C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How many of you guys remember the Cheetah Project . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Default How many of you guys remember the Cheetah Project . . . .

In the last few days I purchased a steering wheel for my mid-year from a gentleman in Arizona, and thru the conversations back and forth regarding this transaction, I found out he is a previous mid-year owner who is now engaged in building a replica of the Cheetah. For some of the younger members who may not know, the Cheetah was a 'Vette based Cobra killer project from the mid sixties. I believe a couple of the folks involved in the original Cheetah project were Don Edmunds and Bill Thomas. I'm sure JohnZ will have some knowledge of these folks and of the Cheetah project.

I've got a couple of photos of the replica project that the gentleman in Arizona was kind enough to forward to me, (now posted). I gave him the forum address and hopefully he will post some further info and progress photos on the forum at a future date. These photos sure brought back some memories of the original Cheetah for me, I'm sure you will enjoy them and maybe someone will be able to contribute further information regarding the original.

Last edited by Ron Miller; 01-16-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:44 AM
427 Mitch
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is this gentleman Robert Auxier Jr?
Old 01-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 427 Mitch
Is this gentleman Robert Auxier Jr?
No, but I don't wish to reveal his name without contacting him first as he might not wish it to be posted in a public forum.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Daffy2
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cheetahs never lose

Try the "Cheetahs Never Lose" website. Also one for sale in the Jan. 3rd Autoweek clasifieds - $139,500 obo.

Daffy
Old 01-16-2005, 12:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

The Cheetah went like hell in a straight line, but was really evil-handling; the wheelbase was so short that it didn't use a prop shaft; the trans output yoke connected directly to the diff pinion yoke.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I have actually visited this guys house a year or so ago with a friend who bought some parts from him ....had a midyear big tank restoration going and a cheetah restoration then he took us accross the street to a neighbors garage to look at a finished Cheetah. If you like sitting in a small cage on top of the rear wheels with massive power, then this car is for you Amazing that this little car could take all the torque and power that it was producing!! Looked like fun to me until you had to turn it!!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:56 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Bill Thomas WAS the designer/builder of this unique racer. Don Edmonds was the chassis man. They were powered by 64 type FI 327s (stroked to 377 with a 3.75 crank). The total production has been debated for years (13-16-27), but all agree that less than 30 were built. The first two were (believed to be) alum, the remaining were fiberglass. Some (how many???) had the FI unit converted to dual air meters (lid removed, alum plate added to top with two holes and 2 air meters).
One of the original Cheetahs resides in the Tulsa, OK area, literally deteriorating away in a shed of cow poop (up to the bottom of the car). Yes, I've seen it with my own eyes! Within the last 2yrs or so, it has been pulled out, BUT, restoration has not begun (and it doesn't look favorable that it will happen). I'm not positive, but I believe this car also has a dual air meter unit to go with it.
If Verle Randolph is reading this, he has more specific info about its status.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 01-17-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Default Cheetah Photos now posted . . .

Thanks to my network provider, was able to work out the glitches and have posted the Clheetah photos in my initial post, see above. Not sure what the wheelbase measurement is, doesn't look too far off from the 98" wheelbase of the mid-years, but looks may be deceiving. Here's a quote from the builder of the replica:

"The Cheetah project began in June of 2000, following several months of research after I sold my Cobra replica in early 2000. Attached are a couple of pics of the "foam cat" as it was nearing the glass lay up stage. I've got lots more pics of the car throughout the process - from the magic marker lines on the garage floor (some which are still visible today) to the present condition - which is almost "roller" form, sans steering and shocks being connected. It's powered by a 500 Caddy (pristine Eldo fwd motor) hooked to a 400 th auto tranny and a three link rear axel that has a 2:47 to 1 ratio. Ought to be very interesting just what all that torque, extremely tall rear gears and 3 speed tranny will do. I'm thinking maybe 90 or so in 1st gear ought to be attainable? "

One thing for sure, the the sucker should move with the 500 cube Caddy engine!!!
Old 01-16-2005, 01:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Here's a Cheetah at the Monterey Historics two years ago, with big, fat 58mm Webers:

Old 01-17-2005, 08:10 AM
JCL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John. You wouldn't have a picture of the sidepipes. The ones on the replicas are using a Cobra set up. Yuk...... Thanks, JCL
Old 01-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that cross ram weber setup is about the most beautiful thing in the world, followed by a 57 fuelly unit. Of course, my wife comes in first .

Get notified of new replies

To How many of you guys remember the Cheetah Project . . . .

Quick Reply: How many of you guys remember the Cheetah Project . . . .