C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'67 Dashpad removal/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Bowtie67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '67 Dashpad removal/replacement

I did a search, with no success. How big a job is it to replace the passenger side dashpad on a '67? Any helpful tips would be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:54 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The passenger side can be replaced without removing the entire dash. You will need to remove the glovebox assy, the radio side panel, and probably some other miscellaneous parts. The pad is retained by some "X" type clips. You will need to spread them to remove and squeeze together to install. Not a huge deal, but will require some time and patience.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...agree

it will take some contortions to get out all the clips but it is straightforward
Old 12-28-2004, 03:28 PM
65RDSTR
Racer

If Im wrong about this its too late for me but I think it is nearly impossible to spread those clips and re-use them. I cut mine with a cut off wheel on a dremil tool. Just one cut lengthwise and the clip came out in two pieces. Its about $27.00 per side for new clips.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:18 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 739 Likes on 459 Posts

The clips can be removed by inserting a small screw driver between the two visible "tabs" and twisting or wiggling back and forth. Once the clip loosens up a bit you may need to hold it with a needle nose while you expand it further. Kid is correct, some of them are a bear to reach. I just removed both dash pads from my 65 for "dyeing". Mine is an AC car so I took a lot of extra stuff out to get access to the clips. I also used a little "right angle" screw driver and an antique baby food bottle opener (not widely available I suspect) to expand some of the clips that were in easy reach.
Here's a "primer". Let me know if you need a bigger pic. You can "right clic" on this one and then hit "Save picture as.."
Patience!!!!
DZ
Old 12-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Bowtie67
Intermediate

Default Thanks to all who replied!!!

I want to thank everyone for their responses. The pictures are worth a thousand words. Guess all I have to do now is get busy!!!

Get notified of new replies

To '67 Dashpad removal/replacement

Quick Reply: '67 Dashpad removal/replacement