. TTT for a very nice car.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Randy it don't matter to me. I know that they deduct points for all kinds of things and they want everything to be as it was the day the car came off the production like new. Me personally I would not let an NCRS judge come and judge my cars. Most (not all) think they know it all and really don't know what they are looking at any way. Look at there judging book they use. Heck they change it all the time, so that tells me they are not sure what they are looking at. This looks to be an outstanding 54 Red Corvette (1 of 100 built) and I hope nothing but the best for the seller and hopefully the new person who buys it. These 53 to 55 Corvettes are the real history of Corvette and they are easy to work on. A lot eaiser then the newer ones. Good luck with selling your 54 Vette. TTT for a very nice car.
Thanks for the kind words Mike. I'll buy you a beer next August at Carlisle instead of getting one from you.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the kind words Mike. I'll buy you a beer next August at Carlisle instead of getting one from you.
Just telling the truth Bill. That is one fine looking 54 Vette and being one of 100 built in Sportsman Red you have a jem there. It will sell, it may take a little time but it will sell. I think sales are down right now till after tax time about mid April. Just don't get in a hurry. It will sell. Good Luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Bill, not much on Beer but we can share some Jack or Jim or Crown. Ha Ha Ha.

Get notified of new replies

To FS red 1954, Top Flight

Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Very nice car indeed. You'll miss it if you sell it. If you get a chance you can check out my Pennant Blue '54 on the C1 Corvette Registry. It's VIN #4400.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm shocked this car is still for sale. Have you advertised outside the CF?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:07 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SpartyGW
I'm shocked this car is still for sale. Have you advertised outside the CF?
Not yet. My problem is that I head out in my RV 3/2/13 for 6-7 weeks and I didn't want an ad in Hemmings, etc. to come out when I'm away. I will try to get it to appear in HMN, NCRS Driveline for when I am back in Maine. The good part is that if it doesn't sell I get to drive it more.

Quick Reply: FS red 1954, Top Flight