C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Vette on TLC's Overhauling

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:07 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default 64 Vette on TLC's Overhauling

Tonight on TLC's Overhaulin' they will be restoring a 1964 Vette. The shoe is on 9:00pm eastern. Sorry about the short notice but jsut found out. Show also repeats over night....
Old 07-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just found about it too. I've seen the show before. Chip Foose and the boys do good work !
Old 07-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I just found it too!
Old 07-13-2004, 09:12 PM
ArmyJofa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha i just channel surfed onto the show too
Old 07-13-2004, 10:53 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

The co-hostess is some babe...!!!!

But I can't imagine them actually tearing apart anyone's car without the owner's permission. I'm what if they tore apart my Vette and I didn't like what they did.... There's something fishy about this show...But I do like it....
Old 07-13-2004, 11:05 PM
newbe60
Racer

Default what engine was that

saw the show quickly..what engine was dropped in there..looked like an edelbrock 350 somthing ?
Old 07-14-2004, 08:41 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

stumbled onto this show last night, came on at midnight (when I should have been sleeping, don't ask) and watched it till 12:45 am, mostly due to the car (a 64) and partly due to the little sex kitten hostess. I too was struck by the thought of someone "suprising me" by doing their idea of a nice makeover on my "gonna get to it someday" C2. Note that they seemed to cast off the original (or at least what was in there when they did their makeover) engine, and dropped in a 350 crate motor from Edelbrock - two of the show's overhaul crew are members of the Edelbrock family. Of course, I could not help but think "there goes 25% of the car's resale value" when they pronounced the origianl engine "toast" due to some metal flakes / pieces in the oil pan (the show did not go into detail as to what exactly was wrong with the engine.

As for the paint scheme they put on the car, it was definitely not what I would have done, but at least the car was better off than where it started (looked like a standard issue primer grey).
Old 07-14-2004, 03:19 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree that they sort of walked all over the car in terms of its originality and value. I generally love Foose's work but they should have rebuilt the motor and tried to keep as much as possible. Don't like the stripe but overall it did look good.

I, too wonder about taking someone's corvette and having your way with it. What if she wanted to restore the car back to original? She'd be pissed and sue 'em.

Novas and 57 chevys are one thing. A corvette is a whole 'nuther.

pm
Old 07-14-2004, 04:34 PM
cliff64
Instructor

Default Overhaulin Too Much

I watched the show and you can add me to the "somthins fishy" crowd.
I don't think I would have been as happy as this owner seemed to be if it had been my 64.....

Granted, the 64 looked like it needed help but now it's a Foose trophy car but the value has to be in question. A frame off original restoration has to be worth much more down the road.

They spend too much time with making it a mystery as to what happened to the owner's car and not enough time showing the work being done on the car. And, they always get down to the last minute of the 7th day.. Will it be done in time... It always is

However, the host Babe can work on my car anytime
Old 07-14-2004, 07:25 PM
ArmyJofa
Intermediate

i think the show was pretty darn good. it took me a year to do what took them one week!
i got the impression the motor was a junk small block non original and the tranny sure looked like an old turbo 350 to me. i got the impression the wife drove the 64 into the ground and pushed it into the garage to await 'restoration.'
since the guy who restored it had done 99 vettes before this one, i would hope he would have said something if they were tossing out the orig motor.
i got a nmn car as well, so i would be dancing in the street if my old-lady had my 63 done up like that one. i just wonder who the heck paid for it? and why the husband would admit to owning one of those crappy 'thing' cars??
Old 07-14-2004, 08:15 PM
chitown65
Instructor

What was up with all the carb troubleshooting when the coil to distributor wire was not installed and the coil was arcing everytime they cranked the motor over?
Old 07-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They had the husbands permission to do the car - I've seen the show before, a family member gives them permission to do it (father, husband, etc..)

I take it that it was a NOM car to start with. The wheel wells had been radiused and the previous owner bought it in the early 70's.

I thought it turned out nice, a resto mod 64 coupe.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:00 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

No offense but no family member is ever going to give the OK to do anything to my C1. I'm still the one who owns the car and holds the title.

As I said there's something fishy about this show !!!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Hondoboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chitown65
What was up with all the carb troubleshooting when the coil to distributor wire was not installed and the coil was arcing everytime they cranked the motor over?
They had probably already fixed the situation off camera and were replicating it for on camera. You just KNOW most of the work never gets recorded cuz there ain't enough bleeps on the soundtrack.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:59 AM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyJofa
i think the show was pretty darn good. it took me a year to do what took them one week!
i got the impression the motor was a junk small block non original and the tranny sure looked like an old turbo 350 to me. i got the impression the wife drove the 64 into the ground and pushed it into the garage to await 'restoration.'
since the guy who restored it had done 99 vettes before this one, i would hope he would have said something if they were tossing out the orig motor.
i got a nmn car as well, so i would be dancing in the street if my old-lady had my 63 done up like that one. i just wonder who the heck paid for it? and why the husband would admit to owning one of those crappy 'thing' cars??
The car received a new T/H 350. I talked at length with Steve LuVisi yesterday about the show when I picked up my '91 there yesterday. For some of the INSIDE scoop, see my postings on this subject in the C3 forum.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hondoboy
They had probably already fixed the situation off camera and were replicating it for on camera. You just KNOW most of the work never gets recorded cuz there ain't enough bleeps on the soundtrack.

Saw the same thing. Glad others noticed it.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:08 PM
tuxedo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Before the resto I thought I noticed this was a car with 6 tailights versus the 4. If so I think they should have left the six since it may come from that California Chevy dealership that was big into doing that modification in those days. I say this since it is not a correct car anyway after the extensive modifications and paint.

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Vette on TLC's Overhauling

Quick Reply: 64 Vette on TLC's Overhauling