C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

one piece front clip or 3 piece

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 12:47 PM
panchop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default one piece front clip or 3 piece

well i need a new front clip, i see the one piece units and the 3 piece units listed for 3 x the cost. as i survay the damage on the front i have it seems to be hand layed glass. so it is a replacment. has anyone got any advice on this decision.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:17 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Default front clip

IT DEPENDS ON YOUR BUDGET I PERSONALLY WOULD USE A CORECCT FRONT .IF YOU GO TO SELL THE CAR LATTER WITH A ONE PIECE IT WILL NOT DEMAND THE PRICE FOR THE CAR .KEEPING IT CORRECT IS IMPORTANT.GOOD LUCK FROPM BOB W
Old 12-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Dave McDufford
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by panchop
well i need a new front clip, i see the one piece units and the 3 piece units listed for 3 x the cost. as i survay the damage on the front i have it seems to be hand layed glass. so it is a replacment. has anyone got any advice on this decision.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I would be extremely down.

To answer your question, it is simply a matter of originally and value. The multi-piece is original and the car is worth more with it. If the money is not a big issue and you want to maintain/increase the value, I would go with the original. I would guess the value increase is at least equal to the additional cost and the car would appeal to a wider market.

If it is a driver you do not plan to sell, the rest of the car is far from original, and you do not care about the value, go with the one piece.

I put the multi-piece on mine because I wanted original and it Top-Flighted when I was done.

Tough decision.

Dave
:d33:
Old 12-26-2004, 01:38 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

PANCHOP,

As BOB WINSKI said, if the car is more original then not and you have documentation supporting the originality of the car, then spending the extra money for the more correct made front ends should "protect" its value. The real question to ask is: Where are you going with the car?. Are you planning on having it judged at an NCRS meet or are you trying to make it as correct looking for your own enjoyment and drive her?

If the car is used as more of a driver, then why spend that extra money?

I put a 1-piece front clip on my '5 back in '98. My goal was to bring the car back to an "excellent driver" quality level, for me. The car ain't leavin' my family. It will be with them after I'm long gone. I've never looked back on my decision to go in this direction. My '5 is a matching #s (original trans/rear/block/frame. I don't have any papers with my '5 other than title search back to '68 indicating I'm the 3rd owner.

Both the 1 piece front clips as well as the correct individual pieces will need work. A good glass/paint shop can make either look excellent (inlcuding adding the bonding strips etc...)

I drive my '5.

Just my .02.

Good luck on your decision.

Regards,

Jim (6T5RUSH)

Last edited by 6T5RUSH; 12-26-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:42 PM
tdelph
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a little curious on who your insurance company is and how they handle your claim. I had a small claim...$ 1,500.00 or so a few years back and "American Collectors" was great to work with. No flap, just the check.

Keep us posted.

Tim
Old 12-26-2004, 01:45 PM
panchop
Melting Slicks

well since my wife was towing the car with my truck, i probably will just skip the insurance and pay for it out of my pocket.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Vipermike
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Body repairs and modifications are the biggest price reducer when buying/selling a car. Over the years I have bought several midyears and the first thing I have always done when I walked up to a car that I was looking at to purchase was stick a hand in the front fenderwells to feel for the bonding strips. Whether or not they are still there tells the buyer an aweful lot in general about the history of the car and what kind of life it has led.

In my opinion a multi-piece front end will increase the value of all cars, not just those that are going to be NCRS judged.

Last edited by Vipermike; 12-26-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Nicky71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipermike
Over the years I have bought several midyears and the first thing I have always done when I walked up to a car that I was looking at to purchase was stick a hand in the front fenderwells to feel for the bonding strips. Whether or not they are still there tells the buyer an aweful lot in general about the history of the car and what kind of life it has led.
Ditto for me. Whether you ever intend to sell the car or not, making the repair correctly is equally important. It is considerably more expensive to use the multi-piece original front clip, but I wouldn't consider doing it any other way if it were my car.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:10 PM
66ragtop owner
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same misfortune with my 66 right after I bought it. The first time I took it out for a ride someone ran a red light and I T-boned him.

I went throught my insurance company ( Hagerty) and insisted on the correct front end with bonding strips from Corvette Image. The cost of repair for my car was $14,000. My damage didn't look much worse than yours. It had no frame or radiator damage only fiberglass, chrome and headlights. You could be surprised how fast it ads up. You might want to call your insurance company and ask how they will handle it.

Hagerty was outstanding to deal with. My rates didn't go up and I had zero deductible and I only had the car 2 weeks.They repaired the car where and how I wanted it.

Brian
Old 12-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Jim Sermersheim and Corvette Image will sell you a "jig assembled" multi piece front end. Also, Wayne Womble in North Carolina will assemble you a front, using Image panels.

Do what you want, but I wouldn't consider a one piece front. It can be the "kiss of death" on resale. Also, many just don't fit correctly. I've been involved in helping several friends over the years with one piece fronts.

Hoods fit poorly...requiring cutting and rewelding the hood hinges, etc. Chuck
Old 12-27-2004, 02:22 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

On e piece front ends for the most part don't bother me but chuck is right. With my one piece I think the hood hole is too small. When I put a hood on it I had to make the hood smaller. Correct me if I'm wrong tho, I think this is not too uncommon for replacement of Corvette hoods, doors etc.
Regarding the insurance issue, an accident is an accident. I definately would look closely at your insurance options. Most probably claiming is he right thing to do. Then you can get it fixed "High End".
Old 12-27-2004, 03:11 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,033 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Jim Sermersheim and Corvette Image will sell you a "jig assembled" multi piece front end. Also, Wayne Womble in North Carolina will assemble you a front, using Image panels.
An excellent option to consider, and one I did not know existed. I've repaired midyears both ways, and the hardest part of going the multi-piece route is getting all the pieces aligned. A jig-assembled unit will save you endless frustration if you are not an experienced fiberglass body man. Good luch whichever way you go.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:01 PM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Also, Wayne Womble in North Carolina will assemble you a front, using Image panels. Chuck
Do you have Contact info for Wayne Womble?

Is his finished product better then Corvette Images complete product?

Thanks for any info on the subject
Old 12-28-2004, 03:44 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Panchop - read about the "mishap" and now see you are on to fix it phase - cool. I have to take the side of "keep ultimate resale value in mind" even if you now plan to be buried in your C2, plans and needs change, or perhaps your son or whomever inherits the car might need to sell it and realize maximum gain, so why not fix it "right way" now. Not saying this holds true for every single item on the car, but having a one piece front end is one of those things that are "looked for" and $ deducted for" in this arena. Even if you could care less.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:30 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a new look for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34204

But seriously, if you plan to keep the car do not go the cheep route, especially with the inner fenders, get it done right. There is nothing worse than a cheep front end job. They shake rattle and roll ...

Andy
Have owned
98,81,79,76,77,71,64,63,62,61,60 and LQQKing for my next
Old 12-28-2004, 04:41 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally, I would stay away from the 1 piece units. When time comes to sell the car that's one thing that turns people away from buying it. If it was my car I would use a 3 piece unit.

Happy New Year
Old 12-28-2004, 06:15 PM
panchop
Melting Slicks

ya'll convinced me. gave the number to the shop that has my car, (they geta 20% discount) told him no matter what the insuarnce person pays for I want the corvette image assembled front end.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by my58
Do you have Contact info for Wayne Womble?

Is his finished product better then Corvette Images complete product?

Thanks for any info on the subject
Don't have his EMail. Go the the NCRS DB. He posts over there. www.ncrs.org Point and click you way to the discussion board. Chuck
Old 12-28-2004, 08:11 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You Rang? Its pretty easy, Just e-mail me.

Get notified of new replies

To one piece front clip or 3 piece

Quick Reply: one piece front clip or 3 piece