Notices
C1 & C2 Parts C1 & C2 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket

1965 327/375hp radiator cap

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 AM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

umm, the only thing that is backwards is your way of thinking. good luck to you too....
Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Better not add air to your tires.

If you don't have the correct PSI in each tire of 1965 air then it's not a survivor.
They test it to make sure it contains the right amount of second hand cigarette smoke, hydrocarbons, smog, cannibus residue and ozone.

Dude - buy your nice old, period correct radiator cap...take a miniscule judging 'hit' if needed and rock on.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There's a very well know and respected NCRS member who once told me that 'todays Top Flight and Bloomington Gold cars are tomorrows Bowtie and Survivors'.

Took me quite a few years to understand what he meant. Pretty smart guy.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
'todays Top Flight and Bloomington Gold cars are tomorrows Bowtie and Survivors'.
Took me quite a few years to understand what he meant
I don't understand what YOU are trying to say.

Are you saying today's restored cars will now age naturally , and in 2063 (fifty years) they will then earn a Survivor award?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:22 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I think it's great that people are putting OEM parts back on their vettes to show how they looked back then. But I think the argument here in this thread re: putting on someone else's parts on your car is defined as restoration, which in all dictionaries means to put back in original state. Preservation is maintaining originality that's there. You can't say take 2 centuries old books, take a few pages from one and glue into another and call that preserving a book. That's restoring it to its original state or condition.

I like both. It's nice to see these cars the way they came out of the factory using parts which were made that year, that month, that week.

definition of restore: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/restore
Old 02-10-2013, 02:23 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

However, Bloomington, NCRS, and the rest can call it whatever they want, since it's their business and contest.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I don't understand what YOU are trying to say.

Are you saying today's restored cars will now age naturally , and in 2063 (fifty years) they will then earn a Survivor award?
Essentially yes, but it won't (and hasn't) taken 50 years. I've only been in the hobby since 1990ish, it was nothing new then either. The OP's intention was probably not to deceive as trivial as the item is, but the concept of replacing a part simply to tart a car up for Survivor or Bowtie Judging is just sad.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Essentially yes, but it won't (and hasn't) taken 50 years. I've only been in the hobby since 1990ish, it was nothing new then either. The OP's intention was probably not to deceive as trivial as the item is, but the concept of replacing a part simply to tart a car up for Survivor or Bowtie Judging is just sad.
A few years ago, I saw a perfectly good replacement aftermarket exhaust pipe/muffler being replaced by a rusty original assembly in preparation for Survivor judging.

The owner is a world famous Corvette "expert"! Do you think his intention was to "maintain, restore or deceive"?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:45 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
I must say about cars that still have the factory paint have "patina" even if the paint is worn, have scratches and marks all over is a car that is in a desperate need of a respray in my mind.

....... why not use the new part that looks really good?
Because there are different strokes for different folks, that's why.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Where'd he go?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I did not go far away
I deleted my post but i can write it again What is said was cars that still have the factory paint have "patina" even if the paint is worn, have scratches and marks all over is a car that is in a desperate need of a respray in my mind.

When the engines was painted at the factory they came with overspray on the bell housing, exhaust manifolds.
If i was to paint the engine in my car i would never have the overspray of those parts because i think it was a sloppy job from GM at the factory.

Even the persons that like it all like the factory must agree that it looks better when the parts do not have the overspray.

I read about John Glens Corvette which have the original paint and is going to be kept like that because it was like that when John glen traded in the car. Why not give the car a new paint job so it looks like it did when John Glen first got the car?
I do not mind having my car all original but i would never hesitate to buy new repro parts that looks good and i would never paint any overspray

Well, this is just my personal opinion I am sure there is a lot of people that disagree with me but this is how like my car

Last edited by TheSaint; 02-10-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 PM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Hey Mike, this should put you into a real "spin". Not only did I replace a worn out incorrect rad. cap on my 65 Vette (it was in storage for over 30 years until recently with about 95% of it's original parts) with a correct and functional cap..... I just replaced the original dried out and cracked heater hoses with new correct ones. You see, at Bloomington, to get a "Survivor Award" you are required to run the car on a 50 mile road trip as part of the requirement.Old hoses and caps won't do it.. I guess I no longer have a car that would be considered a "Survivor" in your opinion. Lucky for me and for most everyone else in this hobby you aren't making the rules. Let the judges decide.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by moonframer
Hey Mike, this should put you into a real "spin". Not only did I replace a worn out incorrect rad. cap on my 65 Vette (it was in storage for over 30 years until recently with about 95% of it's original parts) with a correct and functional cap..... I just replaced the original dried out and cracked heater hoses with new correct ones. You see, at Bloomington, to get a "Survivor Award" you are required to run the car on a 50 mile road trip as part of the requirement.Old hoses and caps won't do it.. I guess I no longer have a car that would be considered a "Survivor" in your opinion. Lucky for me and for most everyone else in this hobby you aren't making the rules. Let the judges decide.
I can see you've not understood a word of what's been said, and not just said by myself. There is NO issue with replacing old, worn out parts.

The issue is replacing incorrect parts with correct parts solely to help with judging results. I've said that since my first post. I can't make it any more plain than that. Re-read MikeM's story about swapping mufflers. If you can't see what's wrong with that concept, maybe somebody else can explain it. I don't make the rules, but I at least understand them.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by moonframer
Thanks for your reply and info. Do you sell caps? Need one for my car that will be judged in survivor class at Bloomington....
The quote above seems to intend hiding from the judges the cap was missing, which would not affect your Survivor status. So why replace it with someone else's cap for judging purpose only?

I'm all for restoring these old cars using used OEM parts you rebuild for function and safety, and show the cars how they were (restore is defined as putting back in original state). But maybe consider not replacing the cap with another used cap to pass it off as born with. Maybe just put on a replacement cap that works. Not gonna affect you one way or another. And the new cap will perform better than the used one. And, the used one, if original and not rebuilt, will not last 50 miles.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 AM
moonframer
Burning Brakes

Uncle! You guys have a nice life. I'm done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This is nothing to argue about. We are all different.

Some like the car just like it was when it came from the factory with the overspray and other things the factory did

I just want my car how i like it and that does not include overspray

It would be boring if we all had the same taste when restoring the cars we own
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheSaint
This is nothing to argue about. We are all different.

Some like the car just like it was when it came from the factory with the overspray and other things the factory did

I just want my car how i like it and that does not include overspray

It would be boring if we all had the same taste when restoring the cars we own
You're talking about personal enjoyment. The argument is fairness of competition. When you present a car for judging, integrity is at hand, especially for the BG Survivor® class, which requires "unrestored, un-refinished, or unaltered" http://www.bloomingtongold.com/inc.php?link=survivor

That 50% leaves room for service replacement parts, or aftermarket. I don't think they want people to reinstall other car's used OEM parts that are worn to present it as born with parts. The other cars presented there are done so with varying degrees of original born with parts. Is it fair that some might present itself as such, but in reality have parts from other cars? It's a competition. The judges might not know that part came from another car. So, as a hobby, it's up to the owners to be fair.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I understand what you mean. I would not mind restoring a car to NCRS standards but i would not have the overspray on the engine parts.
I would restore like i like it to be and rather loose the points for not doing it the factory way

I agree with you that it is up to the owners how they want their cars to be

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
You're talking about personal enjoyment. The argument is fairness of competition. When you present a car for judging, integrity is at hand, especially for the BG Survivor® class, which requires "unrestored, un-refinished, or unaltered" http://www.bloomingtongold.com/inc.php?link=survivor

That 50% leaves room for service replacement parts, or aftermarket. I don't think they want people to reinstall other car's used OEM parts that are worn to present it as born with parts. The other cars presented there are done so with varying degrees of original born with parts. Is it fair that some might present itself as such, but in reality have parts from other cars? It's a competition. The judges might not know that part came from another car. So, as a hobby, it's up to the owners to be fair.

Quick Reply: 1965 327/375hp radiator cap