C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 04:02 PM
dabavelas
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic oil

I'm old fashion, but I've been told to swith to using Mobil 1 synthethic oil in my 66 Vette? I'm sure you guys know. Is it OK?
Old 09-18-2004, 04:11 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

With one oil change annually (about 1,500 miles), I find it difficult to imagine any advantage in spending five times as much for synthetics as I do for ordinary oil that meets or exceeds all engine manufacturer's requirements. For 50,000 miles a year, maybe - certainly not for 1500.

"Marketing, son, marketing - that's where the real money is..."
Old 09-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Lakevette
Racer

Originally Posted by dabavelas
I'm old fashion, but I've been told to swith to using Mobil 1 synthethic oil in my 66 Vette? I'm sure you guys know. Is it OK?
There are a lot of knowledgeable people re: synthetics vs the regular but for my 2 cents. Better safe than sorry .. i.e. cheap insurance!
Synthetics are made to withstand greater heat temperatures over a longer period of time. They last "longer" without breaking down. The biggest problem is oil contaminants. Syns. reduce friction to a better extent than regular oil, which is why after an rebuild for rear ends and engines, rebuilders typically want you to avoid synthetics till the parts are "broken in".
The greatest benefit that I can find for sythetics is in the transmission due to it's great propensity for heat. I am a convert especially after the noticable improvement my 5.0 Ford Explorer with red line tranny oil. I use a blend for "driver" vehicle engines but syns. in the trannys. Expensive but considering I pull boats occasionally handling heat is of primary concern even with a oil cooler and syn oil is cheaper than a new tranny!
I use syns for my 64 vert.

Boats are one of the few areas that are not recommended for use with synthetics. I am not precisely aware of the reasoning but I have seen enough high performance articles by Teague and other to warrant caution.I beleive it has to do with molecular bonding with H20 and other such stuff. Syns don't do well with water!

Just my 2 cents!
Old 09-18-2004, 07:11 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

What nobody, and I mean NOBODY, understands is that the most important aspect of a motor oil for a vintage car that sees low mileage accumulation is the additive package, NOT the base stock. The long life properties of synthetic bases won't do you any good if you drive the car a few hundred to a few thousand miles and change the oil once a year as you should.

The best additive packages - a blend of detergents, dispersants, anti-wear, and anti corrosion additives are in HD diesel engine oils, API service catergory CI-4. These additive concentrations in modern spark ignition oils have actually been reduced over the years because their combustion byproducts are not good for catalysts.

Modern engines have roller lifters and very precisely controlled fuel flow, so they can get away with a less robust additive package than a vintage engine with forged pistons (SHP/FI, which are more scuff prone than cast pistons), flat tappet cams, and carburetors that cause greater fuel dilution of the oil. Your engine will appreciate the additional dose of ZDDP anti-wear addtive in CI-4 oils. Some modern spark ignition oils have completely eliminated ZDDP!

Synthetic oils are designed for modern engines that have a different set of criteria than vintage engines, and the CI-4 oils are a vastly superior choice.

Duke
Old 09-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main reason GM "requires" synthetic oil in the LT1 motor introduced in the '92 Corvette is because GM found they could eliminate the oil cooler with synthetic oil. And, the LT1 is designed to run at higher temperatures (the factory setting for the primary cooling fan for the '92 is 221 degrees F, and the secondary comes on higher than that).
But, older motors don't normally run nearly that hot so they don't have that requirement.
So, I am in agreement....for the average C2 that gets about 2K a year on it and the oil is changed, it is probably a waste of money.

Tom Piper

Last edited by Tom Piper; 09-20-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:55 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dabavelas
I have owned my 66 , 427 (now 433) for 9 years...the engine was totally rebuilt by previous owner.... have been using Moble one 10/30 since 1995 ..... a six pack cost approx $23 bucks at Costco........I drive approx 3000 miles a year & change oil & filter once a year.....no leaks, no burning oil, great immediate oil pressure ( especially impotant if you go a week or so or more without starting) ......................cheap insurance & 3 or 4 extra horsepower.....Works for the Dog & recomended by the Dog..Woof Woof
Old 09-22-2004, 09:13 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Duke.
Then you are saying it's OK to run diesel engine oil in a spark ign. engine? Have been wondering about switching to a higher detergent oil.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I use Mobil 1, 10W-30 in my 65. That was the oil used by the previous owner, after he had the engine rebuilt. I put between 800-1,000 miles a year on it. I change the oil once a year. If it's a wast of money, who cares.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I use Mobil 1, 10-30 in my 65. It was first put in after the previous owner had the engine rebuilt. I change it once a year, 800-1,000 miles. It may be a wast of money, but who cares.
I also use it in my 04. I will be changing it every 2,500 miles, that's up 500 miles from when I was changing the oil in my 99, that the 04 replaced. To me, clean oil is good oil. I have always changed the oil in my cars at 2,000 miles. The 04 will be the exception.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:01 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
Duke.
Then you are saying it's OK to run diesel engine oil in a spark ign. engine? Have been wondering about switching to a higher detergent oil.
Of course! I use CI-4 oil in my non-catalyst cars, but use SL oil in the modern cars with catalysts.

Duke
Old 09-22-2004, 02:49 PM
johnfharding
Racer

Default Regarding Boats and Synthetic Oil my Two Cents

I have a 2001 Cobalt with a 350 Vortec TBI,, this motor calls for straight 30 weight synthetic from Volvo,, yes it is a Vortec head motor with old TBI mounted on a 4 barrel vortec manifold.. You are correct Teague has recomended regular oil in some applications I think it has to do with the RICH fuel mixtures that these boats run causing Fuel contamination in the oil which I guess is better suited to the the conventional oil. I haven't had any problems thus far and I never turn down a chance to open it up and turn 5000 rpm for several minutes at a time.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:02 PM
mike 1985
Burning Brakes

cI-4 ??

Is this that Rotella T ? I don't recall seeing a CI-4?

Mike
Old 09-22-2004, 04:41 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Forget brand names! Look for CI-4 on the API certification label, and get smart on motor and gear oils:

www.api.org

Duke
Old 09-22-2004, 11:08 PM
65coupe
Pro

I use synthetic oil because these old cars are not used alot. Sometimes (especially during winter) these cars may sit for weeks if not months and all the oil will drain down to the pan. Synthetic oil is much better for these long sitting start ups. Synthetic hangs on to internal parts better and pumps up quicker than regular oil thus giving better protection.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Roscoe
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

As I read the post's ,It looks like most of you use synthetic oil.
OK
But what kind of oil filter do you use when running the synthetic oil?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:39 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65coupe
I use synthetic oil because these old cars are not used alot. Sometimes (especially during winter) these cars may sit for weeks if not months and all the oil will drain down to the pan. Synthetic oil is much better for these long sitting start ups. Synthetic hangs on to internal parts better and pumps up quicker than regular oil thus giving better protection.
Utter nonsense! There are more myths about synthetic oil than John Kerry's Vietnam tour!

Duke
Old 09-23-2004, 08:34 PM
johnfharding
Racer

Default John Kerrys Boat used Synthetic Oil!!!!

I know it cause that extra 5hp power allowed him to out run those VietKONG,, commies,,,,,that were using JungleW-40..... He's been a real advocate of synthetics ever since.. .Just ask his girlfriend!

Dear Mr. Kerry ,,, I do not approve of this message...cause I am afraid of your girlfriend. But at the point in time that I wrote it ,, I was finding myself funny so please just laugh along with me. You can get me back on the tonight show. LOL Good luck to you and Mr. Bush as who ever wins has a big Job to do. God Bless,

This message was brought to you by no partisan organization and written for pure entertainment purposes even if it was entertaining for only the one who wrote it. Copying of this post is strictly prohibitted with out written consent of the author. All Proceeds from this post will not be forwarded to either of the political parties but more than likely donated directly into my Corvette Project. Please no flaming as my fire extinguisher is empty, and I was just playing.

Get notified of new replies

To Synthetic oil

Old 09-23-2004, 08:58 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have to agree with SWCDuke 100 percent.
After reading his posts on the benifits of 15-40 desiel oil I have put it in all my cars and I recommend it to all my customers with an old carbureted cars who come into my autoparts store.
I even use it in my all original 1930 ******-Knight sleeve valve engine. Since the switch my oil pressure is higher and it reduced the smoking which is inherent to these engines.
I have a fresh 283 engine in my 61 Vette and have used Penzoil 15-40 Fleet oil from day one.
Try it and you will like it!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:29 PM
johnfharding
Racer

Default All Jokes aside

I think I might try that diesel oil too cause it just makes since what Duke says,,, I have no problems with either but I like what he says and I know my car runs rich. Black exhaust tips and bumpers
Old 09-23-2004, 10:38 PM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default has anyone addressed this?

Followed this oil thread with great interest, have had cars with 300K on them and am a big Synthetic (Syn) Oil fan. But at the same time, I understand Duke and everyone's point too ..

About to do a first oil change (just got it, drive the car 50-60 miles a week). Have to say I have not been a syn oil fan because it 'lasts longer', but because parts wear less.

Does anyone disagree that....

1. Syn Oils are slipperier and cause less wear on parts?
and
2. They do no HARM to the motor?

If I own this Vette 15 years and drive it 2,000 miles a year will my 30,000 miles on my engine be much heathier with less wear than with regular oil? I think so!
Forget oil change cost, oil life lonegevity (change it at 2-3K like the other oils), and everything else....... What about having to NOT rebuild the motor 10-15 years from now?
Who cares if it cost a few extra bucks, with what we all have invested in our beloved cars, especailly the engines?
And if you happen to have a matching # car, wouldn't you want to keep wear to an absolute minimum?
It just seems to me if an extra 20 bucks an oil change will make my engine last longer, WHY NOT?

Your thoughts please......

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil