C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Restoration PART II ...TRIM...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 02:59 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Default 1963 Restoration PART II ...TRIM...

The interior was finished except for the well behind the seat. It was painted silver and was full of excesse glue runs from a sloppy job of putting the carpet in many years ago, along with just a bunch of gouges, so we sanded down and painted, this is the result:

Real happy with this result, even though its covered, it details that make the car a winner, and we have tried to think of the smallest details.

Here are some more body shots:

Well, we are getting closer and closer. Will be working on a few other items today. One thing, the Cookie Sheets (flat hood grills) I got are reproductions, and it appears the originals have a slight bend to them while the repops are just flat, thus the ends toward the winshield side are not flat on the hood, anybody got a fix for this? I have glued one on and waiting to see how it takes, but its really almost un-noticable.

I will keep you posted as we continue....got to order some more hardware....
Old 10-15-2004, 04:24 PM
JOESL8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As JJ would say DYNOMITE!!
Yeah man, looks sweeeet, what black paint did you use for the wells? Did you happen to touch up the consoles or gove box with black paint? I'm going to do some touch ups to my 64 soon so if you have any more pics I'd love to see them?!

Old 10-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Looks NICE, Collin Fun putting them back together, isn't it? And, you're correct, it's the "little details" that make the car. Take your time.

I'm slowly getting my 63 back together too. Still need to do MONTHS of cleaning/detailing, especially on the chassis components. Chuck
Old 10-15-2004, 05:25 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Chuck,

Know what you mean, being in the body shop the entire interior needs to be cleaned, and the engine too. But small price to pay, and besides have the WHOLE winter to get ready for showtime next year

You need to post some more photos...
Old 10-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,142 Likes on 1,476 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Done mine twice in 30 years.

Dennis
Old 10-15-2004, 10:18 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Collin, looking incredible. I'm jealous. I'm in a holding pattern waiting for my turn at our shop. Customers come first and collision work gets the priority.

Keep those pics coming. It's very inspireing.

A note on the cookie sheets. I had mind stripped, replated, and the squares repainted. It was cheaper then repops and fit perfectly (and look good). Just an FYI. I also know where you might be able to get a set of good used/refinished. Drop me a note if you don't get the problem solved on the repops. They do look good in the pics though.

As far as cleaning goes. Maybe this will make you feel better. When we did my 34 last year, it got trashed after 6 months in the shop doing all the bodywork. After weeks/months of cleaning and detailing as Chuck said, the end results pays off. On my 63 we are doing the body off the chassis (on a dolly - I've already had the body on and off twice while working on it). Should make the final clean-up much easier.

Big Mess!

After the clean-up

Old 10-16-2004, 02:18 AM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Just Stunning ! Love it !
Kevin
Old 10-16-2004, 12:02 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Collin,

Well, the storage compartments look too good now to actually use to store your jack. I guess you'll have to find another place for it!

The body shots look great!

Rich
Old 10-16-2004, 03:30 PM
dropTopTx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

That silver looks amazing and silver doesnt usually WOW me! Can wait to see it complete and some more photos in natural light.

Your doing a great job!

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Restoration PART II ...TRIM...

Quick Reply: 1963 Restoration PART II ...TRIM...