C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

DIVORCED - What is market value on this '66?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 06:15 PM
BioRxOkc@aol.com
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DIVORCED - What is market value on this '66?

Sometimes life doesn't go as planned. I might need to sell my 66 and want to know what to price it at. I thought that I could get some help here. I would put in a regional picture post and maybe corvette trader as well as some internet exposure. Here are the specifics:

1966 roadster with matching numbers engine and muncie 4 speed. Motor is L-79 (327/350) and runs very well. It was tuned and dyno'd at 300 RWHP. The body is very clean and the paint is like glass and beautiful, although the body has a one-piece front (Grand Sport style) and the car has fender flares. The interior is orignial except for radio and all gauges work.

Knowing this, what do you guys think is a fair asking price and what is a fair selling price? I know that the car is modified and we are entering fall. So far, I think that ~25-27K is what the car might bring, but only the market will tell.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:46 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends on how quickly you need to sell. The price might be fair, but there is a much smaller pool of buyers looking for car with obvious modifications. The more time you can take, the higher a price you can expect.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:49 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hide it
Old 10-20-2004, 09:10 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.

Default with stupid

Originally Posted by comp
Hide it

have it stolen...

I was lucky my car was "pre-marital property"
Old 10-20-2004, 09:13 AM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its worth about $5-10k . Sell it to a friend, who will sell it back to you after the ink dries!!
Old 10-20-2004, 09:49 AM
BioRxOkc@aol.com
Pro

Actually, the divorce is final and I kept the Vette, I just had to give her things in order to keep it. Now, I am in a money crunch and that is why I am looking to sell.

So, anyone have any ideas of value?
Old 10-20-2004, 11:29 AM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD
have it stolen...

I was lucky my car was "pre-marital property"
Unless your car is specifically mentioned in a pre-marital agreement AND every penny put into the car since the marriage (including gas, oil, insurance, etc) comes from YOUR personal account (not a joint account), there is a thing called "co-mingling of funds" and that entitles her to 1/2 the value of the car. I'm not an attorney, just a guy who went through a divorce.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:49 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JWD01
Unless your car is specifically mentioned in a pre-marital agreement AND every penny put into the car since the marriage (including gas, oil, insurance, etc) comes from YOUR personal account (not a joint account), there is a thing called "co-mingling of funds" and that entitles her to 1/2 the value of the car. I'm not an attorney, just a guy who went through a divorce.
maybe not 1/2 the value of the car, but if joint funds were used to maintain pre-marital property, the other spouse might be entitled to 1/2 of the appreciation in value of the car during the marriage (but not nec. 1/2 of the overall value of the car). Same thing tends to hold true for houses too.

Anyway, BioRxOkc, I will miss seeing your car and posts if you end up selling (hey no one questions your need to do so, we have **** to take care of) but if you do sell I hope you get a good price, I agree that getting the best price for unique cars such as yours requires a patient seller, difficult when the need to sell is funds-driven.

One hting I do recall is how powerfull you engine is, and how we were left to wonder what sort of magic tricks the prior owner had used! Someone will get a great car.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:51 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ctjackster
maybe not 1/2 the value of the car, but if joint funds were used to maintain pre-marital property, the other spouse might be entitled to 1/2 of the appreciation in value of the car during the marriage (but not nec. 1/2 of the overall value of the car). Same thing tends to hold true for houses too.
You are probably correct IF you had an appraisal done prior to the marriage and everything is documented to the N-th degree. Otherwise, if there is any discrepency or question on anything - she gets 1/2 of the total value. Again, I'm not a lawyer, I just gave them tons of money to find things like this out.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:09 PM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BioRxOkc@aol.com
Actually, the divorce is final and I kept the Vette, I just had to give her things in order to keep it. Now, I am in a money crunch and that is why I am looking to sell.

Side job you'll kick yourself if you sell it now
Old 10-20-2004, 03:43 PM
tictocdok
Racer

money crunches tend to be temporary, don't panic because in a few months you'll get thru it and be glad you kept the vette, it is well worth more than you'll ever get in cash.
next time you get married get a prenup... she'll spend her $$ on shoes, you'll spend yours on an investment, guess who gets screwed if a divorce happens :-)
Old 10-21-2004, 01:51 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Given the modifications, time of year (not convertible weather) and nature of sale, I would estimate $18 - $20k. She should let you buy out her half. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by PRND21
Given the modifications, time of year (not convertible weather) and nature of sale, I would estimate $18 - $20k. She should let you buy out her half. Good luck!

I'd be interested at that price.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by BioRxOkc@aol.com

You should be in the ballpark with $22-25,000 in my opinion. Of course as you know, the quicker you have to make the sale, the less likely you are to get full price for it. Best wishes, hope you figure someway to keep the car.

Get notified of new replies

To DIVORCED - What is market value on this '66?

Quick Reply: DIVORCED - What is market value on this '66?