C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

AMSOIL vs Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 03:10 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default AMSOIL vs Mobil 1

While I believe that Mobil 1 is an excellent lubricant, and may be the best of the major brands available at your favorite auto store, I also want to share some independent lab tests that show it isn’t necessarily the best lubricant on the market.

Comparative Oil Test
AMSOIL vs Mobile 1 Oil Test

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5w30 Motor Oil is formulated with advanced Polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stocks. PAO base stocks are the industries premier base stock technology, and when combined with an exact blend of premium additives, provide second to none protection and performance in the most demanding operating conditions.

Why AMSOIL?
•First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil.
•First to introduce the concept of "extended drain intervals" with a recommended 25,000-mile/1-year drain interval.
•First U.S. company to utilize the NOACK volatility test as a standard of performance excellence.
•First to produce synthetic motor oils for diesel engines, racing engines, turbo and marine engines.
•First to introduce synthetic oils that legitimately contribute to improving fuel efficiency.
•First to manufacture synthetic gear lube for automotive use.
•First to manufacture a 100:1 pre-mix synthetic 2-cycle oil.
•First to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use.

AMSOIL’s extended drain intervals actually save money (and obviously time):
Cost Savings of Longer Drain Interval
AMSOILs actual recommended drain intervals can be found here:
AMSOIL Product Change Interval Guide

While I understand many of us are resistant to the time honored 3 months or 3000 mile change interval, the industry is slowly coming to see the benefits of extended drain intervals. AMSOIL is leading the effort with their high quality synthetics. However, GM appears to be the first major automobile corporation to be embracing this philosophy with the oil life system calculator in its vehicles. AMSOIL’s lubricants have been formulated to address the trade-offs involved with extended drain intervals as the above comparison information shows.
Motor Oil Drain Intervals: An Ethical Burden?

Buy AMSOIL at Wholesale
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program allows you to buy any AMSOIL product at wholesale, which is about 15-20% less expensive than retail. Cost is $10 per six months and you can buy as much oil as you want during that six months. To sign up, all it takes is one phone call to 1-800-777-7094. Give them reference number 1206638.

Or you can use this link:
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program
Again, please put 1206638 in the customer number block.

While I understand many (most?) of you will probably never use AMSOIL in your Corvette as GM recommends Mobil 1, I would appreciate it if you would consider trying AMSOIL in your other vehicles. AMSOIL makes products for almost every type of machinery that has an engine, from cars to diesels, to farm equipment, to snowmobiles, watercraft, ATVs, etc, including lubricants, appearance products, oil filters, air filters, spark plugs (Bosch), wiper blades (Bosch), etc. More information on the full AMSOIL product line can be found on their corporate homepage:
AMSOIL Corporate Homepage

Own a business?
AMSOIL has two programs that may benefit your business.

Retail Sales Program
If you own a business a retail business with no more than 12 retail outlets that sells products "off the shelf", you may buy AMSOIL products at wholesale and sell them at retail, keeping the profits.

Commercial Program
If you own a business that uses lubricants, such as a vehicle fleet of cars, trucks, farm equipment, recreational vehicles, etc, you may buy AMSOIL products at wholesale and use them for your business.

Both of these programs involve no cost to start. Several forms are required to register your business account with AMSOIL. If you are interested, please contact me at c66racing@hotmail.com and I will provide you with more information.

Thank you for your consideration and support.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Last edited by C66 Racing; 07-11-2004 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:07 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

"Marketing, son, marketing...... that's where the money is"
Old 07-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Have torn down a couple of Chevy SB engines that were run on Amsoil, and the lack of wear was remarkable!

One had over 250K on it, with long drain intervals (Amsoil recommended). Some timing chain stretch and valve stem/guide wear, but the lack of cam and bore wear was terrific! We only tore that engine down to build it up for supercharging it (Paxton blower). Added forged pistons, ported heads, stronger rods, etc., etc.

The other engine had a blown head gasket (was run for a little while AFTER a heater hose blew), and thought we better go through the entire engine (had 97K on it with standard 3K oil drain intervals). Should of not bothered, except for the gasket change (everything was practically like new inside, except for valve stem/guide wear).

Have not torn down any with Mobil1, so can not compare the 2 oils.

And no, I have no tie with either oil company!

I do not use Amsoil engine oil (but do use their rear end lube in Posi rear ends, since it has proven terrific without the need for the GM Posi additive), since I still feel that the benefits do not outway the costs. For my every day usage, a standard 10W-30 dino oil with 3K drain intervals works great with minimum wear (I will get rid of the vehicle long before the engine will cause problems). For speciality vehicles, like Vettes, I use the 15-40 diesal rated dino oil. For engines that see higher temps, such as turbo or supercharged, I will use a higher temp rated synthetic oil. Amsoil or Mobil1 depending upon if Mobil1 is specified or not (my 93 GMC Typhoon recommend Mobil1, so that is what I used). My twin turbo'd boat used a semi-synthetic, since the turbo's were water cooled, and the thermostat was 140 F degrees (stock Mercruiser thermostat temp.). All depends on the application / usage.

Note that I will not use 5W-anything in any engine (have seen too much wear caused by these lower viscosity oils). Understand that they are 5W- only when cold, but then that is when most wear occurs! Have heard all of the reasoning that the lower viscosity oil flows better, so lube is better at cold temps. But, the fact remains that higher viscosity will protect better. I am convinced that 5W- oil specification is a ploy by the auto manufacturers to meet the CAFE requirements only, and 10W- oils are allowed by most auto manf. (check your owner's manual) as an alternative. Yes, your gas milage will suffer slightly with 10W-, but will have less engine wear - your call.

Plasticman
Old 07-11-2004, 11:52 PM
C66 Racing

Plasticman,
Thanks for the testimonial. I appreciate the positive endorsement.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:34 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Subdriver - while I refuse to drop into yet another Amsoil debate, your post is nothing more than an advertisement (I note you are an Amsoil dealer and are suggesting we connect our purchase with you) - are you an approved forum vendor?
Old 07-12-2004, 08:36 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My post on the C3 forum was that this was a blatant conflict of interest.
Gary

Originally Posted by ctjackster
Subdriver - while I refuse to drop into yet another Amsoil debate, your post is nothing more than an advertisement (I note you are an Amsoil dealer and are suggesting we connect our purchase with you) - are you an approved forum vendor?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:34 AM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

i wouldn't use either in a C2, especially those with high performance, or HD, engines.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:26 AM
C66 Racing

Yes, thanks for asking. As I posted in a reply to Gary in the C3 forum, I wasn't trying to mislead anyone, nor do I really want to drop into an AMSOIL debate either. I really only try to reply to the questions or to correct misleading info. If someone says Mobil 1 is an excellent oil, you are not going to see me disagreeing.

I did post in every forum that I was a forum vendor and that the new AMSOIL link was related to my Independent AMSOIL Dealership. Sales via my dealership go to support this site and my race team. Sorry I didn't make this clearer somehow.

I had a supporting vendor tag, but it disappeared with the forum software change. The forum is working on that.

My story:
I had never heard of AMSOIL until I started looking for the "best" oil to use in my car this season. I lost a motor to bearing failure last year and wanted as much protection as I could get. I really can't afford to be racing in the SCCA T1 class and the motor failure really hurt me. During my search I discovered AMSOIL and was impressed with their corporate history, products, and test results.

I don't claim to have the knowledge to really debate any of you about oil. The above data is from independent lab tests. While I fully understand there may be skepticism about their validity, the fact is that these test results are posted on AMSOIL's corporate website and if they weren't true I'm sure that AMSOIL would've been sued by some other oil company. Others have said test results can be manipulated. I certainly do agree with that. But I personally wondered why I couldn't find any other oil company who had done so and posted the results on their corporate website.

Mobil 1 is a good oil. AMSOIL is a good oil. That's all I'm trying to say. Even if only a few people buy AMSOIL, and trust me I'm not putting ExxonMobile out of business here, then the site benefits and my race team may get through the season without going bankrupt.

Thanks for the consideration.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:32 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sub - nice, forthcoming and non-argumentative reply. thanks.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Subdriver, Getting off topic here..... Does your Forum nickname indicated that you previously drove Submarines, or have I misinterpreted it's meaning? Just curious......
Old 07-14-2004, 12:30 PM
jimdvan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I figure its been discussed before but can someone clue me in regarding the use of diesel oil in C-2's?
Old 07-14-2004, 08:14 PM
C66 Racing

Sub - nice, forthcoming and non-argumentative reply. thanks.
Thanks. I really am not trying to antagonize anyone here and I do realize 99% of us are likely to stick with whatever our tried and true favorite is, much like tires, or automobile manufacturer, etc. But, I figured that if even 1% of the 60,000 or so members of this forum bought an oil change from me, I might be able to buy an extra set or two of tires this year, something I badly need to prepare for the SCCA Runoffs. So I'm trying to reach that 1% without bothering the other 99% of you.

Subdriver, Getting off topic here..... Does your Forum nickname indicated that you previously drove Submarines, or have I misinterpreted it's meaning? Just curious......
You are on the money. I am a career Submarine officer on shore duty in Millington TN. I have completed three tours of duty on submarines. I was a Junior Officer and Combat systems Officer on SSN-714, Navigator/Operations Officer on SSN-772, and Executive Officer on SSBN-735 (Blue). Prior to serving in the submarine community, I did a tour with an A-7 squadron embarked on CVN-65. Next tour will be command somewhere.
So if you see sporadic responses from me, please keep in mind my "day" job keeps me pretty busy.

I figure its been discussed before but can someone clue me in regarding the use of diesel oil in C-2's?
Not sure about the C2. I know AMSOIL's best diesel oil, their Series 3000 5w30 is certified by AMSOIL to meet the requirements of GM spec GM4718M for the C5/Z06. I am actually considering switching to that from the current Series 2000 20w50 I am using when it cools off a little.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:28 AM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Subdriver, I'm up in Groton at the "new" Submarine Learning Center. I handle the Submarine On-Board Training (SOBT)program. As my handle reflects, my career has be in submarine repair. Been on AS11 in Groton, AS36 in Norfolk, AS33 in LaMadd, AS39 in Norfolk, NSSF in Groton, as well as various shore tours at Subscol, CSL and Guam. Good to have you on board this forum. Currently reviving a 64 Roadster. Should be done next spring.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:30 AM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by Subfixer
Subdriver, I'm up in Groton at the "new" Submarine Learning Center. I handle the Submarine On-Board Training (SOBT)program. As my handle reflects, my career has be in submarine repair. Been on AS11 in Groton, AS36 in Norfolk, AS33 in LaMadd, AS39 in Norfolk, NSSF in Groton, as well as various shore tours at Subscol, CSL and Guam. Good to have you on board this forum. Currently reviving a 64 Roadster. Should be done next spring.
Subfixer,
Love your handle.
I'm sure we have crossed paths somehow as at one point in time I have either been based at or done deployed upkeeps at all of the above. You going to be there next spring? I think I do a touch and go in Groton for training enroute to my next sea duty. Maybe it's only going to be Newport, but I'll drive through there twice. Would love to see your car.
Actually been a member for over three years now, just don't get down to this particular forum very often as I have a Z06 and use it almost exclusively for racing.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Sent you email.

Get notified of new replies

To AMSOIL vs Mobil 1

Quick Reply: AMSOIL vs Mobil 1