Notices
C1 & C2 Parts C1 & C2 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket

'66 Original complete front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:55 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default '66 Original complete front end

At the advise of another helpful member I have listed this again as the front end noting that this is also posted as a "nose" which may be misleading. Compared to the price of a reproduction at $4600, even if you only need parts of it, my asking price is reasonable???

If anyone wants to pay me $4600 I will repair this nose as if it was brand new!

Default F/S Original '66 nose
This is the original nose removed from my project that still has the inner well, bonding strips and reinforcements attached. It has seen better days but still repairable and less than the $5+++.00 replacement I purchased. The worse areas are the outer front corners. I will post photos soon or can email them direct to anyone interested. Asking $1650 or reasonable offer. Nose is in Rhode Island and can deliver to Infinity Swap Meet in May.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:00 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Default Try this again

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/ch...?sort=2&page=1

Seems that some are having trouble viewing these photos so I added the link again. Hope it works because I tested it on my email and it opens without hesitation.

If you can't open the link and want pictures, please be specific of the areas you want to see closest.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Default Ttt

If you see a part you are interested in let me know. If shipping is the problem, I can cut this where you desire and make it easier to ship or just send the parts you want, once you or someone else pays for the rest of it. IE: someone wants wells and another wants the outer glass...bingo!
Old 06-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Argentimage
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sides look to be white glass, are those aftermarket or 65?

Also see what appear to be right front repairs - can you show those details in your pictures?

Location and condition still the same?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Argentimage
sides look to be white glass, are those aftermarket or 65?

Also see what appear to be right front repairs - can you show those details in your pictures?

Location and condition still the same?
I will add more photos today. From what I can see the sides are original as is most of the glass. This nose has repairs on both front corners from top to bottom. Possibly made by a regular body shop or back yard DYI guy years ago. I have had this car since 2004 and the guy before that had it since 1994 and the repairs were on it then. The white material seems to be bondo so I will get photos of the inside and post. No doubt this needs work and if I did not buy a reproduction years ago for big bucks I would spend the money for repro lower housings and fix it. For a driver this front end has purpose. Photos will post soon. Thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 10:41 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

actually posting the pics to your thread sometimes attracts more attention.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:16 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Thanks for posting the pics...it does make a difference. I'm a dummy at posting the pics.. I tried several times but need to read between the lines and figure it out...someday!

As far as the new pics.. I will work on getting them posted inside the forum rather than using the bucket.

I took more pics from the inside of the front corners. I see pop rivets, fiberglass weave, matt strands and resin all over the corner and on the front wheel well. I do not see the bonding strip. The replacement corners selling for just under $300 each for PM's would save a lot of work on the left and right lowers. I do have one side that I will list separately or offer to the buyer of this front end. The center valance looks untouched. If I was to rebuild this front piece I would start by removing the metal reinforcement, clean and paint it, chance the head light bracket screws and reattached it. The upper corners appear that they were removed and reattached but are workable.
Because I'm not sure how to post the pics, I will email them directly to anyone who needs to see them
Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure if I did the photos right so here goes! Depending on how crafty you are with fiberglas and the end use of this nose will make the difference of how much it will cost to reuse this. My original intent was to purchase repro lower front corners at around $600 and strip the old repairs off, but the whole new nose will save me time, I thought!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:40 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Default ttt and it's still here

OK, so I'm not all that good with IT junk and missed a lot of PM's and so sorry if you sent any of them.

This is the original front end and is still here but as a few of you asked, I'm not sure how to find out what plant it originally came from.

As some of you members responded it is surprising that is has not found a new home. It seems that it's not the price especially when the new replacement cost me $5K so in this case the size matters! The box that the replacement came in has since lost it's shape and tossed.

If pick up is not practice for you I can split the seams to make this smaller to ship on a pallet but can't promise how the the bonding strips will survive.

A larger pallet is an option but that leads to other issues like laying the clip down or standing it up. The replacement was shipped standing.

So, even though my PM's are not being forwarded to my correct email, I will try to pay more attention to responses and hope that sooner or later they will come to the correct email addy.

As a few have asked, I will part this out for the right price in case you only want a piece of it. So far the wheel houses seem to be the most popular but offers don't make it practical to split them apart.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Still here!
Old 12-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Argentimage
Pro

Default questions

question on the clip that is on the pass side fender cap, what was that for?

then, can you post picture of the area missing in this photo?
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2014, 11:44 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

I cannot tell if that clip is factory or not. I can't find it in the assembly manual. Maybe for a wire harness or maybe a previous owner added it?

Hope this helps.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Argentimage
Pro

I've seen that clip on a lot of pass side fenders, maybe all small blocks?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:19 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

I looked closer at that clip and see that it is riveted in place and nearly flush with the hood recess so I'll say it is factory. Who ever attempted to repair this car in the past was not into making it original and used pop rivets so seeing the solid style rivet holding the metal on was certainly not that person.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:56 AM
Argentimage
Pro

you have some detail pics but cant tell how bad the lamp panel and fender skirts are hit/ Damage at the front of the skirt sets up horrible rad support and hood fit issues

what year car was this off?
Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

This front end is off a 1966 Convertible and the original photo use to be in my profile so I guess I need to replace it.

When I first checked the car out with everything intact it did resemble a reasonable project. I did not see that the body was all that bad. I was going to repair the nose with aftermarket parts until the body shop I go to claimed I did not have the experience to do it so I bought a replacement front end. Now, after fighting with the replacement I wish I kept to my original plans but the money has been spent.

No doubt this needs a lot but for someone who either cannot flip the cost for a factory style replacement or someone who has the need for parts to repair a fresh hit this is original and not a reproduction so it can be a donor. As far as fitting the hood it will depend on who is doing the assembly. Hood fit is part of putting everything together the right way. The hood was on this car before the nose came off. I took the nose off because the bird cage was rotted under the cowl and the nose was in the way to fix it correctly.

The photos are untouched and what you see is the actual condition. Just as I did with the rest of the car, my original plans were to remove all the metal from this nose, clean it, paint it properly then reassemble. That is still the best way unless the next owner is not concerned. Surface appearance of the repairs is not pretty but the whole car was that way when I got it and as I worked on it I found no reason for a lot of the fiberglass that was applied. I think that someone was trying to customize this and gave up.

I can take better photos and give more detail of any particular areas that are not already covered in the posting.

Thanks for looking and your comments.

Last edited by ptwohey; 12-23-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:35 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

It's getting cold sitting in the garage!

Get notified of new replies

To '66 Original complete front end

Old 12-25-2014, 03:47 AM
Argentimage
Pro

winter that way sent a PM getting closer
Old 12-25-2014, 06:33 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Merry Christmas

No PM in my mail box
Old 05-16-2017, 06:03 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Default Almost a year has passed

I'm not dead yet but the family has lost a few keeping me busy and away from my classics.

I can't edit the unwanted stuff from this post and don't want to delete and start new hoping that interested people from the past might show interest again.

The '66 Front end fiberglass is still available. Even though several PM's wanted me to cut it up there was little financial gain in doing that.

I'm bringing it to a swap meet this weekend asking for $850 just in case you have the need.

To answer the question now, this is in ZIP code 02895 and shipping is not cheap!

Quick Reply: '66 Original complete front end