C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Beach Boys' Sting Ray?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 11:38 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by brucep
Anybody know the history/whereabouts of the Corvette shown on the Beach Boy's "Shut Down Vol. 2" album cover?

See a picture here. It even shows part of the plate number.

http://www.thebeachboys.50g.com/_fra...boys/sdv02.jpg

If you click on the link on error screen that pops up from here, you go to the right place.

As I remember and just re-affirmed by an aquaintance, the Daytona Blue '63 coupe was owned by Dennis Wilson. The '64 Gran Prix was owned by Brian.

This part I have no recollection but was told that the '63 coupe along with three cars from Route 66 and one lightweight Sunoco oil car from Louisville, Ky are in the possession of a Don Pulver from Pennsylvania. Also, as the story goes, Buxbaum (Chicago) wound up with a '66 427 car that had a credit card under the seat that belonged to Dennis Wilson. Brian Wilson lives in St. Charles, Il where the Bloomington meet is held. I was told he attended the Corvette event there last year.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Classicvette63
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Dennis Wilson had a mid year when he was in his "this manson family is kinda cool, uhh well maybe not" phase.

I wonder if Jan Berry's mid year that he smashed is still around. Wouldn't mind coming across James Dean's Porsche either.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:49 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 396 RAT
jerrybramlett,
Remember Bill Cosby's twin Paxton 427 Cobra?
A bit blurry in my head, but I think it was probably
the baddest car I can think of owned by the "Rich and famous"
of that era (or any other)
As I recall only a few were built.
Anyone remember the details?

They are both still around. Both were at Watkins Glen for the 1989 Ford GT40 reunion. The guy that Shelby sued fof infrigement of the Cobra name (Brian Angliss???) owned the Cosby car at that time.
The following users liked this post:
Mark in MN (02-20-2021)
Old 08-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Mythreevettes
Heel & Toe

Jerry, during the summer of 69 I worked at the St. L assembly plant truck line, my friend worked on the car line but oftentimes got pulled over to work on the corvette line. One evening when we were going home he mentioned that they built a t-top for Dan Blocker (Hoss) that evening. They had to put special t-tops in it so he could sit in it. I always wondered what happened to that car. Steve
Old 08-23-2004, 07:30 PM
SMI-FST
Instructor

One of the Cobra Super Snakes is on display at a Porsche dealership i Pittsburgh. I have seen it getting new dash wirering and fully restored, awsome car.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:41 AM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Best of times

Here is one more example showing that we lived in the BEST of times.
From the Beach Boys to the "Thrilla; in Manlla', to landing on the moon, Jimmi Hendrix, 63 split window, we could go on and on. Be thankful. We are truly blessed.
The following users liked this post:
65air_coupe (02-22-2021)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 AM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
From the Beach Boys to the "Thrilla; in Manlla', to landing on the moon, Jimmi Hendrix, 63 split window, we could go on and on. Be thankful. We are truly blessed.

Soon, however, to be a distant memory.

The America, in which we grew up, is rapidly fading from the scene, as are us old guys.

It was an AWESOME ride!!

So thankful we were a small part.

The music of the era is fantastic!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck72:
65air_coupe (02-22-2021), Jaguarmaven (02-20-2021)
Old 02-23-2014, 08:27 AM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
Do you realize you are responding to a 10 year old post?????
Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 AM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
........Now Jan and Dean were another story. They went though a bunch of Corvettes during their few years together prior to Jan's crash. Peter Fonda bought a new '65 396 coupe without a heater...
I saw Fonda's blue coupe at a San Diego dealership in the '80s (IIRC). Believe it was one of the handful of '65s with an M22.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other celebrity Corvette owners during the mid-sixties. By the late sixties .......
Here's a 1968 (or late '67) shot of Neil Young (then) of the Buffalo Springfield. The guy holding the hardtop/decklid up is my cousin, Dewey Martin, the drummer of the group. Taken at the Malibu beach house that Stephen Stills, Dewey and Bruce Palmer (bass) rented. Richie Furay (rythm guitar) is the one with the sunglasses.

Name:  BuffSprMalibu_zps2396d07f.jpg
Views: 3676
Size:  86.9 KB

c
Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Originally Posted by midstyle
I saw Fonda's blue coupe at a San Diego dealership in the '80s (IIRC). Believe it was one of the handful of '65s with an M22.

Here's a 1968 (or late '67) shot of Neil Young (then) of the Buffalo Springfield. The guy holding the hardtop/decklid up is my cousin, Dewey Martin, the drummer of the group. Taken at the Malibu beach house that Stephen Stills, Dewey and Bruce Palmer (bass) rented. Richie Furay (rythm guitar) is the one with the sunglasses.

c

What a very, very cool photo!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

D@mn cool photo and a great group.
And my first car was JUST like the MGA in the background !
I remember watching a Neil Young live performance where he just "started playing" the harmonica and then he belted out "Heart of Gold" - just raw freakin' talent...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-23-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Keith Carlson
Racer

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
D@mn cool photo and a great group.
And my first car was JUST like the MGA in the background !
I remember watching a Neil Young live performance where he just "started playing" the harmonica and then he belted out "Heart of Gold" - just raw freakin' talent...
and all the rest of the music created by Neil, Stephen Stills and Richie Furay to date! It never gets old.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:57 AM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Nassau
Do you realize you are responding to a 10 year old post?????
Well, considering he's the one that brought the ten year old thread back up I'm sure he does. You usually ask that question of the second response.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:04 PM
greats
4th Gear

Default well, here it is

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
Actually, it's "two cool SHORTS" standing side by side.

I don't recall any of the Beach Boys owning Corvettes, even during the sixties. They weren't into cars. The car song lyrics like "409" were written with help from a D.J. friend who really had a 409. Maybe I missed something though. Does anyone have a photo showing one of them next to a Corvette that they owned?

The cars they drove that I remember were foreign. No joke. Dennis intentionally set his baby blue Ferrari on fire one night outside a bar. I think Carl had a Bentley, and Mike Love had one of those fruity looking wire wheel MG's. What a bunch of *****.

Now Jan and Dean were another story. They went though a bunch of Corvettes during their few years together prior to Jan's crash. Peter Fonda bought a new '65 396 coupe without a heater. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other celebrity Corvette owners during the mid-sixties. By the late sixties there was James Garner and possibly Roy Orbison. Dan Blocker was into performance Chevrolets but I can't imagine him fitting into a Corvette. GM gave away performace cars to some celebrity advertising spokesmen too. I think O.J. "Killer" Simpson got a '69 396 Camaro. The Smothers Brothers drag raced an Oldsmobile in 1968. George Maharis got a nasty looking black FI '62 with blackwalls during the filming of the Route '66 series.

Ricky Nelson had a maroon '63 Avanti. A bunch of other Hollywood types drove '63 Avanti's too. I always wondered about that.... did Studebaker give them away for publicity? I remember that Steve McQueen, Bill Cosby, and several other TV/movie stars bought new Cobras.
Looks like Brian did indeed own a Corvette. This ones in his carport on Laurel Way in Bel Air.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You might be able to find it if you have 2 things. First, you need a VIN number. Next, you need a friend that's an FBI agent. The FBI (and NSA) have some pretty incredible data bases. They're only available to folks with impressive security clearances.

I know a couple of restoration shops that have access to these files. They've found some pretty impressive cars over he years. What gets really interesting is that the current owners had no idea regarding the history of the car in their garage.

Richard Newton
Old 07-28-2014, 02:05 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

The album cover Sting Ray did belong to Dennis. I'm surprised it doesn't have FI badges, he always went for the max in his cars. The Pontiac was Carl Wilson's AIR.

All the Bonanza stars were eligible for free loaner Chevys of their choice (like the astronauts) as long as the Bowtie division was a show sponsor. Dan Blocker had an endorsement deal with Nickey Chevrolet in Chicago, who sponsored his A Sports SCCA race car, so any Corvettes he purchased should have been through them, but perhaps delivered at an L.A. dealer. OTOH maybe it was Bill Thomas Race Cars in Anaheim, they partnered with Nickey on performance projects like 427 Camaros.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:41 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
If this guy Gary Usher wrote "409" then that might explain why I was told years ago that the engine sound in this song was actually a 350/348 and not a 409/409. It must have been Gary's car.
Wrong, the engine at the beginning of 409 is Dennis Wilson's Fuel Injected Corvette. The recording of the engine was done in front of the home back around 1964 when they were writing the song with Gary Usher. That is fact...

Get notified of new replies

To Beach Boys' Sting Ray?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:28 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
Wrong, the engine at the beginning of 409 is Dennis Wilson's Fuel Injected Corvette. The recording of the engine was done in front of the home back around 1964 when they were writing the song with Gary Usher. That is fact...
I'm with Mike, I've always heard the 348 used in recording. It's not a fact that a '63 FI car was used by ANYONE to record the opening of "409" The 45 was released June 4, 1962 and recorded earlier than that even...unless he had an injected C1...if it's a fact tell us more! The Corvettes in song are connected deeply to my memories as a kid, I'd like to know the truth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/409_%28song%29

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 07-28-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:41 AM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dennis Wilson owned the vette on the cover and Steve Mc Queen owned one also. My screen save has him getting into it.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:50 AM
mspry
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And Bruce Spingsteen!

Quick Reply: Beach Boys' Sting Ray?