C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

It's fall, mice again...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 08:38 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default It's fall, mice again...!!!

I always keep baited mice traps in my garage. Durring the summer my garage was mice free. Not so since fall. Caught 4 in the last 2 weeks. Last one the Wall-mart trap caught his leg and the little critter was alive when I inspected the trap. Felt kind of sorry for the little guy as he looked up at me, but I had to kill him with a brick.

Hey, it's either them or my Vette.

I've owned the Vette for over 20 years and for the first 4 years I had no garage, so the car remained outside. Since new construction in the suburb where I live, mice have become more plenitful. That and recent composting in the neighborhood have seemed to attact more rodents. But no rats yet...

Since I don't have electricity in the garage I was wondering if anyone knew of any mice alarms that run off of batteries. I suppose I could buy a power invertor and connect one to a car battery, but how long before the car battery would be discharged.?

Thoughts.?

TIA

Kenmo
Old 10-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bricks are kinda messy. I think a $30 BB gun would be better . Sounds like you've got a rodent problem that needs to be addressed. I suggest getting some poison from the local hardware store.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Vetterodder: I guess the $30 B-B gun would work on a small critter like a mouse, but it does NOTHING to the "PITTSBURGH PIGEONS" that have invaded my bird feeder! The B-B's just bounced off; I bought .177 pellets, and they, too, bounced off. Just bought .177 "bolts" (looks like a dart); will see what tomorrow brings!
Cruz
Old 10-08-2004, 11:41 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 357 MAGNUM for sale!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2004, 11:42 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

A lot of guys fret about "winter storage", but most of the same guys give no consideration to rodent control.

BY FAR the most storage damage is likely to occur from rodents. I keep traps under the car and elsewhere on the floor and bait in the engine compartment, interior, and trunk. You cannot be too cautious about rodent control. Use lots of traps and poison and make frequent inspections for activity.

Duke
Old 10-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my share of mice in the garage, but usually wipe them out shortly after they take up residence. I have also tried to alter my habits (I used to tend to leave the garage door open a lot) to limit their opportunities to get in now. Seems to work. But I still keep traps around though (just in case)...
Old 10-09-2004, 01:35 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't forget to inspect for mouse nests in the spring before startup. They will cause a fire. A friend of mine parted out a '76 last year that burned due to a nest among header pipes.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:58 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Mothballs work great. I use mothball placing them on the inside, the motor area (use the net bags used for washing nylon socks) and under the car. I don't like to use traps. Also DCON those wedge shape boxes with poison works great too. Be careful if you have small pets. The critters like to nest inside exhause pipes too, so don't forget to block them up. I usually check the cars several time a week to make sure the little guys haven't taken up residence inside either the 63 or the 02. They will bite through wiring, seats, carpet and just about anything else that is not metal. Its a serious problem with mice. Also if you store car outside, cats, squirrels, racoon, chipmonks and other little critters wil nest inside the motor area if the car is covered up. Its a good idea to check. I know one guy who found a snake under is hood and he did not have a Cobra
Old 10-09-2004, 03:11 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Anyone use something like this....to keep the vermints away ?

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/SHP/...p#Weitech_0180
Old 10-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Vette-66
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This works too!
Old 10-09-2004, 06:25 PM
JOESL8
Instructor

Originally Posted by kenmo

I've tried several of those sonic devices, they do not work. I had a spider building webs on one! By the way, even though I hate killing animals or even bugs, those pointy pellets should do the trick.

Last edited by JOESL8; 10-10-2004 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:26 PM
JOESL8
Instructor

I've tried several of those sonic devices, they do not work. I had a spider building webs on one! By the way, even though I hate killing animals or even bugs, those pointy pellets should do the trick. Cats are definately a must if you have an infilltration but you have to get a mean alley cat, not one of those metrosexual cats.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:58 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I use them

My home 3 years ago had field mice and before I new it, I had a few mice take up residence in my 63. Carpet shot! My new house proved to be no different. Last year I had yet another mouse try to take up residence, but I caught him/her.

The little bugger ran under the base of my drill press where he/she saw its last days. I gased little Mickey with the car exhaust through the bolt hole!

Since then I have had two of those sonic devices in the garage (16 months now), and have not seen a mouse yet. Don't know if it's the sonic device or the word is out on me but they havn't been back yet.

The spiders were building webs on them in the house, so I moved them out to the garage. Maybe the frequency is different and mice don't likem. I do keep decon by the roll up doors, but nobody's hungry!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:59 PM
PHIL BISHOP
Cruising

Got this one from guy at local car show-tried it-worked for
me. Sprinkle powdered laundry soap WITH BLEACH around
perimiter of storage area-the critters walk through it, then
lick it off their feet (must not like the feel or smell of it).
Works like D-Con but cheaper.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:02 PM
studiog
Advanced

When I disassembled my 61 that the previous owner had stored for 15 years I found mice nests throughout the car. In the exhaust, in the seats, in the frame rails, in the heater box, in nooks and crannies throughout the fiberglass body, etc, The seat material as it was chewed up and used elsewhere in the car to make nests. When I had my frame repaired in two different rust out areas the welders said they had found nests in both spots. Keep those critters in check.They can raise heck with your stored car.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:06 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Frame Rails???

I found the jute from my carpet padding nicely tucked into the right side rear frame rail mount just in front of the rear tire.

When pulling the access cover off to get at the body mount bolt, that cavity was stuffed with jute. There is no other access to that cavity is there? Are these little guys using tools now?
Old 10-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Lee
Instructor

I store mine on a lift so my wife can park underneath it in the winter. I figure if the little buggers are smart enough to crawl 6 feet in the air to nest in my frame, I'm not taken them on.....

Lee
Old 10-10-2004, 07:26 PM
FXT

Check out this big guy under my C-5! It's a ground hog, not a rat.

Get notified of new replies

To It's fall, mice again...!!!

Quick Reply: It's fall, mice again...!!!