C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What made you get a mid-year?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 09:42 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default What made you get a mid-year?

It seems to me that there is alot of posting about appreciation and investment. I think it's an added bonus that these cars hold or even gain value over time. Let's face it, unless you do a high volumre of cars, there are other easier ways to make money. From my standpoint:

- they look great and are timeless
- are representative of a time when cars were more pure (no cupholders)
- you can work on them
- they are a cars for "car people"

For people looking for their first vet my advice is to buy one to enjoy, drive, and have as a hoby.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:04 AM
65SBRoadster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What made you get a mid-year? (crw41)

Amen. Everyone has a right to an opinion of which is best, best looking, best value. NADA seems to agree with you and I about mid years. If I could buy another right now, it would be a '59, then a '75, '87 & C5, C6 - all Verts.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,984 Likes on 4,804 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: What made you get a mid-year? (65SBRoadster)

My dad bought the 67 becouse when he was growing up his neigbor always had a midyear. also they don't look all that bad either
Old 07-03-2004, 11:46 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

A friend in high school got a new 65 and I was hooked. It took me 10 years before I got my own buy I still have it and they can bury me in it!!

[Modified by 65air_coupe, 4:47 PM 7/3/2004]
Old 07-03-2004, 01:01 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Re: What made you get a mid-year? (65air_coupe)

They look great, and it was the fastest, best handling car you could buy in 67. Car and Driver magazine did a road test on a Lamborghini Countach with a rear wing, and said in the review: "The best speed secret in dollar value is 'leave off the rear wing option, pick up 10 mph, and save $5000.' But if you really want to go fast, buy a mid-year Big Block Corvette!"
Old 07-03-2004, 01:53 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I have driven Corvettes for 20 years. And enjoyed them very much. But I have never considered them as investments. I have always viewed them as enjoyable, albeit expensive, hobbies.

Why a C2? They are cranky, crude, noisey, stinky but I love them. The styling is timeless as you have noted. The production run was only five years so they are relatively rare. They turn heads wherever you go. Shake, rattle and roll is the best way to describe how they drive. But basically they are just fun cars. And fun is what a hobby is all about.

Old 07-03-2004, 03:42 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a cheap fun car in 1971 ($2k). No longer cheap, but still fun.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 202 Likes on 126 Posts

I've always loved 'em, and this is my third.
Besides, got a great price on this that was impossible to say no to.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:22 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

I bought a 64 because I couldn't find a solid axle and I got impatient. Bought a 60 about 6 months later and sold the 64. That was 28 years ago (still have the 60).
Old 07-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I liked the C2 body since it was first introduced in 1963. I always wanted one, and it took a few years, but I finally got one.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Lightfoot
Le Mans Master

CI 1 through 10 Vet

I dont really know what made me get one, other than the fact i have wanted one ever since before i was old enough to drive. I Was around 42 when i bought the 65. Some things are worth waiting for.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a mid-year because it was a logical choice. About 13 years ago I decided to indulge myself with a new toy. Smog regs had prevented me from doing what I like to do with a car (hot rod it!) so I only considered pre-smog cars. I was open to anything with potential and that could be built up at reasonable prices. The Corvette's relatively light weight, near 50/50 balance, better aerodynamics (for the period), and having the cheapest-to-build engine around, narrowed down the search. Knowing that I would eventually replace many of it's components, I wasn't too concerned about which engine it had (If I'd planned on keeping it stock I wouldn't have settled for less than an L76).
Old 07-04-2004, 12:26 AM
panchop
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What made you get a mid-year? (Vetterodder)

after a life on bikes, with the only cars i've owned since 79 things to haul bikes to the track, or to the repair shop i decided to finaly get a car. when i started looking around i decide if i was gonna buy a nice car i wanted something that could always bring a smile to my face. nothing on 4 wheels does that better for me then a midyear vette. that includes ferraris, porches or or any other muscle car. so there it is.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:46 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Default Re: What made you get a mid-year? (paul67)

BTW Paul67, that's a terrific pic of your Vette. It seems literally to be leaping forward. Gotta love these cars.

I was at the Palo Alto CA concourse a couple of weeks ago, with Ferrari the featured car this year, and nothing looked really good to me except the midyears and a 68 Ferrari 275GTB coupe, which has somewhat similar styling.

Old 07-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Re: What made you get a mid-year? (LouieM)

Lets see.. From as long as I could remember pop has had his 66.. From the time I could actually remember it sat in the garage collecting dust.. Well that was from about 80 until after I joined the NAVY in 93.. I always loved that car... It sat in the garage with an inch of dust on it.. He parked it b/c the brakes needed to be gone thru.. Well in about 91 we moved and we trailered it to the new house. In 93 I graduated and decided to go in to the NAVY.. After I had gone to boot camp, I THINK.. He realized that he wasn't getting any younger.. So I come back and he original thought about just getting the brakes fixed and getting it drivable again..

Well we all know about the while I'm at it ites.... Yep he did a frame off...

When I found out about it he still wouldn't let me drive it.... I finished up my 6 yr stint and found that I would rather be out of the NAVY than in... I found a good job and have been very fortunate.... I thought you know what.. I want a midyear... I started looking and found my pop very receptive to the fact that I was no longer dumping the money into sport compacts as I had done for the previous 4 yrs...

I would stop by to see him.. (He lives 3 hours away) and we would talk vettes and what I had seen. He'd hand me the keys to his and say lets take a ride.... Unfortunately his vette had never been wet from Mother nature since the restore.. It's now 03 and been ten years.. Yep it rained the first time out.. Oh but it gets better.. The second and third times too.. Oh he loves me b/c I'm his only son but I hear about it everytime I see him..

I bought my 66 last year at 27 and the pic I have below is from a week or so after I bought it.. Dad has made me a good man.. He doesn't get on the net but I know that he knows he has made me what I am today.. This vette that I have worked on all winter is my trophy to him.. It made me proud last month to take it up to him again and show it off...

We showed it off a little to much though as one time when we were out I got a speeding ticket.... Okay I've rambled on long enough.. Happy 4th everyone and I'm going to bed... Dave.. [IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-04-2004, 11:58 PM
67wave_saver
Racer

I graduated from high school in 1967. My best friend had rich parents. They bought him a red 67 SB with black interior for a graduation present. The first time I sat in his car I was in Love (with the car). My friend said "Well Ken, maybe you will own one some day. 34 years later I did. A red 67 SB with black interior. I'm still in love with the car. I often wonder if it is the same car.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:24 AM
Mikey1
Racer

Default Re: What made you get a mid-year? (67wave_saver)

There is proably only one thing that comes close to the body lines of a C2...

Get notified of new replies

To What made you get a mid-year?

Old 07-05-2004, 08:42 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,631 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Default Re: What made you get a mid-year? (Mikey1)

I second (or thrice?) timeless stying. I remember when the 63s were introduced and how revolutionary they seemed. I still think they are just about the best looking car every produced. I also remember an incident in the mid-60s while traveling with my Dad behind a C2 convertible on the freeway and suddenly he did an abrupt lane change. There was no swaying, no heaving to, no rolling tires, or any other drama. It just changed lanes like only a Corvette could do at that time of land yachts and loosey-goosey suspensions. I knew right then that I had to have one some day.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:26 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought a 65 coupe with a 327/350 when I was 21, but only hung on to it for 6 months before the insurance costs ate me alive...Man, I loved that car. Been a fan ever since. Anyway, three years later, my ex-wife was forced to sell her 63 convertible 327/300 due to credit card debt...got it REAL cheap. I still have it today. Although it has been in various states of disassembly in my garage for the better part of 16 years, I hope to have it back on the road by next summer.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: What made you get a mid-year? (LouieM)

Louie,
That pic was take on Canada Day (July 1) near our National Museum for Science and Technology. Unfortunately I blew a Holley power valve about 10 minutes later and had to limp home. I haven't driven since. If you followed my other posts I am trying to convert to a Carter/Edelbrock but with some frustrations. I hope to be back on the road next week.

Quick Reply: What made you get a mid-year?