Notices
C1 & C2 Parts C1 & C2 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket

Set of Magnesium Grand Sport Wheels for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Lightweight 001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set of Magnesium Grand Sport Wheels for Sale

I have a set of Halibrand Grand Sport magnesium grand sport wheels with the drive pins for sale. The have 3.75 inch backspacing. The fronts are 8.5'' x 15 and the rears are 10'' x 15. $2700.00
Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM
thesteve
Instructor

Gotta be honest with you.....I'm not going to buy them.......but I'd really love to see some pics!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw this also.

I asked them what the availability of extra wheels would be in the future.

No point in having them if you couldn't buy spares or replacements.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks for posting this, you beat me to it.

Ty
Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tyoneal
I saw this also.

I asked them what the availability of extra wheels would be in the future.

No point in having them if you couldn't buy spares or replacements.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks for posting this, you beat me to it.

Ty
=========================

Here is the answer I received:

Dear tyoneal,

Ty,

I have two sets of these wheels with the same dimensions. I still have the molds for them but I doubt I will make another run in magnesium in the near future.

Thank you,

Steven

- 38gt1
==============================

Am I wrong, doesn't magnesium, while light, slowly degrades by accumulating very small fractures when in use?

Looks to me the hot set up, given they were reasonably durable, is to make or buy a mold and just make your own. There are a lot of small foundries out there that specialize in small jobs.

Ty
Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy the wheels. Rent the molds and have spares made if you have a foundry and machine shop that will work with Magnesium.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:05 AM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 78 Posts

=========================

Here is the answer I received:

Dear tyoneal,

Ty,

I have two sets of these wheels with the same dimensions. I still have the molds for them but I doubt I will make another run in magnesium in the near future.

Thank you,

Steven

- 38gt1
==============================

Am I wrong, doesn't magnesium, while light, slowly degrades by accumulating very small fractures when in use?

Looks to me the hot set up, given they were reasonably durable, is to make or buy a mold and just make your own. There are a lot of small foundries out there that specialize in small jobs.

Ty
Ty magnesium wheel don't deteriorate over time if cared for. I have a set of 9 1/2'' Magnesium Minilites on my 66 that have been on the car since 1975 or so with no problems. Today I would buy a set of aluminum replica's for street use. Much cheaper !!! ---- Ken
Old 05-16-2011, 02:41 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by keystonefarm
Ty magnesium wheel don't deteriorate over time if cared for. I have a set of 9 1/2'' Magnesium Minilites on my 66 that have been on the car since 1975 or so with no problems. Today I would buy a set of aluminum replica's for street use. Much cheaper !!! ---- Ken
============================
Ken:

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was something about them that was different I just forgot exactly what the issue was.

When you say "Care For" what does that entail. What exactly happens when not done?

Thanks,

Ty
Old 05-16-2011, 02:45 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 78 Posts

============================
Ken:

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was something about them that was different I just forgot exactly what the issue was.

When you say "Care For" what does that entail. What exactly happens when not done?

Thanks,

Ty
Ty the biggest difference is weight. Repairing magnesium is an art so damaging a wheel in a pothole can be much more expensive. My wheels were on two other race cars before they got to mine. Jerry Hansen had them originally , then Babe Headley. When Babe went to IMSA he went to a wider wheel and I bought 4 from him. They had been painted while on race cars so I decided to clean them up. I had them blasted with walnut shells to get them back to bare magnesium. I then polished the outer lips , repainted the spokes and clear coated them . The polishing lasted maybe 2-3 months !!! Almost impossible to keep them looking half decent so I then repainted the entire wheel. Just keeping a good coat of paint on them will stop any corrosion. Care for ? Thats just keeping the wheel surface sealed against the elements. Thats the biggest pain with magnesium wheels. PSE make s a very nice Minilite aluminum wheel if you want to go that route. They also make a very nice GS aluminum wheel . ----------- Ken
Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ken:

Thanks for the insight.

I have some PSE Mini lights on my 69 Camaro, and they look terrific.

I'll put some of his Corvette GS wheels on my GS. Thank goodness he is around, without him there are SO MANY great wheels that would be just absent.

Ty
Old 10-27-2011, 05:33 AM
grandsport005
1st Gear

Are these wheels new, used, or abused? Is backspacing same front and rear? Can you send photos? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Set of Magnesium Grand Sport Wheels for Sale

Quick Reply: Set of Magnesium Grand Sport Wheels for Sale