C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ok, stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Ok, stupid question

I just sold my 2000 coupe and am investigating how much $$$ it will take to restore my dad's 67 convertible. It has a 4 speed, and I was just reading a thread about "blown engines". Since I have almost NO manual transmission driving experience, I'm assuming that you can over-rev an older engine like that and it will severely damage the internals. Am I right? Something like bending a valve stem or hurting the crack shaft or something.

Sorry for the dumb question.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:33 PM
xlhotwheel
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, yes, yes, the car is worth restoring. There is no rev limiter on the car, so you have to be mindful of your RPMs. Remember the car is almost 40 years old and technology to match. This is a classic and should be driven with respect. You can easily by a crate motor from GM Performance Parts. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Originally Posted by xlhotwheel
Yes, yes, yes, the car is worth restoring. There is no rev limiter on the car, so you have to be mindful of your RPMs. Remember the car is almost 40 years old and technology to match. This is a classic and should be driven with respect. You can easily by a crate motor from GM Performance Parts. Good luck!
That's kinda what I thought. Ask anyone who knows me, and you'll figure out that I really respect this car. I came home from the hospital in it.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:43 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

Unless you're an inexperienced road racer, I think that it would be extremely unlikely that you will blow the engine. Those engines were tough and will easily take the normal abuse of everyday driving. After an hour or so of practice you'll be driving like a pro and having a blast doing it!! Have fun!
Old 08-25-2004, 08:33 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

You could even update the ignition to Electric like an MSD box that would have a rev limiter. Just do it so you can enjoy it.

Tom
Old 08-25-2004, 09:37 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Assuming it's hydraulic lifter engine, the lifters act as a rev limiter because they will pump up and not open the valves if the engine is overreved, which will keep revs below a critical level that will overstress the bottom end. Mechanical lifter engines are not as forgiving!

Blown engines are usually due to driver mistakes such as poor shifting technique or letting the engine run low on oil.

These engines are very stout, and if you are careful and considerate about maintenance and don't overextend your own driving skills you need not worry about "blowing the engine", but if you do, the first suspect is yourself.

Duke
Old 08-25-2004, 10:23 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOT a stupid question I'd love to re-learn to drive a stick in a vette, not much help ,but Please do it
Old 08-26-2004, 12:15 AM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Assuming it's hydraulic lifter engine, the lifters act as a rev limiter because they will pump up and not open the valves if the engine is overreved, which will keep revs below a critical level that will overstress the bottom end. Mechanical lifter engines are not as forgiving!

Blown engines are usually due to driver mistakes such as poor shifting technique or letting the engine run low on oil.

These engines are very stout, and if you are careful and considerate about maintenance and don't overextend your own driving skills you need not worry about "blowing the engine", but if you do, the first suspect is yourself.

Duke
Ok, another stupid question. How do I know if I have a solid lifter or hydraulic lifter motor? The motor is the L79, 327/350 horse.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:48 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

L-79 has hydraulic lifters and actually has a better bottom end (connnecting rods) than the last mechanical lifter SBs in 1965.

The redline on the tach should be 6000 and the lifters will probably pump up before you hit 6500, which is the redline of the prior mechanical lifter engines.

Duke
Old 08-28-2004, 06:14 AM
ROK 64
Advanced

Actually, "pumped up" lifters don't prevent the valves from opening. It's quite the opposite--they hold them open and prevent them from closing. Weak springs will also keep them from closing at high rpms (floating). Regardless, it'll keep the revs from climbing.

Crane makes a good electronic ignition conversion with an adjustable rev-limiter too.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:22 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
L-79 has hydraulic lifters and actually has a better bottom end (connnecting rods) than the last mechanical lifter SBs in 1965.

The redline on the tach should be 6000 and the lifters will probably pump up before you hit 6500, which is the redline of the prior mechanical lifter engines.

Duke
Hey Duke. I should know better than to question you but here goes anyhow. Are you certain that the L79 engine has hydraulic lifters? I haven't played with a real L79 in a while so I am running on old gray matter here.

Gary
Old 08-28-2004, 11:35 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Absolutely positive! The last C2s SBs with mechanical lifter cams were the '65 L76/84. After that all SBs had hydraulic lifters except for the '70-'72 LT-1 option, which were the last mechanical lifter SBs ever offered as a RPO.

Duke

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, stupid question

Quick Reply: Ok, stupid question