C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I think I threw a rod today....Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:22 PM
oprahrider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I threw a rod today....Ouch!

It was a nice sunny day so I took my 66 Vert to the office today. I got about a mile from my work when all hell breaks loose under the hood. It was kind of weird though, I never lost oil pressure, The motor will fire up right now and read 30 lbs at idle and 50-60 at 1500 rpms. No oil puking out of the block or oil pan. Just a screeching and clanking sound from deep within the motor........... Heck it even "runs" pretty smooth. I had it towed home anyways!

My bet is a rod that broke in 2 pieces. What do you guys think?
I will post some pictures as soon as Steve Lu Visi has a chance to crack it open. To quote Tom Cruise from Days of Thunder. "I don't know much about cars, they told me to drive and I could".....lol
Old 07-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What were you doing when this happened? High RPM or just cruising down the street?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:40 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

With good oil pressure and a smooth running engine, my opinion is something came loose not related to the engine. Is it an automatic? I had a cracked flex plate once and I coulda swore it was the rods gone. Flywheel, clutch and balancer issues will transfer noises to the crankcase. Hope it's not serious.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

Could be a bearing froze up? Doesn't sound too good whatever it is.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:38 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 550 Likes on 317 Posts

The engine has normal oil pressure and runs 'smooth'.. ? .. I doubt you broke a con rod. I once had a rod snap in two sitting at a stoplight while the engine was IDLING. Everything stopped IMMEDIATELY .. ! .. It was enough to ruin both the original block and oil pan. It will be interesting to know what that 'screeching and clanking' sound in your engine turns out to be.

John
Old 07-09-2004, 12:08 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
The engine has normal oil pressure and runs 'smooth'.. ? .. I doubt you broke a con rod.

Speaking from experience, you may not necessarily have oil puking from the engine. In my case, the oil pressure went to zero, and that steady knocking kinda sinks your stomach. I was lucky, I got away with a replacement crank and rod set.

I agree that it sounds like maybe something in the flexplate area or bellhousing pan is loose and rubbing.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:33 PM
six-T-six
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

You may have just spun some of your bearings. Hopefully not too much damage was done.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Bandito
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I spun a rod bearing some time ago. Similar symptoms . Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To I think I threw a rod today....Ouch!

Quick Reply: I think I threw a rod today....Ouch!