Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1s & C2s for Sale/Wanted
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1s & C2s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
denali
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to denali
Default 65 Big Block

I have received several e-mails stating that they wanted to play along with the game. I suppose some think I'm just some kid playing on the computer. All statements about the care are the truth. One owner,non smoker with 56.000 original miles. I'm sure she has the original sales receipt along with all documation that came with the car. I've known the deceased owner since the mid sixtes. She has the original knock-off wheels along with the original side exhaust somewhere.
When I go to pick up the 99 this week I'll take some more pics.

[URL=""]

Last edited by denali; 04-27-2006 at 09:14 PM.
denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
68435roadster

E message sent. G.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
dennis sellards
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denali
I have received several e-mails stating that they wanted to play along with the game. I suppose some think I'm just some kid playing on the computer. All statements about the care are the truth. One owner,non smoker with 54.000 original miles. I'm sure she has the original sales receipt along with all documation that came with the car. I've known the deceased owner since the mid sixtes. She has the original knock-off wheels along with the original side exhaust somewhere.
When I go to pick up the 99 this week I'll take some more pics.

[URL=""]
What is a car like that worth?I notice that it has flaired fender wells in the front,are they flaired in the rear also.It is painted a non-factory color what color was it originally?How is the frame,interior and engine?How much $$$
dennis sellards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to BADBIRDCAGE

Pretty Car. Wish I had the money and the space for it.
Nice two top roadster, mild flares, front end cleanly nosed. I like it. For me, she can keep the KO wheels. I might be weird but I never caught the knock off fever. Good luck with the sale. Someone is going to get a really nice car.

Rich
BADBIRDCAGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
denali
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis sellards
What is a car like that worth?I notice that it has flaired fender wells in the front,are they flaired in the rear also.It is painted a non-factory color what color was it originally?How is the frame,interior and engine?How much $$$
Yes the car has both front and rear flairs. It was orignally Nassau Blue. It was painted the gold color that If my memory is correct is a Cadillac color.The interior is in very good shape. The carpet is not original. It has the teak wood wheel.
It has spent most of it's life in a garage. Not sure about the frame but we do not use salt on the roads in the south. So I would say that it is in good shape. The engine has not been started in several years.As far as how much $$$. I don't know yet. Or maybe someone could tell me a ball park value. I will post more pics in a couple of days of the interior and engine and if she is interested in selling it.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
denali
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Nice two top roadster, mild flares, front end cleanly nosed. I like it. For me, she can keep the KO wheels. I might be weird but I never caught the knock off fever. Good luck with the sale. Someone is going to get a really nice car.

Rich

Yea I never really liked the KO's either. The wheels on it now are IMOP better looking.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
dennis sellards
CF Senior Member

I am just guessing here but $50K ballpark
dennis sellards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
Sky65
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'09
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE

Rich
Same here.
I hope she gets what it is worth and it doesn't end up in some "curbstoner's" hands.

Good luck.
Sky65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:59 PM   #9
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. NJ.
Plastic Pig duntov097

Probably be sold to a resto-weenie that will take the flares off, paint it an original color, read his judging manual, and make it identical to every other restored Vette, rather than retaining the patina and style of a nice custom Vette.
Plastic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:44 AM   #10
Procrastination Racing
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis sellards
I am just guessing here but $50K ballpark
Big ballpark. The paint and the flares are killers. This is a project, due to sitting. This is a '60s/'70s custom and as such, won't command the price that you are seeing via B-J, Mecum, etc. or anywhere close.

With no more info than we have, we don't even know what the engine is. Range $25,000 to $40,000 based on what you have given.

That said, I would be tempted to take it as is, clean it, do a mechanical clean up and fix up on it as needed, and enjoy a piece of yesterday. I won't say "piece of history" as odds are it was done in someone's garage or by the local Corvette shop 30 years ago and not by some famous car guy.
Procrastination Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #11
denali
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
Big ballpark. The paint and the flares are killers. This is a project, due to sitting. This is a '60s/'70s custom and as such, won't command the price that you are seeing via B-J, Mecum, etc. or anywhere close.

With no more info than we have, we don't even know what the engine is. Range $25,000 to $40,000 based on what you have given.

That said, I would be tempted to take it as is, clean it, do a mechanical clean up and fix up on it as needed, and enjoy a piece of yesterday. I won't say "piece of history" as odds are it was done in someone's garage or by the local Corvette shop 30 years ago and not by some famous car guy.
Check the thread. 65 Big Block
Old 04-19-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
provette67
CF Senior Member

Quote:
thread not working
provette67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #13
denali
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by provette67
thread not working

It works for me. What did the thread say when you clicked on it?

Last edited by denali; 04-19-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
provette67
CF Senior Member

nothing,it would not do anything
provette67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #15
denali
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by provette67
nothing,it would not do anything

So when you go to the C1s & C2s for sale/wanted section, you don't see 65 Big Block? What thread did you click on then???

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1367064

Last edited by denali; 04-19-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #16
Procrastination Racing
CF Senior Member

Quote:
If I had a dollar for every car someone called a car a big block, and wasn't, I could buy a late C3.

You should read some eBay ads, where they talk about those '78s and '79s and even C4s with "that big block engine muscle". Of course, the pictures show a Mouse in there, not a Rat.

And if it really is a big block, which one? Do you have any idea how many 396s were installed in Sting Rays back in the '60s and early '70s?

All I see is a old dusty gold-painted '65 convertible with a big block hood and flared fenders. There needs to be more info than that to make any value statement.
Procrastination Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #17
shooter1951
CF Senior Member

Nice looking. What are the details? Is it for sale? What price range? Does it have the big block in it, 4 speed? Any other modifications besides the flares? Thanks for the info. Shooter dshoot@shelbywb.coop
shooter1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #18
denali
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
If I had a dollar for every car someone called a car a big block, and wasn't, I could buy a late C3.

You should read some eBay ads, where they talk about those '78s and '79s and even C4s with "that big block engine muscle". Of course, the pictures show a Mouse in there, not a Rat.

And if it really is a big block, which one? Do you have any idea how many 396s were installed in Sting Rays back in the '60s and early '70s?

All I see is a old dusty gold-painted '65 convertible with a big block hood and flared fenders. There needs to be more info than that to make any value statement.

Yea and if I had a dollar for every silly e-mail and goofy post to this thread that I have read. I would be dollars ahead.
Surely someone of your supposed knowledge and expertise whould know that in 65 they only produced 2,157 Big Blocks, You do know thats the first year they were installed don't you? And I'm sure you would be tempted to take it as is
So if the odds are that it was done in someone else's garage or local Corvette shop then it's just a piece of worthless glass. But if it had been proffesionally done in say some race shop in Ocala,Fl. Then and only then would it be a piece of history?
I'm raising the flag for you. Have a nice day.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #19
Mark_Milner
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Yea and if I had a dollar for every silly e-mail and goofy post to this thread that I have read. I would be dollars ahead.
Surely someone of your supposed knowledge and expertise whould know that in 65 they only produced 2,157 Big Blocks, You do know thats the first year they were installed don't you? And I'm sure you would be tempted to take it as is
So if the odds are that it was done in someone else's garage or local Corvette shop then it's just a piece of worthless glass. But if it had been proffesionally done in say some race shop in Ocala,Fl. Then and only then would it be a piece of history?
I'm raising the flag for you. Have a nice day.
Posting several hundred messages don't make you an expert either. Your comment above shows your intelligence.

If you read his note, he said how many 396s were put in Sting Rays, he didn't ask how many '65s came from the factory with a 396.

During the "good ol' days", people swapped engines whenever. So 396s out of Chevy wagons and whatever went into any Corvette out there. I have seen '63s with 396s, 427s, and 454s. So are you going to be some smart "expert" and tell me that since they didn't make them, I couldn't have seen them? How many on this forum have 383s in their Corvettes? Now "expert", tell me when Chevy put a Chrysler motor in their Corvette, since the only car manufacturer to make a 383 was Chrysler.

This car with the modifications we can see gives no real reason to expect the rest of the car to be original. The front flare is typical of an Eckler's front end, as indicated by the half inch wide vertical edge of the flare. Homemade flares were typically thin, being simply a thick lip of fiberglass. The rear is hard to see in the picture, but appears it may be that way.

I don't think he was implying that at all on the body modifications. You are defensive, aren't you? I think he meant being homemade vs the famed custom shops of the time, like Barris, Dean Jeffries, and so on or the performance shops like Nickey, Baldwin-Motion, and so on.

You ask people's opinions, you give very little information about the car, and yet you expect the answers to be detailed and to what you want to hear.

Ok, you have an extremely rare Corvette. Being gold, it was obviously done for a Chevrolet or GM executive, since using the Cadillac Gold paint was reserved exclusively for them. The flares were done as part of the Grand Sport Phase II experiment, held in total secrecy due to the AMA ban than cancelled the '63 GS.

I guess that this car is worth $250,013.46 to $375,005.49 and you will need to do a private non-advertised sale or you will have people lined up for a block to buy it.
Mark_Milner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:05 AM   #20
DZRick
CF Senior Member

Quote:

Surely someone of your supposed knowledge and expertise whould know that in 65 they only produced 2,157 Big Blocks, You do know thats the first year they were installed don't you?

And surely you know if it's an original bigblock it's the one year only 396 rated at 425hp. Any original big block in that kind of shape would be worth grabbing. IMHO
DZRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:05 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1s & C2s for Sale/Wanted
Reload this Page 65 Big Block

Tags
austin, brothers, canada, corvette, export, gary, gilmore, houston, naber, nabers, restoration, restorations, shop, tim, tx