C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

S/B oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 06:45 PM
65RDSTR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S/B oil pan

The oil pan I took off the car before it went to the shop looks to me like the correct oil pan but it is a bit battered. before I go to great lengths to straighten in out I just wanted to make sure it was correct. If its not I'll probably just get a cheep reproduction.

Here is a link to a picture of my oil pan.

Oil Pan

Is this a real oil pan for a small block with power steering. I couldnt find any numbers on it?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:42 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Don't think so. The large (mechanical lifter engines and maybe early L-79s) C2 pans have the drain plug at the very rear, centered laterally, and I believe the small pan drain plug is in the same location.

My understanding is that the big pan is reproed, but not the small pan, so they can be tough to find and expensive. It's also my understanding that these two pans were unique to Corvette engines and not shared with other Chevrolet models.

Most pans don't have a part number or other identifying nomenclature, so they can only be IDed visually based on geometry and other physical characteristics.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 12-14-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:21 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Here's the correct 5-quart (4+1) SB oil pan - same general shape as the one in your pic, but the drain plug is centered at the rear:

Old 12-15-2004, 10:20 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Mrs. Z has gotta love the ol' oil pan on the kitchen counter routine . . .

Old 12-16-2004, 09:32 AM
65RDSTR
Racer

I saw this one on ebay.
ebay oil pan

Wow If thats how much they go for I think I'll stick with mine. Maybe Ill try my hand at moving the drain plug with a welder.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:55 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 65RDSTR
I saw this one on ebay.
ebay oil pan

Wow If thats how much they go for I think I'll stick with mine. Maybe Ill try my hand at moving the drain plug with a welder.
you should see how tough it is ($$) to get ahold of a "6 quart" (5+1) pan for the SHP C2s . . . .
Old 12-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through this about a year ago and the picture that John posted was of the 1st pan I bought.

I purchased the 5 qt for about $90 on EBAY and found out it wasn't the one with the trap door (6 qt). I subsequently found a trap door pan on EBAY for about $130 (came with a bunch of other stuff I have sold for $100) and ended up selling the 5 qt on EBAY again for $100. Unless oil pan prices have gone through the roof in one year all you have to do is wait and you'll find something reasonable. Both were original small seal pans.

The funny thing about both auctions I won is that neither was advertised as "CORVETTE". Probably why the price was reasonable.

Brian

PS both pans needed to be stripped, de-scaled, and repainted as someone had "restored" them by paining over rust. Both pans have very minor dents.

Last edited by Allcoupedup; 12-16-2004 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:36 PM
65RDSTR
Racer

The word corvette usually adds a few hundred $ to the price of anything. The numbers 67 and 427 usually adds a few thousand $ to anything.

Are there any other oil pans that have the drain plug in the back and look like that that are not corvette oil pans?
Old 12-16-2004, 06:29 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by 65RDSTR
I saw this one on ebay.
ebay oil pan

There was another pan just like the one in this pic that was also finished in this same epoxy paint, but sold for less than half of what this pan sold for .. Could be the same pan - sure looks like it!.
I bought a 5 quart Corvette pan on ebay to replace the stock 4 quart (center drain plug) pan that I ended up using when the engine blew. These 5 and 6 quart pans come up fairly often on ebay. Most will probably need some reconditioning as received but at least you will have a real Corvette oil pan to reinstall back into your car. The rear drain plug oil pans were Corvette only.
John
Old 12-16-2004, 09:42 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

The 6 qt pan was unique to Corvette and was used in HP engines. The big difference is in the baffling and rear swinging door. Under certain conditions it helps to keep the oil from draining away from the oil pump.
Also, a good deal of HP is robbed when crank dips in the oil or excess oil goes on the crank. This was discovered many years ago by Moroso Performance. They design pans and baffling to control the flow of oil to keep it away from the crank and near the oil pump. Check out their catalog or go to moroso.com for more info and available items

Get notified of new replies

To S/B oil pan

Quick Reply: S/B oil pan